Home

Franchise House Rules

This is a discussion on Franchise House Rules within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2021, 11:14 PM   #1
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

OVR: 0
Franchise House Rules

As I sit patiently waiting for any news about The Show 21 I’m left to ponder plans for a new franchise at launch.

Almost every year I start a franchise day one and then restart because of a bad trade or signing, a roster update or the release of OSFM etc....

But this year I’m going to stick with it. I hope.

Anyway I have some pretty basic house rules. Don’t rip off the CPU in trades. Manually injure any player who starts camp on the IL with an injury as close to real life as possible and never trade within the division.

What are everyone’s own house rules?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Franchise House Rules

1. Only trade for players from "rebuilding" teams and who have either 6+ years of service time, be a rental, cash dump or are in arb and would demand a decent salary. Way too easy to fleece the AI in trades so I try and keep a bit of realism during the trade deadline, offseason, etc.

2. Never extend players into FA, I let all my guys hit the open market. A lot like my trade rule, this is done to help the AI and keep me from running out a team full of all-stars every year. Even with this rule I find I usually have a draftee ready and waiting to fill the spot anyway.

3. If a prospect is eligible for the rule-5 draft thus needing to be added to the 40-man but would not be a starter, trade him immediately. Again to try and help the AI, I suppose I could just expose him to the draft instead but...

4. I am a sim guy and don't play many games (cubs/sox games not withstanding), but will allow myself to play playoff elimination games.

Those are most of my only hard rules, there are others I have from time to time that are more situational but are more off the cuff kind of things gathered from years of playing the show I can't seem to remember right now.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I've got a few but my biggest is this.

Whatever happened, happened. No resets, no turning back trades, not matter what time moves forward.

While it's true that is pretty easy to fleece the CPU (although it's thankfully getting harder), I've been shocked over the years how many times a trade that I thought was bad ended up working out over the years.

I actually thing other teams see different things then you do when it comes to potential. You'll see it sometimes where a team will put higher value on a prospect that looks like any other from your perspective.

The issue is it's a raw value game to the CPU, making them too easy to fleece by giving them something they shouldn't want or need.

But this extends beyond trades. Got shutout by the worst pitcher in baseball? It happened. Your star player went down with an injury even though the ball was nowhere near them? It happened. Your team made 16 errors in a world series game? It happened.

This inexorable march forward is what gives my baseball universe character. The temptation to play God and toy with fate is something that needs to be resisted at all costs.

I've got other house rules, but that's the big one to never be broken.

I would suggested abandoning the idea of "real life" baseball right now. Most people abandon their franchise due to it not mimicking real life baseball enough. Think of this as a different universe. Some people use fictional franchises in order help with that, but either way if you really want to immerse yourself in a franchise, you need to find a way to detach from your expectations.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 01-09-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

These are more gameplay house rules, but I only play Franchise, so it's kind of one and the same for me:

(1) On hits to the outfield I throw to second base and not the cutoff man because sometimes the AI misjudges a throw to the cutoff man as a chance to stretch it to a double when it's clearly going to be an easy out at 2nd. I only throw to the cutoff man when it's clear the AI wouldn't try to stretch it (hard hit, quickly fielded).

(2) I try to take my time when fielding double play situations in hopes of letting the AI have a better chance at being safe at first. They still ground into 3 or 4 DPs per game regularly (then again, I have a staff full of sinkerballers).

(3) I rest my catcher every 4th or 5th day, even though he doesn't need it.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I would suggested abandoning the idea of "real life" baseball right now. Most people abandon their franchise due to it not mimicking real life baseball enough. Think of this as a different universe. Some people use fictional franchises in order help with that, but either way if you really want to immerse yourself in a franchise, you need to find a way to detach or from your expectations.

I learned this a few years back and have enjoyed sports games so much more, especially the Show. The irony is, the closer sports games get to reality, the more those few inaccuracies and deviations from the actual norms can bug you. My biggest gameplay pet peeve is the poor bunting. As a result, I just go universal DH in Franchise and mash away. I've got 4 players on pace to smash Bond's single-season home run record (very unrealistic), but I'm rolling with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I'll keep it simple, short & sweet:

1) - there's no crying in baseball
2) - all is fair in love and war. and baseball. anything goes

A Work in Progress
Old 01-09-2021, 09:32 PM   #7
Rookie

I just want season mode back.

It was simple, clean, easy to navigate and short seasons for the love of God short seasons. Overwhelming majority doesn't play 162

Sent from my LM-G900 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-10-2021, 01:08 AM   #8
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I would suggested abandoning the idea of "real life" baseball right now. Most people abandon their franchise due to it not mimicking real life baseball enough. Think of this as a different universe. Some people use fictional franchises in order help with that, but either way if you really want to immerse yourself in a franchise, you need to find a way to detach from your expectations.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
I really like this one, although I usually forget it. Just take 2018 (or was it 2019?) for example. MLB juiced the hell out of the ball and we saw the offensive numbers SOAR to the point MLB immediately had to change the baseballs again to reduce the numbers back to "normal." You just have to think of the sliders the same way. Test and find a set that works well, but once you do, roll with it for the entire season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »