Home

Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them?

This is a discussion on Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them?

I was just thinking of ideal Player Development in MyLeague... If I drafted a talented rookie with high Potential, and he's meant to be a cornerstone to my franchise, is there any benefit to playing him and giving him substantial minutes in his first few seasons? To me, unless I'm contending and I NEED him, it feels the priority should be to really develop him while he's in his Growth phase.

For instance, the Warriors this year drafted James Wiseman. With Klay Thompson out for the season, even if they made the playoffs, I don't see them getting very far. To me, it feels like the contention window will really open up next year when Klay Thompson returns and Wiseman is in Year 2.

Is there any benefit to giving Wiseman minutes, or does it make more sense to prioritize giving him Very High intensity training? Does giving him play time do anything for his development?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Re: Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwubbie
I was just thinking of ideal Player Development in MyLeague... If I drafted a talented rookie with high Potential, and he's meant to be a cornerstone to my franchise, is there any benefit to playing him and giving him substantial minutes in his first few seasons? To me, unless I'm contending and I NEED him, it feels the priority should be to really develop him while he's in his Growth phase.

For instance, the Warriors this year drafted James Wiseman. With Klay Thompson out for the season, even if they made the playoffs, I don't see them getting very far. To me, it feels like the contention window will really open up next year when Klay Thompson returns and Wiseman is in Year 2.

Is there any benefit to giving Wiseman minutes, or does it make more sense to prioritize giving him Very High intensity training? Does giving him play time do anything for his development?
I’ve done a few test franchises with several different teams since I have gotten the game, to test things such as development etc. I used default myleague sliders as I am not advanced enough to move things around.

Young player development feels quite random to me. If had guy start in their rookie/sophomore year and do pretty well, and still go down in potential. I’ve also had guys not play at all and develop a ton. In one franchise I did with the kings I had tyrese haliburton as my 6th man playing 25 minutes a game. He only averaged like 8 pts, 4 asst, and like 3.2 rebounds, but his per 36 were amazing (16 ppg, 7.9 ***, 4.5 reb; something like that). At the end of the season his overal progressed to 79 but his potential dropped from 83 to 79 in his rookie year! So while he got better his long term outlook suffered.

To me it feels completely random but I would love to hear someone else with more knowledge of the progression systems inner working weigh in
Old 01-21-2021, 12:40 PM   #3
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Training is more important than minutes. Too many minutes for a rookie can get them injured and hurt their potential. Not enough practices can also hurt their potential by not progressing fast enough.

Also each player is different. Look at their work ethic to see how much you can practice them. If you over practice a non legendary or high work ethic player you will get diminishing returns to their growth.

I haven't seen minutes factored into the growth equation of a player though. So giving players 36 minutes doesn't seem to help them improve (aside from keeping their morale high)
Old 01-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #4
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Tyrell Terry has a 91 three rating but no badges. I have him starting at the 2 spot and has been averaging about 12ppg in the playoffs. His potential is only 80 and he’s 79 right now. I wish if players played well they could raise their potential. Like.. say we win the championship this year. That should boost his potential a ton for having championship experience. Hell having playoff experience should raise his OVR and potential if they play well. Superstars should also rise and fall due to playoff performances.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #5
Rookie

TitanUP2's Arena

Is there a training development tutorial anywhere? Or like a guide on what to do between games? Or even what you guys do for development of not only rookies but younger guys?

I usually never play more than one season due to I play all 82 games + playoffs if i make it. But was curious how all the training and other stuff that happens between the games does. Never sat down to learn it all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2021, 12:04 AM   #6
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
Tyrell Terry has a 91 three rating but no badges. I have him starting at the 2 spot and has been averaging about 12ppg in the playoffs. His potential is only 80 and he’s 79 right now. I wish if players played well they could raise their potential. Like.. say we win the championship this year. That should boost his potential a ton for having championship experience. Hell having playoff experience should raise his OVR and potential if they play well. Superstars should also rise and fall due to playoff performances.
They can. 2K gives you a potential rating along with a maximum and minimum potential. if his potential is 80 his max is probably 85-90.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #7
Rookie

Next Gen also had boom/bust/ average % so this is a factor in the Randomness. Helps make 2nd round picks possibly good and 1st round picks not always great. Don't forget you can increase potential (3) in off season training.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:55 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbott24
Next Gen also had boom/bust/ average % so this is a factor in the Randomness. Helps make 2nd round picks possibly good and 1st round picks not always great. Don't forget you can increase potential (3) in off season training.
They could have implemented this in current gen, yet chose not to..

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »