Home

The Show on PS4 Pro vs PS5

This is a discussion on The Show on PS4 Pro vs PS5 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2021, 07:35 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 21
The Show on PS4 Pro vs PS5

So, as I waffle back and forth about picking up a PS5...not that you can find one anywhere...I was wondering what the visual and performance issues changes are if you are playing 20 on PS5 vs PS4 Pro.

With the possibility of no carry over saves with next gen looking, I may just stick with 20 on the PS4 Pro unless the difference on PS5 is too good to ignore. I know there is quite a leap if you are using the basic PS4, but was not sure how the Pro measures up.

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: The Show on PS4 Pro vs PS5

The game is much smoother from the pro to ps5. I do see some cleat artifacts when the batter is in box on ps5.

It's not a "new game" feel, but it's a visual and performance improvement.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2021, 08:03 AM   #3
Rookie

GridironGreat's Arena

OVR: 0

Performance is night and day. You can actually set the game to “Sharper” aka 4K, and still get pretty much a locked 60FPS. It’s so much smoother, all around. The cut scenes never even stutter. The gameplay on field is bitter smooth. Can’t say enough. Get a PS5 when you can. Really is no losing especially if you plan on getting one this gen anyway. The PS5 makes all your old games run with higher resolution and better frames in most cases, and then of course PS5 games. Personally cannot wait for this years MLBTS.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

My only point against the PS5 is due to the shortage, and my pure hatred of scalping (I'd get into why, but that requires some economist-talk).

Don't buy a scalped system.

Otherwise, if you were planning on getting a PS5 anyways, I see no reason not to. The PS4 to PS5 console generation upgrade is more like a PC upgrade then a brand new device. Most of your old stuff will work on it, just better and faster.

It's not like PS3 to PS4, or PS2 to PS3. Those were very different devices with very different hardware architectures. PS4 to PS5 has the exact same hardware (and software) architecture. It just has flat out better hardware. It's more called a PS5 because their will be games that can be played on it that can't on the PS4, but in most other respects it's very much like the PS4 pro was to the launch PS4. It's a simple hardware upgrade.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:12 AM   #5
Banned

But I think you should be more concerned about the MLB 21 ps5 version verus the ps pro version this year. Soon we will see the real difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #6
Rookie

dbekoscke's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
My only point against the PS5 is due to the shortage, and my pure hatred of scalping (I'd get into why, but that requires some economist-talk).

Don't buy a scalped system.

Otherwise, if you were planning on getting a PS5 anyways, I see no reason not to. The PS4 to PS5 console generation upgrade is more like a PC upgrade then a brand new device. Most of your old stuff will work on it, just better and faster.

It's not like PS3 to PS4, or PS2 to PS3. Those were very different devices with very different hardware architectures. PS4 to PS5 has the exact same hardware (and software) architecture. It just has flat out better hardware. It's more called a PS5 because their will be games that can be played on it that can't on the PS4, but in most other respects it's very much like the PS4 pro was to the launch PS4. It's a simple hardware upgrade.
I agree... don't buy scalped PS5. Don't support their terrible practices.

If you are able to find a legitimate PS5, pull the trigger. Following some of the Twitter accounts that specifically watch for PS5 drops helps TREMENDOUSLY! That's how I was able to get my PS5 two weeks ago (Playstation Direct).

My opinion of buying the PS5 now, vs waiting a year or three.... in a year or three (especially with the high demand and limited production/availability of next gen hardware parts) the PS5 will still probably be 399/499. Consoles really only get price drops when sales start to decline (in order to rejuvenate cash flow).

I got my PS5 specifically to play MLBTS21. BUT as mentioned previously, I can play all my PS4 games as well, with smoother performance and increased visual fidelity (so it's a win/win). I can't really think of a reason to wait.

In fact, there is much speculation going around the interwebs that finding and buying a next gen console will actually get much harder as this year goes on, and it may not improve until 2022. Reasoning behind this is that the various chip manufacturer's are stretched thin with their production. These chip manufacturer's have to choose who to build hardware for and smartphones represent a much larger (and profitable) slice of the money pie versus game consoles (which represent a fraction of total market share when compared to smartphones).

TLDR: if you have the money, buy a PS5 when you can.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #7
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

Do PS4 discs go right into PS5? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

not to mention much better load times.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »