Home

How to progress, make the right reads & adjustments

This is a discussion on How to progress, make the right reads & adjustments within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How to progress, make the right reads & adjustments

Ive recently started playing H2H even though I didn’t think I was ready to see if it was better for my progression than franchise. I can’t seem to stop the opposing offenses.

I had so much trouble against Lamar Jackson & Kyler Murray. Tried everything. Dime 1-4-6. Spy QB with linemen. Against Rodgers, nothing worked even when I played perfect defense and my CBs were right on the ball.

I use the Pats. I don’t want to use a godly team like the Chiefs or Packers. But Cam at QB is rough. It is so hard to get any passes off whether it’s middle of the field, corner routes, drags or to the HB in the flat. I also can’t seem to read the defense. I check the safeties pre & post snap but nothing. I usually guess the defense wrong even when I get a completion.

I watch madden YouTube vids a lot and check forums for tips but i feel that I’m plateauing. I don’t understand the difference between a 3-3-5 odd or wide or 2-4-5 besides changes in linemen versus LBs. everytime I make an adjustment, my opponent seems to make the perfect read. It’s frustrating playing online giving up easy plays or throwing INTs when I feel the receiver is open
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
MVP

Re: How to progress, make the right reads & adjustments

If you play H2H, you have to throw a LOT of actual football logic out the window. It boils down to AI manipulation by use of hot routes and such. Idk how it is now, but over the last couple of years, there is essentially one or two formations people will use the entire game regardless of the situation. H2H is really the furthest thing from realism that you can get.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #3
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Back when I played H2H a few years ago, reading the safeties (open or closed) and linebackers (man or zone) immediately after the snap was tremendously useful. But based on what people say here, I suspect things have changed.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

What version are you playing? Current Gen or next gen? I could give some suggestions but tbh the momentum system is different enough that they wouldn't all translate. I will say that regardless of system, you're playing with a team that has below average weapons and so it's gonna be a rough time no matter what you do. You're just going to lose a lot of the Madden dice rolls. I played for years online with the EJ Manuel/Kyle Orton/Tyrod Taylor Bills so I know how it goes

Last edited by IlluminatusUIUC; 03-05-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:46 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Back when I played H2H a few years ago, reading the safeties (open or closed) and linebackers (man or zone) immediately after the snap was tremendously useful. But based on what people say here, I suspect things have changed.
There’s so many adjustments that can be made that it makes hard to read post snap what defense they’re in
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
What version are you playing? Current Gen or next gen? I could give some suggestions but tbh the momentum system is different enough that they wouldn't all translate. I will say that regardless of system, you're playing with a team that has below average weapons and so it's gonna be a rough time no matter what you do. You're just going to lose a lot of the Madden dice rolls. I played for years online with the EJ Manuel/Kyle Orton/Tyrod Taylor Bills so I know how it goes
It makes the game harder playing with such a lackluster offense but the wins are so much more satisfying. Wouldn’t feel the same if I whooped someone with the Ravens or Bucs. My goal is to eventually be able to use the worst of teams (Jaguars, Jets, WFT) to beat the best teams
Old 03-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #7
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by balla1893
There’s so many adjustments that can be made that it makes hard to read post snap what defense they’re in
Run hurry up. Or if not, get to the line and snap asap.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #8
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by balla1893
Ive recently started playing H2H even though I didn’t think I was ready to see if it was better for my progression than franchise. I can’t seem to stop the opposing offenses.

I had so much trouble against Lamar Jackson & Kyler Murray. Tried everything. Dime 1-4-6. Spy QB with linemen. Against Rodgers, nothing worked even when I played perfect defense and my CBs were right on the ball.

I use the Pats. I don’t want to use a godly team like the Chiefs or Packers. But Cam at QB is rough. It is so hard to get any passes off whether it’s middle of the field, corner routes, drags or to the HB in the flat. I also can’t seem to read the defense. I check the safeties pre & post snap but nothing. I usually guess the defense wrong even when I get a completion.

I watch madden YouTube vids a lot and check forums for tips but i feel that I’m plateauing. I don’t understand the difference between a 3-3-5 odd or wide or 2-4-5 besides changes in linemen versus LBs. everytime I make an adjustment, my opponent seems to make the perfect read. It’s frustrating playing online giving up easy plays or throwing INTs when I feel the receiver is open
The majority of people online probably know less about football than you do but they are good at madden which is mostly exploits. There's meta plays for offense and defense. The trick is to know what beats those plays but it's often countering cheese with cheese. I would suggest joining an online Franchise that plays a more realistic style of football.

But playing H2H I would suggest getting really comfortable with one formation and have several runs and passes out of it and mix it up to keep opponents guessing. And play the game at your own tempo. Dictate the pace. I like to run and use the clock to limit possessions by the opponent since most people online like to have a quick scoring offense going for big plays. Also since games are so short there's only a few possessions per game. You could realistically keep the ball for an entire half.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »