Home

Racing wheels - force feedback problem

This is a discussion on Racing wheels - force feedback problem within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
All Star

OVR: 8
Racing wheels - force feedback problem

I purchased my first racing wheel a couple of weeks ago, Logitech g29. I have mostly been playing Forza horizon 4 and motorsport 7.

I was really excited to use it, but my experience with it has been awful. I have traced the problems back to the force feedback feature but I can't figure out a good fix. Has anyone else experienced this/any ideas on how to improve it?

Basically the problem is that the force feedback causes something inside the wheel to bounce and knock against the wheel and I can feel it physically hit something. The problem is that for instance if you're trying to hold a turn and you suddenly have this hard knock against the wheel then it becomes very hard to control. Even just going in a straight line there are exaggerated hits against the wheel internally.

To show just how much of a problem this has been for me. I play on Pro difficulty with all but breaking line assist turned off (and rewind which I will redo the race if I have to use). There was one road race in Horizon that I tried 12 times, with heavy use of rewind, and the best that I could get was 4th or 5th. I switched to the controller for, and on my first try without any assists I won by several seconds.

I keep seeing the Logitech wheels recommended as a good entry option for people who don't want to spend $1000, but so far my experience has been less realistic than a controller.

I did try turning force feedback off in game, which did fix the "knocking" problem, but also it took away all resistance on the wheel (even as I tried to adjust other setting to increase resistance).

Sent from my S10 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Racing wheels - force feedback problem

I wish I could provide an answer which was more specific to your application, but I'll offer a semi-related experience I had with a Logitech G920 wheel and the XBox One X. Like the G29, the G920 also uses helical gearing as the force feedback drive mechanism. When it worked right, the steering had a "gritty" feel to it thanks to the 'step' nature of the helical gear transfer mechanism.

However, I never felt the bounce and knock you're describing. That would be horrible enough, but my G920 had a connection problem with the plug connector in the wheel hub, and half the time I couldn't get the games to respond to a left turn command because the connector plug had a defect in it and one and sometimes two of the conductors would open circuit which resulted in no response to left steering commands. I tried to fix it myself and was unsuccessful, resulting in a $400 (price of the Logitech 920 at that time) warranty voided brick.

I went from there to buy a Thrustmaster TX leather wheel with T3PA peddles for what I believe was a price screw-up, at $250 for the complete package, while most others were selling just the wheel for $300 at that time. It's belt driven and has been a dream. It works great with all my XBox Series X/XBox One X and PC racing games
Old 07-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Racing wheels - force feedback problem

Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beat with gear driven force feedback. I have no issue with my G29, but it was a learning curve to understand how to “fight” your car so to say. This is also more evident in some games then others, but you will always feel it with the G29.

Best advice I could give is to look into modifications to the wheel to support belt drive (not even remotely sure this is possible, would have to do some investigating), or re-invest in a belt drive wheel (T300 from Thrustmaster sticks out as a good alternative at roughly the same price). You could also look towards direct drive, which would give you the best feel, but the prices of these run quite high

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »