Home

Cpu passing too much

This is a discussion on Cpu passing too much within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Cpu passing too much

Even playing on All Madden will no sliders adjusted, the CPU seems to pass way more than they should. Some teams seem to almost abandon the run. I never see a realistic pass:run ratio.

Does anyone else see this problem?

Edit: I tried playing the Titans and saw plenty of run plays. I have tried adjusting sliders and always end up having the CPU pass nearly every play. Don't know what I'm adjusting wrong to make this happen.

Last edited by MrGDubbs; 04-04-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Cpu passing too much

What are you calling realistic run/pass ratios? on average most teams pass around 60% or more of the time
Old 04-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlegacy
What are you calling realistic run/pass ratios? on average most teams pass around 60% or more of the time
For the 2020 season, the average was 58% pass. That is pass attempts and sacks combined. There were 14 teams at or above 60%.

However, 3 teams were at or below 50% passing.

The highest percentage was Jacksonville who threw 66% of the time.

The Chiefs were at 62%, Tampa Bay at 64%

So, while true on the surface 60% seems fine, but the problem is that Madden does not even replicate that. Too often even run heavy teams will throw 60+% of the time. From a statistics perspective this can throw everything off. QB stats end up too high, running stats are too low, etc...

Also, the flow of the game is often not "right" either that should establish a run game rarely try to do so. One reason Jacksonville threw so much is because they were often playing from behind.

Overall, while any one game, the pass/run issue is not a big deal, but over the course of a season it can have a dramatic impact.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:20 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlegacy
I'm well aware of what a normal pass run ratio is. Obviously a 50:50 split would also be unrealistic. In the games I'm playing the CPU passes significantly more than 60% of the time. And they don't seem to use the run to set up passes on early downs on a consistent basis.

Every team feels like they are mostly slinging it against me, and not really running what I know to be a conventional modern day offense.

Most of the games I've played have been w adjusted sliders, which can always cause issues. I only recently tested it w a handful of game's w no changes and still feel it's a problem. I just post this to ask if others feel the same.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:39 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGDubbs
I'm well aware of what a normal pass run ratio is. Obviously a 50:50 split would also be unrealistic. In the games I'm playing the CPU passes significantly more than 60% of the time. And they don't seem to use the run to set up passes on early downs on a consistent basis.

Every team feels like they are mostly slinging it against me, and not really running what I know to be a conventional modern day offense.

Most of the games I've played have been w adjusted sliders, which can always cause issues. I only recently tested it w a handful of game's w no changes and still feel it's a problem. I just post this to ask if others feel the same.
Yes I agree with you. The CPU will sling it all over the field and It doesn't matter what team it is. Every game starts feeling like a track meet. Combine that with the fact that the QB is almost automatic 80-90% of the time, they have almost no reason to run the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #6
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

Funny how a few years ago in madden it was the opposite, we were trying to figure out how to get the cpu to pass the ball more since they would run it constantly.

I do agree they are times teams pass to much, even the ones where you know in real life they prioritize the RB first but yet in madden that team will pass lot. But also keep in mind what the score of your game is, if you are winning they may feel the need to pass to play catch up
Old 04-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #7
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

I think the CPU reacts to what's working. If a team starts off running well and continues to do so it will run. If it doesn't then it will all but a random the run. And since the CPU is pretty poor running the ball it's easy to get them to adjust by passing the ball more. That's my theory though and not at all proven. Just what I'm noticing.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #8
Pro

I gotta be honest with you:

"running to set up the pass on early downs" is a 1990s concept. Coaches will tell you they use the pass to set up the run.

But I would say the bigger issue is that teams do not have their own identity. If I am playing against Seattle, I would love to see them keep going to DK Metcalf and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGDubbs

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »