Home

We need a little Christmas!

This is a discussion on We need a little Christmas! within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

OVR: 29
We need a little Christmas!

Enough has been said about 2020 and I have nothing really to add to it, except that it has been a rough ride and it all started with the loss of my father-in-law to Covid. I learned that my wife is even stronger than I though she was and she is holding herself and the family together. I think that she finds some comfort that we are moving to Peterbrough in April to be closer to her Mom. So, this will be her first Christmas without her father and the last Christmas in this home. The home we bought when we first got married 10 years ago and the first house that my to children will have memories of. No pressure on Christmas 2020.

So, let me get this out of the way:

I know it may be too early for this thread for some of you and I can appreciate that and may I say, please feel free to return when the time is right for you.

As you may know, I have been starting this thread for a few years going back now and I look forward to starting it every year. I have become friends with a lot of the guys that frequent this thread over the years and hope to make more going forward.

Christmas is a love of mine. I count down the days throughout the entire year (51 days and counting). My love for it has only grown and it has really changed for me the last 4 years. I am a 46 year old fart that loves Christmas and that I now get to share my favourite time of the year with my two kids. I only hope that I don't scare them away from it.

So, what is the purpose of this thread...well, I guess, it is to share our memories of Christmas past, our favourite Christmas songs and movies, to our favourite traditions. This year will be different for all of us. From social distancing to Covid shut downs. I pray that this year's Christmas is not ruined by the times we find ourselves in.

So, let me be the first to wish you Merry Christmas and to remind you to get your shopping done early. They are saying that do to the increase in online shopping because of Covid, that it may put extra pressure on the postal services. Just a little heads up. Other than stocking stuffers and a quick trip to Toys R Us to buy my daughter some LOL dolls, I am done all of my Christmas shopping. I just need to get my wrapping done.

Last edited by mike24forever; 11-04-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: We need a little Christmas!

I'm sorry Mike, you are absolutely positively 100% wrong... we need a LOTTA Christmas. after all, anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

usually I'm up in arms over the little extra weight I put on in November and December, but this year it's gonna be okay, I'll just shop in the husky department for clothes, okeydokey Okefenokee problem solved. I'm also hearing Walmart is going to have 3 Black Fridays this year, 2 on Saturday. what's better than a Friday combined with a Saturday, I dunno but probably not much lol.

bring on the foods, I am ready!

A Work in Progress
Old 11-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #3

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

I was reading over last year's Christmas thread yesterday lol.

I was wondering if we'd see a thread even earlier than last year and we got it!

This year obviously will be such a crazy and different holidays than we've ever had. Its not about commercialization, but won't really be about family either since people can't have gatherings.

Will be weird for sure. The people you only see once a year, you won't see them in 2020, so it might be 2 years between when you see certain people!

I'm sure someone will try setting up some virtual Christmas gathering, but I find that being weird just sitting down looking at a screen with several different screens going on at the same time.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

One of my favorite threads on OS each year.

First and foremost, Mike I'm sorry for your loss. I hope that while its hard, that you both will remember the good times and it will help you to cherish moments even more than before. This will be the 4th Christmas without my Mom and it hasn't gotten any easier. And in all honesty, it could very well be the last Christmas with my Dad as his health continues to go downhill.

I also want to encourage anyone that has the ability to please, please, please, consider giving donations to Toys for Tots, shopping for Angel Trees or any other charity that provides presents to kids on Christmas. With the state of our country, I'm so torn over the idea that a kid may not have Christmas because of the times we find ourselves in. I have started a challenge at my workplace to buy toys, electronics, or whatever that we will donate when the time comes in our area. So far we are kicking butt!

With all of that out of the way, I'm excited for Christmas as my son is 5 and is really getting into toys and things that I like, so its like I'm getting this stuff too. He's wanted and wanted a Nintendo Switch so that will be his big gift this year. I cannot wait to see his face when he sees it.

I have actually completed all of my shopping but still find myself grabbing things here and there for various people and reasons.

I look forward to discussing and sharing our Christmas stories with each other this year! 2020 hasn't been ideal in any way shape or form, but I hope that if nothing else it reminds us to cherish these moments we have with family and friends just a little more.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 11-05-2020, 07:47 PM   #5
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

It brings me joy knowing that you guys look forward to the Christmas thread each year. I have gone back and read previous years, just like Maj said. As I get older, I post here less, but I read a lot more. I start thinking about the thread in August, and I knew that this year's thread would be a bit different.

I love the idea of donating to Toys for Tots and other charities for children. ExtremeGamer has his yearly 24 hour marathon that raises money to fulfill wishes for sick children. I'll edit this later with the name of the charity. I donate to it every year, but I am drawing a blank on it's name. It has become part of my families Christmas traditions. I talk to my wife about it as it approaches and give her updates while Scott is playing for the 24 hours. I try to watch as much of it as possible. I also check in with Scott to make sure he's doing well during it. It was heartbreaking the year his internet went out. I felt so bad for him. Now he has his 2 sons doing it along side him. How awesome is that?

I love seeing the same guys post in this thread every year. It is like clock work. I see the views go up after I post the tread for the first time, and I know who has read the first post and then I see the names from the initial "LIKES", and then I wait for you guys to post. It is amazing how much this thread has become part of my Christmas traditions. I hope we are around doing this years from now.

Last edited by mike24forever; 11-05-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #6
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I believe the charity is Extra Life

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 11-06-2020, 05:47 AM   #7
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Checking in... tree went up on November 1st. My job gives more time off for holidays than any place I’ve ever been, so that’s cool. Christmas should be relatively normal for me as my family is really small and we keep it lowkey anyway. Looking forward to giving, eating, and yup, there’s a special Christmas Friday NFL game.

I’d like to watch more animated Christmas classic movies this year. The claymation ones are what sticks in my mind from childhood.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 11-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I believe the charity is Extra Life

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
That's the name of the charity. Extra Life. Thank you for posting that.

Welcome back Slick and I did not know there was a football game on Christmas day. That's awesome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »