Home

I'm no pro basketball player, but don't you need strength for paint defense/rebound?

This is a discussion on I'm no pro basketball player, but don't you need strength for paint defense/rebound? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'm no pro basketball player, but don't you need strength for paint defense/rebound?

What sense does it make for 6'7 power forwards to be weak as a child, yet play effective paint defense, box you out, and grab rebounds?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2021, 12:12 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 4
Re: I'm no pro basketball player, but don't you need strength for paint defense/rebou

Dennis Rodman?

You'll be surprised what outworking others can get you.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:48 AM   #3
MVP

tru11's Arena

Re: I'm no pro basketball player, but don't you need strength for paint defense/rebou

Rodman was pretty strong.

Very physical player and certainly not the finesse type.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-28-2021, 07:25 PM   #4
Pro

BlackLightning3's Arena

OVR: 2

There are other things that matter besides strength. Agility, reaction time, anticipation, and positioning can determine who gets a rebound. I'm 6'2" and usually the most athletic, but weakest in terms of pure weightlifting strenght people on the court. Everytime I play I get the most rebounds by far, because I 'm not just standing under the goal trying to box out big men by pushing them. If they don't body me up I can outjump them or spin around them then outjump them. Also anticipating where the rebound will bounce based on the shot arc and direction helps.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:06 PM   #5
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11

I was just ready to say that...he tried to make it sound like Dennis Rodman had the body build of Reggie Miller. Rodman was strong. He had to be strong to bang down low with the likes of a Karl Malone.

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-28-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2021, 09:11 PM   #6
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLightning3
There are other things that matter besides strength. Agility, reaction time, anticipation, and positioning can determine who gets a rebound. I'm 6'2" and usually the most athletic, but weakest in terms of pure weightlifting strenght people on the court. Everytime I play I get the most rebounds by far, because I 'm not just standing under the goal trying to box out big men by pushing them. If they don't body me up I can outjump them or spin around them then outjump them. Also anticipating where the rebound will bounce based on the shot arc and direction helps.
That's recreational basketball...I was a 6'2" rebounding, defensive machine in the paint too during my younger days, but I'm not going to pretend for ONE minute that weight lifting didn't help me. Yes, I wasn't THE strongest person in the paint, but I strong enough to bang down low with other bigs and not get fatigued so easily.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11

Rodman was physical, but I wouldn't call him strong (not relative to the players of his era). He was highly intelligent and knew how to use his body better than everyone else in the league. He had the body of a SF (more quick than he was a "bruiser").

Jarred Vanderbilt (6'9" / 214) is basically Rodman's modern equivalent.

JeMerrio Jones (6'5" / 175) takes this to the extreme. Jones briefly played in the league and toils in the G-League; he's a plus rebounder w/ no other NBA skills. Strength is definitely not a pre-requisite for rebounding.
https://www.basketball-reference.com...onesje01d.html
http://youtube.com/real2krosters

Last edited by Real2KInsider; 03-01-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #8
MVP

tru11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real2KInsider
Rodman was physical, but I wouldn't call him strong (not relative to the players of his era). He was highly intelligent and knew how to use his body better than everyone else in the league. He had the body of a SF (more quick than he was a "bruiser").

Dude held his own 1 vs 1 being backed down by shaq in the post...

That requires strength regardless of what you want want to call it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »