Home

Teams That Have Chosen To Opt Out Of EA Sports College Football

This is a discussion on Teams That Have Chosen To Opt Out Of EA Sports College Football within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Teams That Have Chosen To Opt Out Of EA Sports College Football

Figured this could be a thread to keep up with teams that opt out for now. So far...

Notre Dame
Northwestern

Northwestern just said no last night. First team from a major conference to say no. Plenty of time between now and then. Hopefully by 2023 all of this will be worked out. Again my hope is if it's not, for the teams who opt out, a generic team will be put in their place and we will be able to edit ourselves.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Teams That Have Chosen To Opt Out Of EA Sports College Football

Should the NIL bill pass this year as expected, both of these teams should be in. Northwestern cited they won't be in unless players can be compensated. It's looking more likely that the bill that passes will allow group licensing which will allow the players to be in the game and be compensated.

Notre Dame only said they were going to wait until the NIL stuff passes, but nothing more if I remember right. What's funny is they take these stances, but it doesn't stop things like ND selling #12 jerseys all year long. A bit of a double standard, but not surprising.

I've said it a bunch recently, but I expect that if the NIL bill we get leads to the players being in the game, it should be the domino that leads to all FBS teams being in the game. Even if you don't care if the rosters are real or randomized you should be rooting for real rosters if you want all of the schools to be in the game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 02-25-2021, 04:35 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Gotta imagine EA has a plan in place for teams that opt out just in case the NIL bill doesn’t come to fruition. Part of me hopes that with teams opting out, it increases the likelihood of more customization via Teambuilder.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:03 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8

Heard Kentucky was going to try to play ball and get in the game. Im a uk fan so that is good news. Hopefully ND and northwestern will grown up by the time the game releases.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:08 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats302
Heard Kentucky was going to try to play ball and get in the game. Im a uk fan so that is good news. Hopefully ND and northwestern will grown up by the time the game releases.
ND's stance is essentially a PR move. They just said they'll hold off until an NIL bill passes. An NIL bill is schedules to pass this year, so their "sacrifice" isn't all too daring.

Northwestern at least said they'll only be in the game once players can be compensated, but I don't think they specifically meant compensated by EA to be in the game.

There's enough time right now to not really worry about any teams not getting in right now. If the NIL bill that passes is one that keeps the players from being in the game, then it is time to worry about who won't be in the game.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 0

I searched the internet but couldn't find it. Is there a link to the official Northwestern announcement?

How about cheerleaders? If the game has cheerleaders will they be compensated? Coaches?
Old 02-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I searched the internet but couldn't find it. Is there a link to the official Northwestern announcement?

How about cheerleaders? If the game has cheerleaders will they be compensated? Coaches?
Any cheerleaders in the game will be generic and not using the likeness of any real cheerleader so no compensation is needed.

If a coach is in the game, EA would have to pay for the rights to have that coach in the game, like has always been the case in sports games.

― Plato
Old 02-26-2021, 03:29 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ing-nil-rules/

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »