Home

Shot Meter Idea/Zen Killer/Sim Shooting

This is a discussion on Shot Meter Idea/Zen Killer/Sim Shooting within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Shot Meter Idea/Zen Killer/Sim Shooting

How about making the green release mean that you have released the ball at the perfect spot to aid in making the basket, Instead of a Green Release meaning Congratulations, You have 99.9% chance of making this shot so go celebrate while the ball is in en route to the bottom of net.

If your shot rating for the spot you're in is an 85 and you time it green then it should maybe get a +5 boost to 90. After the base number of 90 has been established, add/subtract the bonuses/penalties to this number. Things like Range, Contest% , Hot Zones, Badges, Openness, Takeover Meter, Shot Type, Defender's Abilities, etc. That number should be the deciding factor.

Wait, there's more. Take the shooting percentage from the best shooter in the league with a qualifying amount of attempts and let that be what 99 3pt ability nets you.

George Hill [2020] 46% from 3pt land should equal a 99 3pt rating. I know people will be saying, " but Sooperb, I don't want shoot a realistic percentage in a basketball simulation(crying emoji). I want to play MyCareer Pro difficulty IN THE REC and shoot 95% from the arc like I am CONDITIONED to do in the MyCareer mode. ". For those people the badges, boosts and zone perks will put the extra sauce on your ratings.

With this in place, not only will it stop over dribbling to get an open shot all day but it will make ZENS OBSOLETE in the 2k community! Do I have your ear now 2k? You can keep the current shooting system for the arcade 3v3 FULL COURT action of the park.

How many times have you seen a 3 on 1 fast break with a guy in the paint all by himself for the free 2 points turned into a 3 point attempt? SMDH! I've seen it so much that when I'm the guy in the paint I already am positioning myself to box out in case of a miss. This has become normal.

Anyway, does this make sense to any one of you guys who actually read all of this?

At cheese, I'm trash. At basketball, I'm great!

NCAAMadnet
BadGuy

Last edited by sooperb; 04-21-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2021, 09:30 PM   #2
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Shot Meter Idea/Zen Killer/Sim Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperb
How about making the green release mean that you have released the ball at the perfect spot to aid in making the basket, Instead of a Green Release meaning Congratulations, You have 99.9% chance of making this shot so go celebrate while the ball is in en route to the bottom of net.

If your shot rating for the spot you're in is an 85 and you time it green then it should maybe get a +5 boost to 90. After the base number of 90 has been established, add/subtract the bonuses/penalties to this number. Things like Range, Contest% , Hot Zones, Badges, Openness, Takeover Meter, Shot Type, Defender's Abilities, etc. That number should be the deciding factor.

Wait, there's more. Take the shooting percentage from the best shooter in the league with a qualifying amount of attempts and let that be what 99 3pt ability nets you.

George Hill [2020] 46% from 3pt land should equal a 99 3pt rating. I know people will be saying, " but Sooperb, I don't want shoot a realistic percentage in a basketball simulation(crying emoji). I want to play MyCareer Pro difficulty IN THE REC and shoot 95% from the arc like I am CONDITIONED to do in the MyCareer mode. ". For those people the badges, boosts and zone perks will put the extra sauce on your ratings.

With this in place, not only will it stop over dribbling to get an open shot all day but it will make ZENS OBSOLETE in the 2k community! Do I have your ear now 2k? You can keep the current shooting system for the arcade 3v3 FULL COURT action of the park.

How many times have you seen a 3 on 1 fast break with a guy in the paint all by himself for the free 2 points turned into a 3 point attempt? SMDH! I've seen it so much that when I'm the guy in the paint I already am positioning myself to box out in case of a miss. This has become normal.

Anyway, does this make sense to any one of you guys who actually read all of this?
I've been saying something similar for a long time now. The usual reaction I get from most in the community is "we don't want more RNG." It's ridiculous, but it is what it is. OS is an outlier to the point where most here would agree with the idea. The issue is getting anyone else in the community on board. Unfortunately, we're a small minority in this matter

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 04-22-2021, 02:11 AM   #3
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0

It used to be like that...cough...NBA 2K11....cough.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
MVP

jk31's Arena

100% sign. go back to how shooting Was Few years ago. no guaranteed makes! bring percentages back to "normal" numbers.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:27 AM   #5
MVP

tru11's Arena

My man good post but this has been said since greens became auto.

Majority want that nonsense and unfortunately it sells.

Ill sign any petition though.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
My man good post but this has been said since greens became auto.

Majority want that nonsense and unfortunately it sells.

Ill sign any petition though.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Competitive gaming is the wave now. Most users want complete control of an outcome. I’m even reading people talking about RNG in mlb forums now lol.

It’s a weird position to me cause why even have ratings.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:27 PM   #7
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
Competitive gaming is the wave now. Most users want complete control of an outcome. I’m even reading people talking about RNG in mlb forums now lol.

It’s a weird position to me cause why even have ratings.
I'll never understand the "I want complete control of the outcome" crowd. Maybe because I've been playing videogames, that belief comes off to me as "I want to be 100% accurate at whatever I do".

I know for fact that once a gamer is able to do something 100% of the time and be 100% effective, THAT'S what they're going to do. They don't care about "outsmarting" their opponents. They only care about being 100% successful using 1-2 tactics. Where's the FUN if I can do this single task without fear of error, but it forces my opponent to match my exploit to keep up or force to come up with groundbreaking gameplan to beat it?

I can't speak to stats for other games, but when it comes to sports...there's not a single athlete dead or alive that was able to product 100% effectiveness every time they played a game, hence the words "averages" and "stats". I'm sorry, but RNG is a must. It ONLY became a "problem" when players were able achieve 100% (aka green releases) on their shot attempts. Suddenly, shooting less than 90% is not "simulation" or "real basketball".
Old 04-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #8
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I'll never understand the "I want complete control of the outcome" crowd. Maybe because I've been playing videogames, that belief comes off to me as "I want to be 100% accurate at whatever I do".

I know for fact that once a gamer is able to do something 100% of the time and be 100% effective, THAT'S what they're going to do. They don't care about "outsmarting" their opponents. They only care about being 100% successful using 1-2 tactics. Where's the FUN if I can do this single task without fear of error, but it forces my opponent to match my exploit to keep up or force to come up with groundbreaking gameplan to beat it?

I can't speak to stats for other games, but when it comes to sports...there's not a single athlete dead or alive that was able to product 100% effectiveness every time they played a game, hence the words "averages" and "stats". I'm sorry, but RNG is a must. It ONLY became a "problem" when players were able achieve 100% (aka green releases) on their shot attempts. Suddenly, shooting less than 90% is not "simulation" or "real basketball".
For a lot of people it comes down to the idea that perfection should be possible in a video game if I master or can cheat the mechanics. They want video games to be something that can produce an impossible result that can't happen in real life, because, "video games" A game being a sports game is no different than any other genre for them. "Flawless Victory"

Also, fun come from winning in the easiest way possible nothing else really matters, sport specific acumen is irrelevant. Non Franchise mode Online play is doomed forever in terms of realism, IMO. For people who want to play against other Users, simulation style franchise settings for User leagues are the only hope.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »