Home

NFL 2k5 Rewrite History Mod -Biggest Mod Sports Video Game History!

This is a discussion on NFL 2k5 Rewrite History Mod -Biggest Mod Sports Video Game History! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #1
Pro

chibears96's Arena

OVR: 6
Icon10 NFL 2k5 Rewrite History Mod -Biggest Mod Sports Video Game History!

Hello 2k5 Fans and Football Fans!

I am about one weeks away from release and have just been way too excited to refrain from posting anything on this mighty project I started 3 years back. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel through all the craziness that has been the past few years IM ECSTATCED to finally talk about, and release this!

Soooooo what exactly is this?
Glad you asked! This is a mod for 2k5 that adds a roster file/Franchise File/ and Draft Class from 1940 (Draft class starts in 1936) to 2022’s upcoming draft class. Yes no part of that was a typo this is 80 years of football each season recreated team by team player by player! Impossible you say? Well it is very much possible if you spend every waking hour doing this! Basically using many many sources, formulas, an excel sheet that was so big it crashed my last laptop, and time and effort I have created pretty much every season and draft class!
Once you find a base roster file it isn’t AS difficulty as one would think. I have to give the biggest shout out to Bad AL and his amazing editor which basically allowed me to open each file in excel, use my extensive formulas to gather all the data needed, and then edit players to my likings and import them through his editor. After the 50s I also used Bad AL’s nfl history program which I used to cross reference myself in case I missed any player had incorrect skin tone etc etc. Worked like a charm! Thank you Bad Al wouldn’t have been possible without you! And I really hope you continue to update the editor because it has single handedly saved this project from capsizing.
So, starting in 1940 I created the 1940 roster by hand, and created a name database that pulls names in the game, or in the roster to fill out every team that didn’t exist back then. This was to help with name corruption issues in franchise mode(which I will go into great lengths about in a moment). So I generated generic players for all other teams, and the actual NFL teams data was pulled from three different websites, cross referenced with each other, then added into the game and I went team by team editing ratings errors etc. Any team that didn’t fill out the 53 man roster or was missing positional players also received generic players. After that I created the franchise file imported the draft class and moved on to 1941, then 42, and on and on and on (shout out Erykah Badu).
Again Bad AL’s program made this much simpler then it sounds still a crap ton of work, but I am not putting the final touches on the 2000’s rosters, and the current year rosters.
WHICH YES I have a fully working 2k22 roster with all the rookies up to the 5th round in. The rest are in free agency!
So in due time you’ll be able to play with Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Patrick Surtain and the rest!

Franchise Mode and Draft Classes
I can’t thank the community and the content creators enough for keeping 2k5 alive and kicking. So amazing what a job you guys have done on rosters, and equipment, and ratings. But, one thing I do miss in 2k5 that’s not present in most new rosters?
Rebuilding teams, going far into the future with a squad, progression, drafting, free agent pickup. I miss building teams in 2k5. Madden has stole the show there I spend hours watching youtubers rebuild teams in Madden. And I just kept thinking. This sucks 2k5 deserves this too. And that is what most of my manpower has went to. Drafting, and going deep in a franchise!
Each roster file has its own franchise file each file is made and tested to work at least 10 years in the future! Each file has avoided freezing issues, name corruption, and other catastrophic issues. They all use the same base file, and all files have at least 150 free agents, the other free agents slots are taken up by generic players with the same name who’s ratings are all 0 and years pro is maxed. So they retire immediately and make it hard to run into the name limit. The way it works is you load a franchise file lets say 1962 you play the season when you get to the draft you will notice you have 1963 rookies already in thanks to me! Each draft class features at least 250 of the top draft picks. After that you will enter pre season it may freeze for 5 minutes or so, but every file has been tested and is working past year uno. After the pre season youll save it go to 2k5 editor and import the new draft class and schedule(Instructional video will come upon release of this). And done! Youll be in year 1963 with 1964 draft class and you can keep going and going from there.

You can import any draft class or schedule as well you can import the current draft class with Sam Howell in 1942 franchise mode if you want to for some reason. There is also a trick with importing the class that keeps it from corrupting names or mixing them up which I will go into detail upon launch!
There will be draft classes going up to 2025 using a prospect board website I found, after that I have created fictional draft classes that work well with my rosters!

The rosters themselves are formulated for the best of all worlds. Each roster goes through an extensive editing formula that makes passing game much easier and realistic while also preserving sim stats, and team and player ratings. When teams and players are rated on a similar scale as 2k5 they progress much more realistically so I kept that in mind I have a scale and formula I use that determines how good a player played during this season how his career played out and grades him accordingly.
They are kinda harsh grades. The winless Browns Lions and Bucs have all been 25-45 offense and defense ratings. Most QB’s are rated around 60s-70s this creates a lot of parity at the QB position. Tom Brady will not play like Tim Tebow and vice versa. I will include an entire rating breakdown upon release as well!
I have found through lots of research that certain intangible stats seem to help players progress. Such as consistency, composure, leadership, and stamina. Players who are future hall of famers got a huge bump in these attributes. When rating the draft classes I’ve combined this and the normal stats to help draft gems and bust play out accordingly.
For example. Jamarcus Russell will have good ratings compared to other QB’s, but really really bad intangible stats. So in theory and what I have found out is he may start at a certain overall, but wont go up from there. Where as Tom Brady starts with below average ratings, but insane intangible stats which helps him progress a lot more.
In test I’ve seen Tom Brady go from a 70 overall rookie year to a 100 overall by year 5. BUT! The best thing about 2k5 weird and misunderstood progression system is some times Brady just didn’t progress past an 80. Which in my opinion is really cool! Because it is realistic players don’t just keep improving from year 1 and stop at a certain age like in madden it is a bit more random but it does make it fun because players career path change so often
It. Is. Beautiful to see.

I obviously can’t do everything, and this is an alpha release to gage excitement and engagement. There’s a lot of work still to go and I’m currently designing a road map of where I see this project going forward. Please note that other then spending more time on this then my actual full time job. I do have a full time job haha and it has slowed the progress a tad bit.
The things that are currently in the works are as followed:
Hex Editing for each file
Playbooks for each of the 32 current teams for better offense play and more real to life 2021 play
Coaches
Clearing stats in each franchise to fix sim stat glitch in second season
AAFC 1945-1950
All Decade Teams
All Rookie Teams
Fantasy Rosters
Equipment(I’m not the best with equipment.. I kinda made most players very similar other then the obvious one’s from star players. But do not expect a backup QB on the 1971 Raiders to have the correct equipment, or even newer players this will take time and I will be better at it!)
Also, after release I’ll update each season one by one. This will be a ratings check, equipment check, skin tone, years pro, ironing out any issues with each season.

This will all be included in the road map I am creating for the project. Right now roughly speaking I expect to have an Alpha release by
6/17/2021 Alpha Release
Weekly update for my patreon members and bi weekly for everyone else
Patreon members also will have their name in the game in the fictional draft classes 😊
They will also have prioritization when it comes to what files get updated first!
9/1/2021 Full Release with each file gone through and bugs and issues mostly cleared
Each NFL week will have an update and a cool “Start today” feature that will allow you to start a franchise file wherever we are in the actual season like Madden and NBA 2k I’ll just update this file and play the games out to as accurate as possible stats as real life.

SO Much More but my brain hurts I need to go back to staring at spreadsheets and formulas while im off from work today.

Currently Unfinished
1996 Franchise and Roster
1997 Franchise and Roster
1998 Roster
2006-2016 Franchise and Roster
1945-1950 Franchise and Roster

I just want to keep 2k5 alive and kicking and this project has made me fall in love with 2k5’s shortcomings, and its greatest attributes once again. It is not perfect and this mod wont be perfect, but it will be a lot of work effort and love in it, and it’s not like Madden isn’t without its flaws. Every game has flaws but 2k5 just has it I think the greatest sports game ever deserves the most ambitious project ever.
Thank you all for the support! Thank you Bad Al, Finn, Dolphin26, LostSoul, Rickster, Gilboldberg, Puja, Jsou, Packers, RyanMoody, SoftDrinkTV and the other GOATS of the forum and youtube sphere for all the work and effort went into all your files and findings. I hope this continues 2k5’s life another 10 years and build another amazing community that rivals other football games. Lets bring 2k5 back into the limelight
Again this project is very taxing please support if you can on my patreon, youtube channel where I’ll have simulations, and post fun rebuild challenges! And if you guys make any content out of these rosters or have cool games/highlight LET US KNOW share please the more engagement the better.

I’m also a part of another very large project if you are interested in advanced NBA Stats check it out here!
https://consciousbasketball.com/

https://www.patreon.com/2k5rewritehistory

Love you all talk to you soon!
Attached Files
File Type: zip PS2.zip (7.69 MB, 558 views)
File Type: zip PS2 part 2.zip (7.72 MB, 495 views)
File Type: zip PS2 part 3.zip (7.49 MB, 466 views)
File Type: zip PS2 part 4.zip (7.11 MB, 477 views)
File Type: zip PS2 part 5.zip (2.54 MB, 431 views)

Last edited by chibears96; 07-22-2021 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Xbox/PS3 Files converted most 2000-2021 files uploaded as well
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #2
Pro

chibears96's Arena

Re: NFL 2k5 Rewrite History Mod -Biggest Mod Sports Video Game History!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMkga1lt1hs

Here I go into more detail on how the franchise mode/draft classes work!
Attached Files
File Type: zip PS3 Files.zip (7.29 MB, 48 views)
File Type: zip PS3 Files part 2.zip (7.78 MB, 50 views)
File Type: zip PS3 Files part 3.zip (7.62 MB, 63 views)
File Type: zip PS3 Files part 4.zip (6.46 MB, 50 views)
File Type: zip Draft Classes and Other Files.zip (2.56 MB, 169 views)

Last edited by chibears96; 07-22-2021 at 11:37 AM. Reason: PS3 Files attached here
Old 06-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
Pro

chibears96's Arena

Alright guys so I have a very early release for you all!
These are the files that are at a stage of being done or have been tested at least to work later into a franchise. Sadly I was unable to covert most of the roster, and some franchise files to xbox. I will finish that probably this weekend and get that uploaded. And please any xbox users let me know if everything works as normal without any hiccups I got a xbox 360, and a copy of 2k5 on the way so I'll be able to test as well yay!

This will be updated constantly looking to do it on a bi-weekly schedule starting with the most recent files and going from there.

The best way to actually load the draft class in correctly and without messing up players names is alittle complicated. I'll try to explain it here and hopefully Bad Al knows a way to make it more simple going forward with his editor. But i'll also go into more detail in an instruction video later. But here's a go!

1.Finish the first year, and preseason for year number 2.
2.Save your franchise, and export it somewhere on your PC.
3.Using Finn's editor go to draft classes, and change all the current draft picks attributes to 0.
4.Then load in the needed draft class and save.
5.Some names may get jumbled keep a look out if there are a bunch of very noticeable jumbled names let me know what class you use and your franchise file. So I can correct it for future releases!

If your franchise file has a free agent pool of more then 300 or so at the beginning of the next season after the pre season.

BEFORE ADDING THE DRAFT CLASS
1.Go to free agent team, sort the players by leadership in descending order so players with lowest leadership ratings first.

2.Then import the file labeled "BaseFaFix" over free agents team.

This will overwrite around 200 free agents with players named "John Smith". Very low rated players that wont get picked up by teams, and will retire after the season.
This clears the name pool quicker so you can continue to add draft classes later in your franchise.

And you're done! Save and load back into 2k5 and now you have your desired draft class in for the next season.

Updates will include
Hex Edits for each file
Correct uniforms logos for teams
Coaches created
Playbooks for current teams
A go through of all teams and draft picks for rating correction equipment all that fun stuff.
Alot of files got stuff jumbled with duplicate names, and players years pro and ages being incorrect
So that will be fixed for each file starting in 2021 going down. Also any files that are missing will be updated every so often until September where we should have all rosters franchises and draft classes ready to go!!

Give it a try they are definitely a bit janky some more then others they were all updated and created some place different in the process. So the biggest thing I want to do is get consistency between players ratings equipments and fixing alot of glaring issues. But! It is a good starting point and hopefully the community can help me get these files as perfect as can be!

These are the Xbox Files and up to date 2k22 file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Rewrite History 2k22.zip (1.48 MB, 109 views)
File Type: zip Rewrite History Xbox part 1.zip (6.78 MB, 87 views)
File Type: zip Rewrite History Xbox part 2.zip (7.23 MB, 68 views)
File Type: zip Rewrite History Xbox part 3.zip (6.48 MB, 73 views)
File Type: zip Rewrite History Xbox part 4.zip (7.71 MB, 84 views)

Last edited by chibears96; 07-22-2021 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Xbox files converted
Old 06-10-2021, 11:46 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

Incredible. Very much looking forward to this.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:00 AM   #5
Pro

chibears96's Arena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rT5pz469dw

Recorded some alpha gameplay of Jets vs 49ers 2022! Trey Lance vs Zach Wilson check it out very dumb crazy video game ending love it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran

db56's Arena

OVR: 8

Incredible!

The key for long lasting franchise immersion is to have a good idea and feel for how the ratings and progression system work, reading through your manifesto looks like you have it covered.

Can't wait for the first release man!
Old 06-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #7
Pro

chibears96's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by db56
Incredible!

The key for long lasting franchise immersion is to have a good idea and feel for how the ratings and progression system work, reading through your manifesto looks like you have it covered.

Can't wait for the first release man!
Thanks man means alot!
I will in no way claim 2k5 to be perfect even by 2004 standards lol, but it has been a blast picking this game apart and seeing how it works. And in some ways I enjoy the way it implements things even better then most current sports titles. Even if it doesn't fully work like my test have shown going far into a franchise mode or playing with older school rosters is just great with 2k5. Hopefully everything works on release and others can experience it too.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:57 PM   #8
Veteran

db56's Arena

OVR: 8

Hoping we can get files for all platforms right away, I play 2K5 on a stock Xbox360.

Can we get a link to your Patreon account? Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »