Home

Contact hitting- pure analog

This is a discussion on Contact hitting- pure analog within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2021, 05:51 PM   #1
Rookie

Seancefc's Arena

OVR: 0
Contact hitting- pure analog

Has always confused me so thought I’d ask you guys for clarity!

Button hitting, in whatever guise, has a contact button- the entire plate can be covered using that button.

Analog hitting is another story. Unless I’m mistaken you can only achieve a ‘contact’ hit if you press the analog stick left or right. Naturally you’re only covering one side or the other, not really the centre in the event you’ve misread the pitch or mistimed.

Am I missing something or is it as above? If it is as mentioned, would anyone else agree hitting for contact using pure analog is a disadvantage compared to button hitting?

Last edited by Seancefc; 06-02-2021 at 05:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Contact hitting- pure analog

You can contact swing with analog if you press circle BEFORE the pitch. The same is true for power swing: press square before the pitch. (On Xbox, Contact Swing would be B and Power Swing is X).

So yes, you can select your swing type with analog. You just have to preload your swing type before the pitch (unless you use the side flick method you described).

Last edited by jeffy777; 06-02-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seancefc
Has always confused me so thought I’d ask you guys for clarity!

Button hitting, in whatever guise, has a contact button- the entire plate can be covered using that button.

Analog hitting is another story. Unless I’m mistaken you can only achieve a ‘contact’ hit if you press the analog stick left or right. Naturally you’re only covering one side or the other, not really the centre in the event you’ve misread the pitch or mistimed.

Am I missing something or is it as above? If it is as mentioned, would anyone else agree hitting for contact using pure analog is a disadvantage compared to button hitting?
Yeah, you're a little off on the controller commands. Pure Analog has a unique swing type command since using multiple buttons to choose a type doesn't mesh well with the analog motion. Just press Square (X on XBOX) prior to the pitcher beginning his windup to do a power swing, or Circle (B on XBOX) to do a contact swing. The game defaults to Normal swing if you don't press anything, but if you choose one of the other types and change your mind, press X (A on XBOX) to revert to a normal swing. You do NOT have to hold any of these buttons through the swing - just pressing one and releasing before the pitcher starts the windup is enough. Once you've chosen a swing type (or haven't in the case of normal) just swing with the analog stick motion.

You'll be able to see the difference the best in practice mode, and verify that this is how it works. The Power swing decreases the size of the PCI in the swing/pitch info, increasing the risk of a swing and miss but also increasing exit velocity. Contact swing increases the size of the PCI making it easier to make contact, but reduces exit velocity, making it easier to hit into a weak out on a fringe PCI impact. It's still possible to hit HR's with contact swings (some would say too frequently, but that's another story) and especially if you perfect-perfect, but contact quality and power still depends heavily on a batter's ratings, and the pitcher's H/9 and K/9 ratings that oppose them.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
Rookie

Seancefc's Arena

Thanks guys. You USED to be able to select your swing type going back years maybe 14/15? But they removed that when they ripped out striding by pulling back.

Will give it a shot with the old way of doing it!
Old 06-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #5
Rookie

Seancefc's Arena

Tried the above...no feedback when button was pressed (not sure if that’s by design?).

PCI remained the same size on feedback regardless of contact/power swing.

I’m concerned it isn’t working! PS5 btw.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2021, 09:15 PM   #6
Rookie

Stringer's Arena

So, for pure analog:

RS Up -> Normal Swing
RS Down, then Up -> Power Swing
RS Left *or* Right -> Contact Swing
Old 06-04-2021, 11:41 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seancefc
Tried the above...no feedback when button was pressed (not sure if that’s by design?).

PCI remained the same size on feedback regardless of contact/power swing.

I’m concerned it isn’t working! PS5 btw.
I'm PS5 too, and it definitely works. I think we're having a miscommunication here, and it stems from there being multiple different ways to analog swing.

Let's get this out of the way first - the face buttons pre-pitch don't act as swing modifiers, and you won't get the feedback for pressing them before the pitch unless you're using the "Stride" analog type. That's because Stride requires you to pull back on the analog stick pre-pitch on every swing, making that same motion unavailable as a power swing control. That's what I meant about the "unique" swing motion in the other post (though I was a little mistaken when I called it Pure Analog). That's independent of all other swing options - even if you're using Zone interface with analog as the input type, having analog type on "Stride" means that you'll need to press the face buttons to choose your swing type (normal, power, contact) before the pitch. And there is a vibration feedback when one of those swings is activated.

Analog type on "Flick" means that the controls for swinging are entirely on the right stick - as you said, it's push straight up for a normal swing, back then forward for power, and left/right for contact. There's no feedback on this setting because the act of swinging itself (the motion you make on the right stick) determines your swing type.

I don't understand why you wouldn't be seeing the visual feedback in the lower-left corner though - no matter which swing type you're using there should be a clear difference in the size of the PCI in that window when you contact swing vs. when you power swing. Try setting the input type to stride just so you can see what I mean with the vibration feedback (just to verify that you're actually changing your swing) and then look at the window to see if the PCI is a different size on each type of swing. It should be, and it definitely is on my game.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:28 AM   #8
Rookie

Seancefc's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I'm PS5 too, and it definitely works. I think we're having a miscommunication here, and it stems from there being multiple different ways to analog swing.

Let's get this out of the way first - the face buttons pre-pitch don't act as swing modifiers, and you won't get the feedback for pressing them before the pitch unless you're using the "Stride" analog type. That's because Stride requires you to pull back on the analog stick pre-pitch on every swing, making that same motion unavailable as a power swing control. That's what I meant about the "unique" swing motion in the other post (though I was a little mistaken when I called it Pure Analog). That's independent of all other swing options - even if you're using Zone interface with analog as the input type, having analog type on "Stride" means that you'll need to press the face buttons to choose your swing type (normal, power, contact) before the pitch. And there is a vibration feedback when one of those swings is activated.

Analog type on "Flick" means that the controls for swinging are entirely on the right stick - as you said, it's push straight up for a normal swing, back then forward for power, and left/right for contact. There's no feedback on this setting because the act of swinging itself (the motion you make on the right stick) determines your swing type.

I don't understand why you wouldn't be seeing the visual feedback in the lower-left corner though - no matter which swing type you're using there should be a clear difference in the size of the PCI in that window when you contact swing vs. when you power swing. Try setting the input type to stride just so you can see what I mean with the vibration feedback (just to verify that you're actually changing your swing) and then look at the window to see if the PCI is a different size on each type of swing. It should be, and it definitely is on my game.
Thanks for the detailed reply!

To be clear, when I flick to left or right I do see an increase in PCI, my issue being this will only cover the left or right side of the strike zone. I just wasn’t on the button press pre-pitch- but you’ve explained why.

Where you have hitting with the swing type selection before the pitch, the larger contact pci will go wherever you aim it, as opposed to either left or right with pure analog-flick. So if I get a low ball down the middle, I’m unlikely to get contact because my contact PCI only covers left or right.

My point is it seems limited in comparison, which shouldn’t be the case.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »