Home

Tuning AM: My Theory

This is a discussion on Tuning AM: My Theory within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Tuning AM: My Theory

Though terribly belated, I wanted to post some insights I've come to about tuning AM in the event that they're helpful to others.

The bugbear with AM is, in my view, the issue of QB play and the strength of the CPU passing game.

I've tried in the past to address this issue primarily by lowering QBA significantly. I've had some success with this strategy but have also felt like drastically lower QBA values negatively affect CPU offensive performance, QB AI in particular.

Through recent study of MizzouRah's and Hunkerdown's sets, as well as my own testing, it's become clear to me that PBK and WRC are actually the main drivers of CPU passing game outcomes and that you can season the CPU passing game to taste simply by manipulating these values.

WRC around 40 opens up a whole new range of contested catch animations that help improve coverage and normalize CMP % for the CPU. PBK between 35-40 also opens up a new set of QB behaviors that lead to more rushed throws due to pressure, as well asl off-platform throws. These also create more realistic misfires and help normalize CMP % for the CPU.

With these two adjustments, I'm now able to leave QBA at 50. Moreover, I'm able to run the full assortment of coverages. I had previously found off man 100% useless and had to press in every coverage in order to have even a shot of causing an incompletion. Now, even off man coverage can be effective.

I play on LG and on the OOTB version of the game, so take the above in that context.

I hope this helps!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
MVP

TopSide83's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Tuning AM: My Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNautilus
Though terribly belated, I wanted to post some insights I've come to about tuning AM in the event that they're helpful to others.

The bugbear with AM is, in my view, the issue of QB play and the strength of the CPU passing game.

I've tried in the past to address this issue primarily by lowering QBA significantly. I've had some success with this strategy but have also felt like drastically lower QBA values negatively affect CPU offensive performance, QB AI in particular.

Through recent study of MizzouRah's and Hunkerdown's sets, as well as my own testing, it's become clear to me that PBK and WRC are actually the main drivers of CPU passing game outcomes and that you can season the CPU passing game to taste simply by manipulating these values.

WRC around 40 opens up a whole new range of contested catch animations that help improve coverage and normalize CMP % for the CPU. PBK between 35-40 also opens up a new set of QB behaviors that lead to more rushed throws due to pressure, as well asl off-platform throws. These also create more realistic misfires and help normalize CMP % for the CPU.

With these two adjustments, I'm now able to leave QBA at 50. Moreover, I'm able to run the full assortment of coverages. I had previously found off man 100% useless and had to press in every coverage in order to have even a shot of causing an incompletion. Now, even off man coverage can be effective.

I play on LG and on the OOTB version of the game, so take the above in that context.

I hope this helps!
Will try these few changes tonight. Thanks for sharing
Old 03-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
MVP

awffltony77's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNautilus

I hope this helps!
Ahhhhh...good stuff J.....I mean Dar.....I mean Troj......ummmmmm....

I concur!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #4
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

On NG... dare I say.. I'm enjoying AM defaults right now.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
Rookie

Decent at Best's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Curious as to what made you go back and test default?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
For whatever reason, the last franchise update took a LG set I drew from Hunkerdown that held up for 3+ seasons and made the game unplayable for me. I was forced to go back to the beginning.

Glad NG is humming along at default!
Old 03-12-2021, 05:25 AM   #7
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decent at Best
Curious as to what made you go back and test default?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Operation Sports mobile app
The game felt different after the last franchise patch so I wanted to try a game at default. There were 11 total penalties and gameplay seemed good.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:12 AM   #8
Banned

ManyFacedMod's Arena

Interesting OP.

Looking at various AM sets listed here (Tyler28, MikeLowe, rmiok22, Flazko, RaiderRen, HunkerD) I see almost all of them use values in the following ranges for the following CPU skills:

Listed in order of the slider creator above:

QB Acc = 10,9,13,5,20,20
PBlock = 35,10,37,25,25,20
WRcatch = 40,45,40,40,50,45

So it seems like the slider guru's on OS definitely agree with your ranges on Pass Block and WR Catch. I use similar values for CPU block and catch too, so I am curious to try raising QB accuracy to 50 like you're talking about, and see what happens.

fwiw, my favorite thing to do this time of year when most peoples' slider sets are "final" is to make an Excel spreadsheet. And I fill out exactly what Flazko and Tyler and MikeLowe and all of them use, and I find out the average for each slider for both User and CPU sliders on All-Madden. That is what I then use as my personal set.

I call it my "OS All-Madden Consensus Set." It has worked very well for me for many years.

(only problem is most slider gurus tweak all year as patches roll out, so this strategy really only works once EA is done patching)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »