Home

Standing guillotine defense?

This is a discussion on Standing guillotine defense? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2021, 05:40 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Standing guillotine defense?

So, I’m aware that by holding RT/R2, you can deny standing submission attempts.

So yes, it is “technically” deniable. It should be like late denied takedowns - where subsequent scrambles, ie “second chances” ensue... but hey, at least in theory... it IS deniable.

But here’s my problem with it.

There is a 102% chance that your opponent will successfully submit you, if you miss the initial denial. Literally 102%. A team at the University of Pennsylvania actually conducted a study on this and confirmed that for the first time in history, a given outcome has a probability beyond 100% of happening.

There is also a 98% chance that players who use this tactic in competitive play have above average female breast tissue and regularly call walmart customer service just to socialize, but that’s another story.

Here’s my question. Well I have several, including what type of sandwish I should make myself once the submission attempt initiates (there’s literally no point in playing on). But my main question is as follows:

What is the purpose of the proceeding 20 seconds after you miss the standing guillotine denial? All that happens is you begin watching a documentary starring your opponent, who casually walks around the octagon with your head in a guillotine. It’s also co-starring the fighter you picked, who does a fantastic job portraying an utterly useless white belt. And it also co-stars Brian Hayes and the EA crew, who can be seen from the audience asking each other “what’s a standing guillotine? Is that a strike Conor threw once”

I mean seriously. Once it’s locked in, you can’t do anything? Your opponent can just walk you around the octagon, holding you in a front headlock, until they decide to press the “instant win” buttom? Plus, your stamina plummets the entire time regardless of what you do... just to ensure it’s inescapable.

It’s as if during the meeting at EA headquarters, when it was the day for discussing the standing guillotine, Brian Hayes stood up and asked “what’s a standing guillotine? Is that the spinning kick Conor used on Nick Diaz?”
Goeff Harrower responded “that was Nate Diaz, sir. And no. The standing guillotine is not a specialty of Conor’s”.
Standing a bit puzzled, he responded “okay I don’t know what kind of strike a ‘standing guillotine is’. Just uh... go ahead and do whatever this guy thinks”

Brian spots a janitor, who was innocently walking by the door, immediately pushing him into the conference room before leaving in a hurry.
“I have to get back to work”, Brian exclaimed. “I think I’m onto something here with allowing players to use to use Bill Gates and Dinosaurs in ranked championships. Ask this guy about the standing Gillo Spring, of whatever it’s called”.

After 48 seconds of standing perfectly still, utterly confused, the Janitor simply says “Um, I don’t know what that is. Just make it an automatic win and call it a day”.

The rest of the EA headquarters present at the meeting simply decide to agree, seeing as none of them knew what a standing guillotine was either.

Last edited by Good Grappler; 02-10-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2021, 11:47 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Standing guillotine defense?

Funny post. There is a way out of the spinning and what not. You just hold LS back and up or down depending on the direction that they are spinning you. So you flow up and down with them while also pulling away. You will get out, and a good chunk of there stamina will get zapped to compensate the loss you took while getting spin cycled.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:01 AM   #3
Rookie

I am a professor at the University of Pennsylvania and an expert in virtual standing guillotines and can confirm this is absolutely correct.

Edit: New research has shown that 100% of excessive standing guillotine users are also banned from working with children.

Last edited by ryangil23; 02-01-2021 at 03:58 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:25 AM   #4
MVP

Funny post but once they put you in the head lock and before then can't you camp on R2 momentarily ? Or am I mistaken ?

The real danger is the guillotine against the cage that one has no tell , the headlock comes out of nowhere and boom .

I think just as the standing Guilly is set up by the headlock , one should be able to camp on R2 to sort of protect your neck.

Sub defence should start before the mini game.

Well for me , I always pick people who have the standing guillotine when I can.

I didn't think people still have issues with it.

Romero is the only top player I've seen make it his bread and butter .

One the other side , I like that there is danger everywhere in this game now. You are never safe anywhere.

Sent from my Nokia 2.4 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
Pro

LarsP's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grappler

The rest of the EA headquarters present at the meeting simply decide to agree, seeing as none of them knew what a standing guillotine was either.
Was this before or after they collectively decided unskippable celebrations was a solid idea?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #6
Rookie

This is the best post on this forum and yeah, nerf this cheese, please.

How many times have you been in a heated battle with a Div 20 and as soon as they get in trouble just slap on a standing guillotine. GAME OVER
Old 02-06-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
Rookie

The spin into the choke is absolutely op and ridiculous. Alot of times I try to camp rt when they go for it and they still lock it up. Also the counter window for the Von Flue choke is excruciatingly long. We should have the option for whoever hits it first for it to go away. I've quit using guard pull guillotine chokes. I find it frustrating too that I had alot of sub wins until two patches ago, now I can't score a single sub. They don't account for the wear and tear we put on our analogs which leads to needing a new controller after playing this game a month or two. Also while I'm on the subject. Someone who is rocked or has blinking stamina while I have full stamina should not be able to go fast af in a choke sub without getting the bar penalizing them. This is something WWE 2K series got correct. Also you shouldn't be able to go for sub after sub without gassing. Anyone who has rolled knows you can't go for triangle after triangle with out gassing your legs and core out. Same for chokes building lactic acid up in your arms. I wish we could just get a realism mode online for us that like a real sim vs UFC 4 Blitz (because this is like the NFL Blitz of mma). Rant over.

Last edited by JKX86; 02-06-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #8
Pro

I mean, there are multiple changes that need to happen from this position (which is a cool position, BTW, and mechanically has potential).

First off, for the sub fighter, the stamina drain shouldn’t happen at ALL. Secondly, the position should be navigable in SOME way - the controller inputs shouldn’t just become locked. Whether that means the ability to clear the choke by moving the analog stick in certain directions, or a transition of some sort.

Thirdly, the final guard pull should have options for the submissive fighter as well... whether it means clearing the guard as they go down (more common), somersaulting forward (could give up mount), or doing some ONEfc **** and catapulting backwards, spiking them on their head.

Even the dominant fighter should have more options here. Would be cool to have an inside trip takedown option from this position, or a snap down to sprawl. A wrestler who gets a standing front head lock from the clinch would be far more likely to try to snap them down, than pull guard.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »