Home

This feels like a rush of meaningless content.

This is a discussion on This feels like a rush of meaningless content. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2021, 02:52 AM   #1
Rookie

furball321's Arena

OVR: 0
This feels like a rush of meaningless content.

Hi. I'm old. I remember Larry Sherry, Sandy Koufax, Juan Marichal and the guy that got blown off the mound in the world series. I played computer baseball games even before EA sports in 2005.

But what the heck? I've played The Show since 2K lost the MLB contract - granted, I only played Franchise mode. But, this year, I bought the game when it was released, so was subjected to all the bugs, server downtime, and so on.

This is not a gripe about how SDS is promoting Diamond Dynasty or any other mode to make money, and therefore is screwing the old-timer Franchise players. (psst: I think that's happening.)

No, this is a gripe about missions, manage squad, Inside edge, Moments, Exchages, 42, and all the other razzle-dazzle that SDS is throwing at us with NO explanation or schematic or ANYTHING about what exchanges are, what is the real goal of XP or stubs are, or how it all links together.

I understand. As a baseball afficionado, I should know how to play baseball. And, as a fan, I should have been following SDS because they were the ONLY MLB official developer. But pretend you come to this game as a baseball fan, but game newbie.

You have absolutely NO idea what to do with all the "paths" SDS offers. If you try to just play baseball, you miss out on half of the content SDS provides, because they stopped making franchise and baseball the priority. They made XP, Stubs and money for SDS the priority, it seems. If you play the game this year, you can certainly explore DEEP into menus that have nothing to do with playing a season of baseball.

God help you if you try to play the game before late May. It, or the servers are broken. BUT! Prior to this year, they always got the game to a place where, ok, let's play baseball. I can understand SDS trying to add content to the money-making parts of The Show, but why on earth would they make Franchise WORSE?

Is this the best MLB and SDS can do? The players? The officials? The mealy bureaucrats? We've taken a game that highlights both individualism and team work and reduced it to missions, moments, exchanges, 1st innings, little profit-making grafts and "team affinity," "player programs," and "daily moments," and "monthly awards?"

Are star athletes such wusses that they have to make double-headers - which used to be regular features of a club's season - 7 inning games? You gotta start an extra inning game with a runner on 2nd? OH, HELL! DON'T MAKE ME STAY UP TOO LATE!

Last edited by furball321; 04-28-2021 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Editted because it ws even longer and gripier.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2021, 03:14 AM   #2
Rookie

ExarKub00720's Arena

Re: This feels like a rush of meaningless content.

You have a few points I kinda agree with but half of them really have zero to do with The Show 21 and SDS and just baseball in general. The other half it feels like is stuff there been in the game for years. You don’t gotta like them, but almost everything you talked about has been common place in this game at least the last 3 years.

Is there some sever issues that at this point is beyond stupid? Yes. I just lost like 8 attribute points cause server wanted me to pick between a cloud save and local save and I had no clue which was better.

Is Franchise being ignored? You bet, is RTTS broken right now yes too. These are things I feel is gravely wrong right now and hopefully will be fixed.

The rest? Well dude you just need to redirect some of that anger I feel. Most of it is late to the party or misdirected at SDS for choices MLB made.

If you had really been playing since SDS took over a lot of this should be familiar already. Most of it not all the modes you mentioned are just side things for people. No one has to play them, you can ignore pretty much everything but the one or two modes you like in this game. If you get bored though there is a moments or maybe a DD conquest or home run derby or whatever. You don’t gotta do any of it but for people who like it what’s it matter to you anyway if you didn’t plan to play it? Let them have their fun and you do what you find entertaining in the game. Everyone wins.

Last edited by ExarKub00720; 04-28-2021 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:24 AM   #3
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

I honest to god don’t understand all the hate towards this game. People are entitled to their own opinion and feelings towards a product and that’s completely fine, but I’m just absolutely perplexed at the unequivocal hate this game is receiving.

Don’t get me wrong, server issues and the way they massacred RTTS are huge issues, but this game still plays an excellent game of baseball on the field, yet I’m seeing people say it’s ugly or they can’t play it because of grass and the graphics apparently being bad.

I don’t know, just my two cents on the matter. I’m on PS5 and the game is absolutely beautiful, and it plays like a dream. I’ve even dived into DD and am having a blast doing so (without spending a dime I might add)

Again, people have their opinion and there’s no judgment from my camp. I’m just having a hard time understanding how anyone can call this a bad game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

This is one of the worst posts I've ever read on this site.

Get.
A.
Grip.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
Pro

Look I understand some criticisms of the game (franchise has definitely been ignored for a while) but it's always weird to me how many of the "I just want to play baseball!" guys on here seem obsessed with doing everything but just playing baseball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #6
Rookie

Games are being rushed due to COVID look at the terrible games this year cyberpunk, madden, and now mlb 21 the show
Old 04-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I honest to god don’t understand all the hate towards this game. People are entitled to their own opinion and feelings towards a product and that’s completely fine, but I’m just absolutely perplexed at the unequivocal hate this game is receiving.

Don’t get me wrong, server issues and the way they massacred RTTS are huge issues, but this game still plays an excellent game of baseball on the field, yet I’m seeing people say it’s ugly or they can’t play it because of grass and the graphics apparently being bad.

I don’t know, just my two cents on the matter. I’m on PS5 and the game is absolutely beautiful, and it plays like a dream. I’ve even dived into DD and am having a blast doing so (without spending a dime I might add)

Again, people have their opinion and there’s no judgment from my camp. I’m just having a hard time understanding how anyone can call this a bad game.

The game is easily the worst looking of the next gen sports games. The grass textures have been needing updated since last gen. It isn't a bad looking game, but it doesn't look too next gen like the other sports games do.

There are some lighting issues as well. Mostly with dark areas being way too dark in some stadiums, but the biggest issue is the inconsistencies in texture quality. Just look at the players themselves. Half the uniforms looks good, then some parts like the pockets and Nike logo on the pants are all jarringly low res for essentially no reason at all.

The game does play well on the field. It always has, but outside of that it doesn't have too much else going well for it at the moment. Once the servers are running well I'm sure the DD side of things will be of quality, but the offline, non DD player will be stuck with the same shallow game that has them frustrated already.

If all you care about is gameplay on the field only, it's a very good game like always, but if you were expecting a jump in graphical fidelity and/or are someone who was wanting a deeper franchise experience, I see where the disappointment would come from.

Thankfully the game is on GamePass so I'll continue to play it, but I would find it hard to recommend it to anyone who is a franchise gamer who already has 20.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 04-28-2021, 11:25 AM   #8
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6

Ya I don't get it either.

I was reading user reviews on metacritic and the review bombing is hilarious. "Here is why a lot of us are giving it a zero" followed by a vague justification piece aimed to validate their objectivity. I have yet to read a review that justifies a zero. You don't like It? It gets a 4 or a 5?Ok I respect that. Zero ??? You just come off as a dude with an agenda.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »