Home

The best / worst postseason ever

This is a discussion on The best / worst postseason ever within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
Rookie

Doyoueven85's Arena

OVR: 0
The best / worst postseason ever

What’s up,

I have been playing The Show since it was released 15 years ago. I love this game and love the game of baseball. Every year I have played season/ franchise mode. I’m one of those guys who chases realism. I always look for “Could this actually happen?”

I have just finished my Cardinals 2020 franchise. I finished the season with 94 wins. Champions of the central division. I remember saying, “ This is the most realistic season I’ve ever had “ . None of my hitters finished higher or lower than ten points away from their career total. I also didn’t have a single player hit more than five homer’s over a career high. On the pitching side I don’t think I really had anyone really under over achieving season stats.

I faced the Cincinnati Reds in the divisional round. In 19 games this season we were 10-9 against each other. I expected to play all five games. I swept the reds in three games. 5-2, 5-3, and 4-3. I was excited to advance but I had never pitched that well against the reds.

In the next round I faced the Dodgers. Fully expected this series to go six or seven games. The dodgers had lit up my pitching staff this season. I also swept the Dodgers in four games. 2-0, 4-3, 3-1, and 2-1 in ten innings. I had never pitched so well or hit so poorly in four games. All but one run in the series was on the long ball.

I went on to face Houston in the World Series. This time I expected to win all four because something odd was clearly going on. And that’s exactly what happened. I swept all four games and won the World Series for the first time since 2009. I never trailed in any of the games.

So I won. That’s great. I suppose? I mean I faced three of the best offenses in the game and never gave up more than three runs? Doesn’t make sense. Especially so because I hadn’t pitched like that all season. My offense was also completely shut down. Which is to be expected with the amazing pitchers I faced in all 11 games. It didn’t even feel like the same game I kept checking the settings thinking I somehow went up or down a level. My brother said he was going through something similar since the latest patch. I’ve never believed in that crap. So I won the World Series, wish it went a little differently. I’m sure there’s plenty of people of people that wished they had my problems.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: The best / worst postseason ever

I think you're fine, at times when you know your not hitting very well, I will tend to pitch better because I know I have to concentrate because I'm not scoring runs. Conversely, I imagine you were getting frustrated offensively and started losing patience and swinging at pitches you normally wouldn't swing at and so on.

Just sounds like to me you caught some good luck on your way to a World Series win.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
Rookie

Jayyoungjr's Arena

I feel like play definitely gets tighter in the post season. I've had good luck with pitching but there have been a few times I've gotten shelled pretty hard.

my best post season was probably my '22 season. coming off a World Series win the year before My Cubs had a great season had the Central locked up by early August. we crushed the Braves spirit in 3 games in the NLDS and got past the Dodgers in 6 games in the NLCS; Schwarber and Happ crushed the ball in the postseason and we beat the Astro's in 5 games. the let Verlander walk the season before and i picked him up as a veteran end of the rotation guy he got sweet revenge against his former team when he got the game 4 win.

my worst post season was in '20. we lead the Central the entire way but i rested a lot of guys in August/Sept. and it proved to be the wrong move. I could tell I lost the spark at the plate the last half of the season; we still were winning a lot but it was due to pitching and a lot of guys were cold going in to the playoffs. the Padres got by the Mets in the wild card. Padres lost Machado going into the NLDS and then Tatis went down in game 2 but it didn't matter I couldn't hit for anything. they took game 1 before we got it even before heading out west. Padres won the last 2 games as I got shut out in game 3 and only could score 2 in game 4. Padres went on to the World Series and lost to the Twins.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:32 PM   #4
MVP

Comeback code though bro! What you’ve described ISNT EVEN POSSIBLE! (bad joke)

Yeah no I feel your frustration on this. Probably just some bad luck. I started rolling really hard in my Tigers chise to the point of being in first place for a couple weeks in September, only to drop 8 of 10 to close the year and miss the postseason. That’s just how the mop flops lol.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
Rookie

Doyoueven85's Arena

I’m not complaining that I won the series lol just crazy I won out on 11 straight nail bitters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

the worst post-season is the one you don't qualify for to play.

runner up is losing the one game wild card, at home

A Work in Progress
Old 11-11-2020, 11:48 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
the worst post-season is the one you don't qualify for to play.

runner up is losing the one game wild card, at home

Then the third worst off season is when you kicked butt all year long easily winning your division and then you get swept in 3 games in your division series. This is what happened to me this year.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:07 AM   #8
Rookie

TonyMoraco15's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by myseason
I think you're fine, at times when you know your not hitting very well, I will tend to pitch better because I know I have to concentrate because I'm not scoring runs. Conversely, I imagine you were getting frustrated offensively and started losing patience and swinging at pitches you normally wouldn't swing at and so on.

Just sounds like to me you caught some good luck on your way to a World Series win.

1000% agree with your comment!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »