Home

Is "Pressure" the same as "Volume" ?

This is a discussion on Is "Pressure" the same as "Volume" ? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 10-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #1
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

OVR: 0
Is "Pressure" the same as "Volume" ?

So I see people CONSTANTLY, when taking about this game, refer to Volume Strikers, as "Pressure Fighters"... To the point where in the EA UFC universe/ meta, "Pressure" has become synonymous with "Volume".

This is a major issue, and I feel like this fundamental misunderstanding is confusing a lot of people. Possibly even to the extent of being detrimental to the game.

Pressure fighting, IS NOT the same as volume striking.

When someone is playing UFC 4, and throwing 140 strikes a round, people refer to it as "pressure fighting". Well, that is not what pressure fighting is. That is a volume striker.

Conor Mcgregor is a Pressure Fighter, but is the farthest thing from a Volume Striker. "Pressure", IS NOT synonymous with "Volume". Conor gets into your space and pressures with his presence, with feints, with mix ups, and pattern setting. He pressure's you into over thinking, and over reacting. Then counters you when his pressure makes you mess up.

Now someone like Max Holloway is a Volume Striker. Yes he is "pressuring" you, but what he is doing is very different from what Conor is doing. Max throws high volume to overwhelm his opponents, but when is the last time you saw Max 1 punch KO someone? Never. He doesn't have the same type of power as a fighter like Conor

The problem with UFC 4 is that Conor and Max both play the exact same way. You can throw 150 strikes a round with both of them, and rock people 10 times a round with both of them. The problem with UFC 4 is that there is no difference in these 2 fundamentally different styles. Go ahead, pick Conor, and throw 120 strikes a round. You can get away with it, because UFC 4 doesn't differentiate between "pressure" and "volume".

When people think Pressure fighting is the same as Volume striking, they use it as a crutch, an excuse, and as a way to defend their playstyle. "Just get good and learn how to defend pressure" Except for the fact that what they are doing is not "pressure" at all, but mindless volume that the game both allows, and caters to. When you can throw non stop volume with little drawback, but you also have huge power the entire time, there is next to no reason to play any other way.

We need to have a better understanding that no, just because you are throwing non stop 4 strike combos doesn't make you a "pressure fighter". And the game needs to understand that these are 2 fundamentally different types of fighters.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Last edited by Haz____; 10-29-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2020, 12:44 AM   #2
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Re: Is "Pressure" the same as "Volume" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
So I see people CONSTANTLY, when taking about this game, refer to Volume Strikers, as "Pressure Fighters"... To the point where in the EA UFC universe/ meta, "Pressure" has become synonymous with "Volume".

This is a major issue, and I feel like this fundamental misunderstanding is confusing a lot of people. Possibly even to the extent of being detrimental to the game.

When someone is playing UFC 4, and throwing 140 strikes a round, people refer to it as "pressure fighting". Well, that is not what pressure fighting is. That is a volume striker.

Conor Mcgregor is a Pressure Fighter, but is the farthest thing from a Volume Striker. "Pressure", IS NOT synonymous with "Volume". Conor gets into your space and pressures with his presence, with feints, with mix ups, and pattern setting. He pressure's you into over thinking, and over reacting. Then counters you when his pressure makes you mess up.

Now someone like Max Holloway is a Volume Striker. Yes he is "pressuring" you, but what he is doing is very different from what Conor is doing. Max throws high volume to overwhelm his opponents, but when is the last time you saw Max 1 punch KO someone? Never. He doesn't have the same type of power as a fighter like Conor

The problem with UFC 4 is that Conor and Max both play the exact same way. You can throw 150 strikes a round with both of them, and rock people 10 times a round with both of them. The problem with UFC 4 is that there is no difference in these 2 fundamentally different styles. Go ahead, pick Conor, and throw 120 strikes a round. You can get away with it, because UFC 4 doesn't differentiate between "pressure" and "volume".

When people think Pressure fighting is the same as Volume striking, they use it as a crutch, an excuse, and as a way to defend their playstyle. "Just get good and learn how to defend pressure" Except for the fact that what they are doing is not "pressure" at all, but mindless volume that the game both allows, and caters to. When you can throw non stop volume with little drawback, but you also have huge power the entire time, there is next to no reason to play any other way.

We need to have a better understanding that no, just because you are throwing non stop 4 strike combos doesn't make you a "pressure fighter". And the game needs to understand that these are 2 fundamentally different types of fighters.
Solid points man.

Other than the mindless part, (being that you're always at risk with vuln if you get too predictable, which I get from people queuing up meta combinations to take advantage of the egregious issues for the defensive player at the moment) this is a pretty spot on thread. Like very solid, and this are difference that I would like to see play out in gameplay, you know actually have all of the other stat differences matter more outside of power and health. I really think we'll benefit if we have:

A. A good portion 3-4 Piece combinations taxing heavier on the Long Term Stamina, specifically when thrown again when the short term stam is recovering. However, not to the point where this would make it useless, the move levels should obviously play a factor on how much drain gets taken away and hopefully this will lead to "playing more like the fighter" will yield better results.

B. Slowing down strikes in combination in general. I don't know if you've guys had noticed, but before the jab body teep/jab feint body teep was EGREGIOUSLY fast, to the point where you could lunge damn near across the octagon and poke somebody with it. That got slowed down to more realistic standards + based on their stats. This needs to be done to ALL combinations IMO, and let the stats carry out the speed/flow of the strike. Nearly all overhand combinations are blitzing fast in comparison to how they look naked, and with some of these errors within the block, it puts the defensive fighter at a disadvantage, ESPECIALLY with the tracking issues too.

3. Fix ALL of the tracking issues with the lunges, and the signature lunges. I'd really advocate for people to post more when strikes land when they're not supposed. I'll probably create a thread sometime soon.

4. Kenetic also pointed out, the LOWEST drop off in power was 16% at extremely low stamina. And IMO, that's terrible. At the very least, if you have 30% stamina remaining, there should absolutely be a bigger drop off in power ,leaving only your best strikes as your saving grace if you get put in such a position. I'd suggest having the 10% drop off in power happen once you hit 80% stam, 12.5% drop off at 70%, etc etc, you get where I'm going from here.

Thankfully, this is only the 3rd month now that the games been out, so hopefully these fixes can come as soon as possible. I know UFC 3 had about 13 Gameplay Updates with various patches and tuners, this game desperately needs MASSIVE changes and I'd like to believe everyone believes that as well. EA has done well listening to the community with the game at the moment, now we're going to have to rely on them being consistent.
E-Sports Summer Series EA UFC Champion (Season 1)
ESFL UFC 4 Las Vegas 2022 World Champion
Old 10-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Facts Facts Facts!
Old 10-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
Agreed, but not entirely.

'Pressure fighting' just means 'constant aggressive positioning'. Not allowing your opponents to find their range or properly set up their own offense. By constantly being in your opponents face, they're forced to retreat or fight you from positions/angles/distances they'd prefer not to. As you said, this doesn't require volume at all. Just positioning and at least some offensive threat.

However, constantly moving forward, throwing a thousand strikes per second is most certainly pressure fighting. Not because of the thousand strikes, but because you're still forcing interactions and dictating the pace aggressively.

You just don't see it a lot in real life, because:
1) You need a Colby Covington-level gas tank, which only a handful of fighters in history even come close to, to keep that up for 3, let alone 5 rounds.

2) It's one of the easiest ways to get knocked the **** out. (Werdum-Stipe, Griffin-Silva, Aldo-McGregor to name a few)

That said, until single strikes become significantly more dangerous and fighters get more realistic gas tanks, aggressive volume striking is pretty much the only type of pressure fighting that actually pays off in the game..

Last edited by DaisukEasy; 10-30-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
Rookie

Great post

Agree with it all
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
Pro

My definition of pressure in EA UFC is simple. You never let go of "forward" on the joystick.....I hope this definition turns into a more realistic one in the future but thats what is is now.

Usually volume follows this but technically speaking it is not a requirement. So I agree they are separate things.

Now obviously when we start talking about real life MMA a lot of definitions and words used around here are going to change.

Imagine if we started talking about how unbalanced it was that Stipe could spam body-shots when he fought DC.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »