Home

Center Mid defense issue look at player instructions

This is a discussion on Center Mid defense issue look at player instructions within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
Rookie

BearsNVA's Arena

OVR: 1
Center Mid defense issue look at player instructions

I noticed something odd when looking at player instructions that my team, Harrogate Town was using on their default.

They play a 4-4-2, and my CM's default defensive instructions were to "cover wing," which by all logic (unless you play narrow in shape,) makes no sense.

I changed the player instructions for my CMs to "cover middle," and they actually dropped in the middle and were helping the center backs in the defensive 3rd.

It's the only team I've looked at. What do other people see on their player instructions for CMs? I'm curious what other teams have it set as.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
Immense Dimension

electrickeeper's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Center Mid defense issue look at player instructions

I think that it's set to cover wing by default to cover for when the LB/RB makes a run forward. If you have the outside backs set to stay back while attacking, it's certainly overkill.

- Playstation Football Association Career(online manager mode)
Old 10-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
Rookie

BearsNVA's Arena

OVR: 1

Once it's changed it seems like they drop and help when the ball is in the middle channel. If the ball is in one of the outside channels, they still act like spectators. SO FRUSTRATING

I swear there is something going on with formations. I thought this last year. The 3 cb formations were the flavor of the day. Every team was running with them. It seemed and still does, that even if you have 4 backs, the game is playing like you have 3. The back line is so compact it leaves the outside wide open.

I dont know how programming AI works, but it seems like the AI is programmed to cover a certain way that matches one type of formation, no matter what you are running, or how you set it up.

I've tried making my formation as wide as possible on offense and defense, and it doesn't matter. They hold hands like they are playing a game of Red Rover.

I don't know. Sorry for posting this thread. I can't articulate this very well, lol.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0

It's been that way since FIFA 20. It always defaults to cover wing for some reason. I always change it to cover center and I don't experience the issues that many others have been seeing.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #5
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
It's been that way since FIFA 20. It always defaults to cover wing for some reason. I always change it to cover center and I don't experience the issues that many others have been seeing.
^^^THIS^^^ I haven't had issues that others are seeing this year as well and I have been using individual player instructions since last year. I think some people may be ignoring this aspect of the game. Not saying the game is without its warts, but player instructions are key in how your AI teammates play/respond.

For example, last night I played a game without setting player instructions or tactics and decided to try and play with the same gameplan as when I set up my tactics/instruction...Got my doors blown off 5-0. When I set my tactics and instructions, I don't get blown out...ever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeaf16
^^^THIS^^^ I haven't had issues that others are seeing this year as well and I have been using individual player instructions since last year. I think some people may be ignoring this aspect of the game. Not saying the game is without its warts, but player instructions are key in how your AI teammates play/respond.

For example, last night I played a game without setting player instructions or tactics and decided to try and play with the same gameplan as when I set up my tactics/instruction...Got my doors blown off 5-0. When I set my tactics and instructions, I don't get blown out...ever.

Yep. A lot of the gameplay feedback is tied into tactics and formations used. Most people just play one formation and don't touch tactics, but the game plays very differently with different formations and tactics. Just like real managers adjust their tactics and formations each game, it's important to do that in FIFA as well. Formation A may work great against Formation B but it could be horrible against Formation C, so you've gotta adjust each game.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #7
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13

I also always set mids to cover center and all backs to stay back. I also like the CDM set to drop between defenders.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Operation Sports mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 10-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #8
Pro

ReturnoftheTmac's Arena

I set every positions instructions etc and even the opponents to try and get this game to resemble something close to real football but it just doesn’t at this moment.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »