Home

We need the qb dodge mechanic back...badly

This is a discussion on We need the qb dodge mechanic back...badly within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
We need the qb dodge mechanic back...badly

I don't know when they got rid of the QB dodge mechanic, but it really needs to make a return.

Well first they need to fix the canned QB escape animations so they don't take 10 years to finish and automatically get you sacked. But they then need to make it so they aren't random occurrences that you can't predict as the player and have no input in.

One of the most important ratings for scrambling QBs is Break Sack, but 1- you hardly ever break sacks which is not at all true for many scrambling qbs who dodge sacks multiple times a game, and 2- the player can't control it so it feels random and immersion breaking.

I also noticed that this year they took down the mechanic that they had last year for some reason. You used to be able to press R-trigger twice to completely become a runner and get access to all jukes and spin options while still in the pocket. The drawback between that and the traditional R-trigger mechanic was that you couldn't throw again until you came out of that mode.

They should just make it so tapping the R-trigger along with a direction does a QB dodge like they did some years ago. It would give player feedback to the gameplay in this area and give us back more control. It could also be a mechanic to use to protect QBs in the pocket from fumbling.

Ex-

R-Trigger static hold = Brace for Sack. This greatly reduces the chances of a QB fumbling and gives the player a choice between rolling the dice trying to throw out of the sack or scrabmling but having a greater risk of fumbling, or just eating the sack which sooooo many QBs do.

R-Trigger hold+move = This remains the main scrambling mechanic for running out of the pocket, completely unchanged.

R-Trigger directional tap = QB Dodge. Here is where the Break sack trait comes into play. This will dictate the chances of a broken sack animation (sped up hopefully) as well as just general quick pocket movement. Right now even QBs with high speed and acc move like Vans in the pocket until they break the line of scrimmage. This will make scrambling QBs viable even if they aren't Xfactor qbs.

R-Trigger double tap = Tjhis returns last years mechanic that pulls down passing windows completely and allows the QB to use spins and jukes in the pocket.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: We need the qb dodge mechanic back...badly

We were just talking about this in our league discord last night. I really miss that mechanic

And you can still use the running moves behind the LOS. You just have to hold R2 and L2

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games

Last edited by Jr.; 10-30-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
We were just talking about this in our league discord last night. I really miss that mechanic

And you can still use the running moves behind the LOS. You just have to hold R2 and L2

THanks for this! I hadn't seen anything that said it was still there.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

OVR: 0

I would like them to look into this more for next year also. I feel the break sack rating right now is mainly for throwing out of a sack rather than being warped into one But i do agree they need to look into more of it
Old 10-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #5
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Yeah I hate how long those break sack animations take as well as how long it takes to actual have control once the animation ends. A Lot of animations in this game take too long.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2020, 07:54 PM   #6
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Remember when they use to try and marry up some new features with the cover athlete? would have been the perfect time to create some new and improved pocket movement system (either M20 or M21 really). It's sort of telling to me how little they seem to care how close Madden follows the real thing anymore.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:35 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.

Totally not true. Miami sucks btw
Old 11-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #8
Rookie

The QB avoidance mechanic is still tied to the right stick, I do wish it got more attention, probably will soon especially with the Elite, Great, and good QBs being mobile guys who constantly find ways to evade sacks while maintaining their pocket presence.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »