Home

Best backward compatibility boost you've seen on the Series X?

This is a discussion on Best backward compatibility boost you've seen on the Series X? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Best backward compatibility boost you've seen on the Series X?

I'm curious to read XBox Series X owners thoughts as to which game has been the more surprising in terms of a backward compatibility boost on the XBox Series X. I've yet to be able to score a Series X, but I'm actively pursuing one daily, so I don't have an opinion yet. I was hoping for a 60 FPS boost in PGA TOUR 2K21, but I understand that definitely didn't happen... yet. I'd also hoped for 60 FPS Project Cars (original) boost, but I haven't read a report on this yet.

I'd like to read other's thoughts on this for all games. I heard Rocket League got some love worth noting, and I think Forza Horizon 4 is now at 60 FPS in 4K res?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Best backward compatibility boost you've seen on the Series X?

I think Forza 4 will do up to 120fps on 1440p. Don't quote me on that. And yeah, it is 4K 60fps.

Also, it's probably the placebo effect, but Madden seems to look better and runs smoother. But that's probably just me.

Ok, I think I'm wrong on the 120fps. But definitely does 4K 60fps.

Last edited by PVarck31; 11-29-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I think Forza 4 will do up to 120fps on 1440p. Don't quote me on that. And yeah, it is 4K 60fps.
If I had a display that supported 120 Hz, I'd sure like to give that a try. I know I'd be much more willing to play Forza Horizon 4 at 60 FPS than I do now on my XBox One X at 30 FPS. Do you notice the benefits of Forza Horizon 4 at 60 FPS? I have a Thrustmaster TX racing wheel and it seems to me that the 30 FPS racing games are more noticeable with a wheel than a thumbstick.

Quote:
Also, it's probably the placebo effect, but Madden seems to look better and runs smoother. But that's probably just me.
You're not the only one I'm reading with this opinion. I think the lower latency on the controller inputs are probably partly responsible for the perceived extra smoothness.

Quote:
Ok, I think I'm wrong on the 120fps. But definitely does 4K 60fps.
Okay, so it's not like Dirt 5, which downsamples it to 1080p when the 120 FPS mode is selected?
Old 12-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Perhaps the most interesting use of the Series X's capabilities in backward compatibility mode is found in Rainbow Six Siege allows the gamer to turn the vsync completely off, and furthermore, it also displays its own custom frame rate counter, in game! Check this Digital Foundry video out where they're playing the game between 120 and 134 FPS!?

https://youtu.be/LsQldhmN5XU?t=601

Oh how I'd love to have the option to set vsync at 30 Hz/60 Hz/OFF, with a frame rate counter for every sports game after seeing this!
Old 12-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Perhaps the most interesting use of the Series X's capabilities in backward compatibility mode is found in Rainbow Six Siege allows the gamer to turn the vsync completely off, and furthermore, it also displays its own custom frame rate counter, in game! Check this Digital Foundry video out where they're playing the game between 120 and 134 FPS!?

https://youtu.be/LsQldhmN5XU?t=601

Oh how I'd love to have the option to set vsync at 30 Hz/60 Hz/OFF, with a frame rate counter for every sports game after seeing this!
I was just thinking that the other day. Would be nice if Microsoft added an fps counter in the settings so you could turn on and off globally.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #6
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet6683
I was just thinking that the other day. Would be nice if Microsoft added an fps counter in the settings so you could turn on and off globally.
I would love it, but I bet many game developers and publishers wouldn't. It would arm too many critics with hard data that wouldn't cast them in a favorable light in underperforming games. My favorite game, PGA TOUR 2K21, is a case in point. It's locked at 30 FPS, even on the XBox Series X and Playstation 5, but the developer (HB Studios) and publisher (2K) don't even want to mention that in their marketing and advertisement for the game. You can't even get them to admit that in their official forums. It stands to reason that they wouldn't want the frame rate to be able to be displayed while people are playing it, because it's going to show dips that go even below that on occasion.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
MVP

opd897's Arena

Put in Crimson Skies, original Xbox game, and it looks great! Even has HDR up in the right hand corner when you start the game. Pretty awesome for an OG Xbox game.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by opd897
Put in Crimson Skies, original Xbox game, and it looks great! Even has HDR up in the right hand corner when you start the game. Pretty awesome for an OG Xbox game.
I'd forgotten that game, but I did enjoy it a bit on the XBox. Do you think it got a frame rate boost?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »