Home

Best way to avoid cap penalty?

This is a discussion on Best way to avoid cap penalty? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 10-30-2020, 03:59 AM   #1
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

OVR: 0
Best way to avoid cap penalty?

So I stupidly drafted a RG with my 6th pick in the draft who is a 72 normal development.. come week 3-4 in the regular season and realize my team has only about 15 million left in cap space for the next year.

The cap penalty is 13 million for him.. so what is the best option to lower my cap for the next few years? Trading him now? Releasing him now? Waiting a year and then releasing/trading him? He is not currently playing and is backing up Will Hernandez (79 overall)

my other option is to cut other players but we're making a playoff run and don't want to mess up my team talent wise. Should have just traded the pick down probably
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2020, 04:55 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Best way to avoid cap penalty?

Releasing him will never make any sense.

72 OVR - even at normal dev - is still a very good starting point, he should absolutely play. Can easily be 80+ after 1-2 seasons and especially at OL VERY above average starter. OL demands in CFM are crazy (70 OVR guys expect 5-7m per year), so even in these terms he will be cheap for at least 4 years.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernWarrior
So I stupidly drafted a RG with my 6th pick in the draft who is a 72 normal development.. come week 3-4 in the regular season and realize my team has only about 15 million left in cap space for the next year.

The cap penalty is 13 million for him.. so what is the best option to lower my cap for the next few years? Trading him now? Releasing him now? Waiting a year and then releasing/trading him? He is not currently playing and is backing up Will Hernandez (79 overall)

my other option is to cut other players but we're making a playoff run and don't want to mess up my team talent wise. Should have just traded the pick down probably

Don’t take this as being a jerk:

You drafted a bust. You should do either:
1- attempt to develop
2- bench for better players.

Or clear you cap if you don’t play realistic. That’s the fun of video games is to make it yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

That's not a bust, that's a borderline starter-quality o-linemen right now (and definitely in the future) and they don't grow on trees in this game.

Keep and develop him. There are enough O-line injuries in the game that having a good backup as he develops will be beneficial at some point.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:

This is one of the little small things that add some value to Franchise that I like that really impacts what you’re able to do team wise.

Get away from the OVR’s and look at the positional ratings in relation to what you want/like to do.
- pass more vs run etc

If their positional ratings are not much different (at least 10pts), you can trade Hernandez being older, for some other needed pieces etc.

***for OL, STR is a top rating to be mindful of as it impacts the BLK hold timer across the board, whether pass or run.

Last edited by khaliib; 10-30-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

If it were me:

Trade Hernandez

Start the rookie.

Focus train him weekly for 1-2 years and he should be 80 by end of year 2 which is a long term upgrade over Hernandez. Plus he will be younger and have more room to grow. He may still progress at another 1-2 overall a year and will be a key piece to your offensive line for a while.

If you want to keep Hernandez start the rookie elsewhere on the line. How is your other guard spot?

He is not a bust. Not by a long shot.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 10-30-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
If it were me:

Trade Hernandez

Start the rookie.

Focus train him weekly for 1-2 years and he should be 80 by end of year 2 which is a long term upgrade over Hernandez. Plus he will be younger and have more room to grow. He may still progress at another 1-2 overall a year and will be a key piece to your offensive line for a while.

If you want to keep Hernandez start the rookie elsewhere on the line. How is your other guard spot?

He is not a bust. Not by a long shot.
My other guards are great.. Quentin Nelson, Andrew Thomas (sorta sucks but fine for now), drafted a center who is now at 79, and Signed an RT for 2 years.

Unfortunately. the year before I drafted the LG... I signed Will Hernandez to a 2 year deal... would it still be a cap penalty to trade Hernandez on the 1st year of his 2 year deal?
Old 10-30-2020, 04:36 PM   #8
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
My other guards are great.. Quentin Nelson, Andrew Thomas (sorta sucks but fine for now), drafted a center who is now at 79, and Signed an RT for 2 years.

Unfortunately. the year before I drafted the LG... I signed Will Hernandez to a 2 year deal... would it still be a cap penalty to trade Hernandez on the 1st year of his 2 year deal?
I would wait until the off season but if you want the rookie to be your long term at that position I would personally play him over Hernandez.

Waiting till the off season then getting a pick for Hernandez would not cost you much in cap penalty.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »