Home

Does shading work AT ALL??!!!!

This is a discussion on Does shading work AT ALL??!!!! within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0
Does shading work AT ALL??!!!!

Good god. I hate to complain about this nonsense at this point. I think we all know this hasn’t been effective since it’s inception, but I am now at a tipping point after giving up one more GD shotgun slant route from the goaline for a TD. I played man and shaded underneath and inside. And, my CB isn’t even CLOSE to covering this!!! I totally get the fact that irl even if u tell a cb to watch for the slant that this is a hard route to cover. I get it. It’s quick. U might try to jam the wr and the wr might release better. It get it. I get it all. But this GD game!!!!!

At the very least, I simply want to see my CB TRY to cover the underneath inside slant when I shade him that way!!!!

Give me a swat. Give me a hit after reception. Give me SOMETHING that looks like my CB heard the call, ‘shade inside and underneath. Look for the slant.’ UGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I am playing all-madden sim franchise vs cpu only. I’m not talking about comp vs humans just to be clear.

What do u guys do? What does anybody do to cover this? Specifically on the goaline? Should I go 4-3 cover 3 and shade down? Nickel man shade down and inside? Should I only shade inside? Or only shade underneath? Is there some random playcall that specifically covers slants best?

I am at an absolute loss, here. I get it. Video games are hard to make. I get it. Creating this type of specification on any play with tiny little computer players is difficult. I get it. But, GD!!!! Why even have this shading mechanic if it doesn’t even come CLOSE to covering properly?!!!!! And, on top of that, wtf is the cpu calling on MY slants??!!! Especially, on the goaline? Because, while I can get some TDs that way, there have been moments where their CB completely chucks Julio to the OUTSIDE and he ends up running around his elbow to get to his a$$!!! And, I’ll get sacked or try to force it and throw an int.

Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Does shading work AT ALL??!!!!

Try calling press-man with underneath shading (to make sure your DBs do their best to mug the receivers) with a cornerback over every receiver so you can jam them all. Safeties and linebackers (by role in the formation, not specifically the position of the player you've deployed in that role) typically will not align themselves to play press coverage, so you need more CBs on the field, so if you are playing 4-3 against 11 personnel (3 WRs), I am guessing one receiver is coming free on a quick hitter easily.

Bring a blitz in front of that press-man look. The slant is a quick route, so the best way to stop it is to make sure the quarterback never throws the ball, and you won't have much time to stop it in the first place. Nickel Double A Gap Mid Blitz is something I always have in the front of my mind as my defense gets pressed up against the goal posts; at some point, you have to attack.

Also try leveraging the DB controls to take care of the route yourself. If you know the slant is coming, you should be able to confidently play as the defensive back and pressing the receiver yourself. At the very least, if you don't want to play as a CB, you should be able to user a linebacker and park right under the receiver's route.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Yeah, I think I’ve tried everything u mentioned.

My most frequent play choice is nickel mid blitz as u mentioned. For the reasons U mentioned. Normally this is vs 3 wide as well. And, therefore, it doesn’t matter who I user. If I user the mlb on the TE who may be in the slot, the cpu will throw to the wr. If I cover the wr, the cpu will throw to the TE. So, I feel stuck there and in a lose-lose scenario. There’s never a single wr or TE that I ‘know’ is getting the slant. They all run slants.

I’m wondering if it’s better to ‘show blitz’ to get up there or whether ‘press’ guarantees press? Again, I feel like I’ve tried both of those. But, maybe specifically using press is better than show blitz? Even though they both like up tight to the line?

Another option ive used that works better anywhere else than the goaline (although, I’m starting to wonder now) is Tampa 2 and change to hard flat or call cover 2 hard flat. I can user the mlb pretty well and this would allow my mlb to zone in the middle and possibly cover ALL 3 slant wr/tes. Lol. I think I’m going to try that next time.

But, I’ll say it again, what’s so frustrating is using those shade options and seeing your D players sort of pause, then look outside and turn and watch their man beat them for a TD inside. Lol. U know? Like, I just want to see better effort from my digital buddies. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

Slant routes are deadly this year for the cpu. They tend to call it a lot, especially in goal line situation. I think most people here would suggest the same which is play press, shade like you said you been doing and go from there..and also make sure its a corner covering and not a linebacker.

I have had some success with shading like that, but it only lasts so long if you don't get pressure then someone will be opened
Old 11-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
Rookie

A QB spy helps me eliminate a lot of slants. It aint exactly conventional, but it works.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

I have a question. Can someone confirm from somewhere that you can shade inside and underneath. I thought that you could only do one of the 4. Inside, Outside, Underneath or Overtop. So basically when i selected inside if I then selected underneath that it no longer shaded inside ?

What I'd like to see is a way that you can start cheating up and eventually the CPU takes you deep but I can't every seem so cheat up enough. Top stop these dump offs.

Also is there a way to shade position groups ? Can I get Linebackers to play tighter to line to cut off that quick TE move ?
Old 11-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
Pro

If you absolutely know it's coming (and yeah, this year, we all know it's coming), don't forget Guess Play Pass is an option too.

That's a really gamey solution, and I get that's not what you're after here, but anecdotally, it does help.

Everything else that's relevant..how hard quick slants should be to cover given how effective they are in real life, etc...you already talked about. I totally get the frustration...it's super rough to look at animations that look like the corner is completely oblivious.

I think what's happening is that the engine knows slants should be effective, and knows how hard they are to cover and how high-percentage they are, and rolls a win for the pass...but the only animations it has to represent that result are the DB just completely stoning out on the coverage.

And yeah...even knowing that, seeing it can be frustrating as hell.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

The thing is you can totally get rid of the slant in real life by selling out on it. But then the outside is open. I rarely see the CPU throw out routes or curls to outside receivers.

It just doesn’t feel like you can make them beat you another way.

I mean take for example the CPU can have 12 carries for 75 yards and be averaging 4 yards a pass and they still throw 3 times out of 4. I never see the CPU make me stop their run game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »