Home

Looking for some 1994ish style

This is a discussion on Looking for some 1994ish style within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Looking for some 1994ish style

Of play sliders. A lot of neutral ice board play etc. Nhl 20 is fun but I can't find a way to increase the neural ice play. How is 21 regarding this?

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Looking for some 1994ish style

I literally came here to post something very similar...

I just want NHL to be fun again, after playing '94.

What settings would you guys recommend for fun, playable, not ridiculously arcadey and preferably just using the basic buttons (for smaller children)?

I'd love to get the thoughts from some of the slider experts on how to achieve this.

I refused to buy NHL21 so still on NHL20.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #3
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbur
I literally came here to post something very similar...

I just want NHL to be fun again, after playing '94.

What settings would you guys recommend for fun, playable, not ridiculously arcadey and preferably just using the basic buttons (for smaller children)?

I'd love to get the thoughts from some of the slider experts on how to achieve this.

I refused to buy NHL21 so still on NHL20.
Well, to start, what's not fun for you? For me, the AI hold this game back more than the actual sliders/gameplay. I actually think 21 is very enjoyable when my sliders are working (different discussion) outside of the AI blunders. That being said, I've identified what I like and don't like and have used sliders to try and mold my experience to something I like.

So, what part of the game play are you not liking? Game speed to fast/slow? Passing too easy/hard/stiff? Shooting too easy/hard? Goalies too quick/slow? Goalies reacting too quick/slow? Too much open/closed ice? Too many guys stumbling? Too many/little big hits? If you could provide a certain direction/list of things you're looking for, I'd try to help you out.

In my honest opinion, NHL 21 is much better than 20 when it comes to goalies and neutral zone pressure. If you leave the sliders are default, might not be a ton of a difference goalie wise, but I've actually been super impressed by the way mine are playing and the AI gives a pretty good fight in the neutral zone now with the right sliders. If you're willing to tinker and try things out and NHL is you most played game, the sale for $30 should be something to consider.

Let me know what you're looking for and I can try to help. My experience will be heavily based on 21 just so you know, but a lot of these slider changes should carry over between the two games.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:45 PM   #4
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremser_Rules
Of play sliders. A lot of neutral ice board play etc. Nhl 20 is fun but I can't find a way to increase the neural ice play. How is 21 regarding this?

Thanks
NHL 20 does not have a neutral zone. It's shockingly bad. 21 is much improved and unfortunately, buying the new game is the only way to drastically improve this. I don't think the CPU plays the trap well still (1-3-1, 1-4) but have found their pressure when I have them run a 1-2-2 Blue to be very dynamic and fun. They still do some dumb stuff like being overly passive at times, but running the 1-2-2 Blue actually results in some good back pressure from the AI forwards. The next step the devs need to make is the AI Dmen recognizing good back pressure and having the D step up to capitalize on the lack of options for the carrier.

All this being said, 21 is drastically better in the NZ. I don't want to take away from the improvements. 20 NZ might as well be no mans land as nobody is ever in it lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »