Home

NHL 21 Goalie Guide: Channel Your Inner Roy

This is a discussion on NHL 21 Goalie Guide: Channel Your Inner Roy within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
NHL 21 Goalie Guide: Channel Your Inner Roy

Like many red-blooded Canadians, I had vague aspirations of becoming a professional hockey player when I...

Written By: Kevin Scott

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #2
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 21 Goalie Guide: Channel Your Inner Roy

Haven't seen one competitive goalie suggest hugging the pipe. It's so clunky. Kind of a shame how bad EA thinks goalies are are playing goalie.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #3
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
Haven't seen one competitive goalie suggest hugging the pipe. It's so clunky. Kind of a shame how bad EA thinks goalies are are playing goalie.
Same. No self respecting "top team" goalie will ever use post hugs, ever. Even though real life goalies will use it all the time.

As I've said before, EA's goalie engine is reliant on keeping your tendy centered to the shot and stop everything with his chest. As soon as the puck goes 2 feet beyond that, it's nearly a guaranteed goal. It's why 99% of all human goalies in NHL 21 make a 6'5", 180 lbs goalie and park him deep on the goal line while their teams prevent too many "good shots".

I've seen Esport teams play games where the shots where 6-5 and the score 3-2. The actual Patrick Roy would've committed seppuku on the ice at the end of the game if he'd allowed stats that horrible. Meanwhile their skaters will have blocked twice as many shots. That's EA "top" hockey in a nutshell: skaters block all the shots, goalies just stand there. LOL!

EA has hated goalies for a long while now. I'd say ever since Litty left. We'll never, ever, EVER see goalies be actually good in this series.

Last edited by VeNOM3099; 05-25-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM3099
Same. No self respecting "top team" goalie will ever use post hugs, ever. Even though real life goalies will use it all the time.

As I've said before, EA's goalie engine is reliant on keeping your tendy centered to the shot and stop everything with his chest. As soon as the puck goes 2 feet beyond that, it's nearly a guaranteed goal. It's why 99% of all human goalies in NHL 21 make a 6'5", 180 lbs goalie and park him deep on the goal line while their teams prevent too many "good shots".

I've seen Esport teams play games where the shots where 6-5 and the score 3-2. The actual Patrick Roy would've committed seppuku on the ice at the end of the game if he'd allowed stats that horrible. Meanwhile their skaters will have blocked twice as many shots. That's EA "top" hockey in a nutshell: skaters block all the shots, goalies just stand there. LOL!

EA has hated goalies for a long while now. I'd say ever since Litty left. We'll never, ever, EVER see goalies be actually good in this series.
I agree. They're afterthoughts for some reason to this team. Littman was committed to a sim experience, new team is committed to replicating NHL 94 or something lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »