Home

The 2021 New York Knicks: Leon's Friends & Co.

This is a discussion on The 2021 New York Knicks: Leon's Friends & Co. within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 11-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
The 2021 New York Knicks: Leon's Friends & Co.

It feels weird making this thread just before Thanksgiving but here we are, a month from the start of the 2020-21 season. The bubble came and went without us participating, unfortunately COVID has not been as cooperative.

Guards
Payton
DSJ
Frank
Burks
Quickley
Pinson
Harper
Evans

Wings
Barrett
Knox
Bullock
Brazdeikis

Bigs
Mitch
Toppin
Randle
Noel
Spellman

We are going to be very bad. That's a long list--I think I included everyone but I may have missed a guy--so we'll have to make a few cuts or trades or demotions. I think OKC will be the only team in contention with us for having the worst record in the league. Many of the other cellar-dwellers improved.

We are going to be poor in just about every area of the game besides maybe shot-blocking. Poor shooting, not enough playmakers, not enough defenders.

Does it bother fans that almost our entire roster either: played at Kentucky, was drafted by Walt Perrin in Utah, has some connection to Scott Perry at one of his previous stops?

I'm on record as not liking the Toppin pick. We'll see how that plays out.

It feels like we'll be asking the same questions for the fourth straight season: will Thibs and Leon focus on developing the younger players or do they give a bulk of the minutes to the stop-gap vets for three months as delusions of the postseason are floated publicly.

To begin the season the biggest change Thibs needs to make is Randle's role. Reel him in and define his role. Tell him he is not LeBron James. I hope we start Toppin to begin the season but I don't think it will happen. Payton will start but hopefully he'll only play 18-21 minutes. Barrett will join him in the backcourt and my guess is Bullock starts on the wing.

Other developments to watch:
  • How big of a leap will RJ make? He's still in a bad situation with minimal talent around him and minimal floor spacing. Minimal playmakers. We are not making it easy on this kid.
  • Will DSJ be given much of a chance? He was Mills' boy and Mills is finally, mercifully gone.
  • Will Thibs favor and get the most out of Frank? It's no secret Thibs likes guys who can defend but Frank is in Year 4 now, he has to show more on the offensive end.
  • Will Knox show any development under Thibs?
  • Will Mitch start shooting threes?
  • Will Toppin show any defensive potential and how well will he shoot NBA threes?
  • Can Iggy crack the rotation?
  • How much will Quickley play? He has to overcome Burks and Rivers. I think he'll get a fair amount of burn this season.

Go Knicks!

(whatever that may mean)

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: The 2021 New York Knicks: Leon's Friends & Co.

Myles Powell was an UDFA.

The team is not terrible defensively.

On offense, there is no identity because of the lack of playmakers and shooters in the backcourt.

I’m at the point of saying just put RJ in the Harden role and let’s see what happens even if he has to lead the league in turnovers. He’s not a consistent enough shooter yet to leave on the wing.

Toppin is legit. He’ll be hampered because we have no talent at PG.

Mitch has to take a leap. He can’t just be a lob-catcher. He needs to be a 12, 10 & 2 guy if he can stay on the floor.

Basically another unwatchable year.

Randle pretty much has no trade value until he becomes an expiring next year.

We’re set up well for the future but this looks like a 20 win season at most.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

I believe Randle's final year is a team option so for all intents and purposes he's an expiring this year.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:34 PM   #4
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I believe Randle's final year is a team option so for all intents and purposes he's an expiring this year.

Looked it up.
Guaranteed for $4M. Fully guaranteed if he’s on the roster on June 28. 2021.

It’ll be hard to move him by the trade deadline unless he has a scorching first half of the season like Morris last year.

New front office doesn’t seem like the type to eat $4M for nothing.

We’ll see I guess.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

I don't think it will be terribly hard to move him, especially if we're willing to be a team that takes a salary dump.

The other thing about Randle is he isn't a terrible basketball player. If he stops doing these three things he'll be dramatically improved: Trying to bring the ball up the court like a PG, Spinning into double-teams, forcing contested shots up while being double-teamed.

A lot of that can be fixed with coaching. Fiz basically treated him like he was Bam or Siakim which he's clearly not. Too many times he caught the ball on the wing 25 feet from the basket and was allowed to create off the dribble. Hard to believe Thibs will allow that now.

Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Yep, it's all coaching and fit, plus Randle's own mindset and the coaching staff supporting his delusions of grandeur. Before last season started he said he wanted to be an all-star. Fiz gave him the leash to attempt to be one with bad results.

- His FG% fell by over 6%.
- 3PT% fell by over 7%
- TS% fell by over 6%.
- Turnovers increased, but only slightly.

This is what happens when you have a guy who's best suited as a great bench scorer be the #1 option on your team. He was a nice piece in a proper role in New Orleans, a guy who gave you 21/9/3 on 60% TS.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #7
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

We brought in Skal, another Kentucky scrub.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:47 PM   #8
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

G-League. Wouldn’t sweat it.

Although it’s looking more likely that Iggy will be waived.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »