Home

Decision to Bring MLB The Show 21 to Xbox Game Pass Came Straight From Major League Baseball

This is a discussion on Decision to Bring MLB The Show 21 to Xbox Game Pass Came Straight From Major League Baseball within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Decision to Bring MLB The Show 21 to Xbox Game Pass Came Straight From Major League Baseball

According to a recent article from Inverse, it was the decision of Major League Baseball to...

Written By: Steve Noah

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2021, 10:08 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
I seem to be missing the part where they confirm what you are claiming they are saying.* Where does it say MLB ordered it on Game Pass?
Old 04-06-2021, 10:31 PM   #3

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Decision to Bring MLB The Show 21 to Xbox Game Pass Came Straight From Major Leag

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68pj
I seem to be missing the part where they confirm what you are claiming they are saying.* Where does it say MLB ordered it on Game Pass?
From the story:

Quote:
A spokesperson for PlayStation has clarified part of the reason why the company is bringing its MLB The Show 21 to Xbox and Game Pass. This representative told Inverse that it was all about expanding the appeal and reach of the MLB The Show series. It was MLB's decision to do this, the spokesperson said.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Decision to Bring MLB The Show 21 to Xbox Game Pass Came Straight From Major Leag

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68pj
Sony Interactive Entertainment agreed to support more platforms when it renewed its license agreement with MLB in late 2019. MLB appears to have gone further to get the game in the hands of as many players as possible.

My guess is Microsoft applied pre$$ure to MLB and Sony had no choice if they wanted the license renewed.

I don't see how putting the game on game pass helps the developers make money. Seems like it would reduce the number of people paying full price.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:46 PM   #5
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Sony Interactive Entertainment agreed to support more platforms when it renewed its license agreement with MLB in late 2019. MLB appears to have gone further to get the game in the hands of as many players as possible.

My guess is Microsoft applied pre$$ure to MLB and Sony had no choice if they wanted the license renewed.

I don't see how putting the game on game pass helps the developers make money. Seems like it would reduce the number of people paying full price.
It's the economics of post-purchase microtransactions. For some titles the after-purchase revenue is exponentially more important over the life of a game and that initial box price.

The extreme example of this is Grand Theft Auto 5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2021, 11:06 PM   #6
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
It's the economics of post-purchase microtransactions. For some titles the after-purchase revenue is exponentially more important over the life of a game and that initial box price.

The extreme example of this is Grand Theft Auto 5.
Or FIFA.....
Old 04-06-2021, 11:28 PM   #7
Rookie

DanH35's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl

While the financial agreements have never been publicly shared, I've seen it speculated that devs get something for every download of a Gamepass game. Plus, it's been reported that having a game on Gamepass leads to more actual purchases.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:54 AM   #8
Rookie

OUSOONERS#1's Arena

OVR: 0

While I agree MLB I think made Sony bring the game to Xbox i don’t think MLB had anything to do with putting it on game pass ... I think Microsoft paid Sony for those rights and tbh it’s a slap in the face to us PlayStation owners who have been around from the beginning and we have to pay full price !!!!

Last edited by OUSOONERS#1; 04-07-2021 at 01:58 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »