Home

A Reasonable Quick Fix By EA to Include Refs in Madden 22

This is a discussion on A Reasonable Quick Fix By EA to Include Refs in Madden 22 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 08-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
A Reasonable Quick Fix By EA to Include Refs in Madden 22

Just saw Madden's Lead Developer confirm refs will not be included in the game. From a gameplay standpoint it might not be an issue, but from an aesthetics standpoint in 2021 it is a big miss as I feel like I'm in a scrimmage versus a live game. Not to mention the fact that this game has produced 30+ annual versions and cannot figure out how to include refs when the other sports gaming companies have not seemed to have any issue for the past 2+ decades?

To me since the argument by EA is that refs interfere with player movement, why not just have the ref appear at the line of scrimmage then when the ball is hiked/play in motion they disappear? Seems like a reasonable fix to me that preserves the true simulation feel of how an NFL video game should be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: A Reasonable Quick Fix By EA to Include Refs in Madden 22

Just to get people fuss and call them lazy cause they’re not there during gameplay, I think they’d rather not bother until they can overhaul it all to include them properly.

Last edited by TheBleedingRed21; 08-05-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
MVP

Reed1417's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Just to get people fuss and call them lazy cause they’re not there during gameplay, I think they’d rather not bother until they get overhaul it all to include them properly.
Yup cause that's EXACTLY what would happen I can hear the internet now.

"Billion dollar company can't figure out how to get referees to stay on the field during gameplay. What's the point of even having them in if they just disappear?"

I'm with a lot of you in the respect that it's so weird not seeing them on the field, but in the past few years since taking them out I haven't really noticed or paid much attention to that.

But here's the kicker, if they bring them back and they do it the way they want to (example making them part of the field of play) and players run into them and that stuff....I could see people losing their MINDS over that stuff. Especially if it costs someone a game because "the ref got in my way and I tripped over him/her! EA sucks blah blah blah".

So we'll see how/when/if they bring them back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reed's WWE 2k23 Universe: Youtube Edition
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...e-edition.html
Old 08-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

How exactly would they interfere with player movement though? There have been many driving games where you can't run over the pedestrians walking around so they dodge the cars. There's no collision detection on them either just incase. They can't put animations in the game where they move out the way of the players?
Old 08-05-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Madden 22 was internally feature-complete at least two months ago, has likely gone gold by now, and the post-launch support roadmap was in all likelihood already set in stone well before now as well (example: we have known what’s coming in the September update - the new scouting feature - since E3).

There is no reasonable quick fix to get referees in the game this year. Nothing in large enterprise software projects or AAA live service video games is ever built quickly. Don’t hold your breath waiting for on-field officials in Madden 22.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #6
Emerald Archer

Sphinx's Arena

Yeah refs not being on the field doesn't bother me. When they first did it back in 20 or 19 whatever it was, I thought it would annoy me. However I don't even notice they're not there. I prefer it now actually.

Sent from my LE2125 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #7
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx
Yeah refs not being on the field doesn't bother me. When they first did it back in 20 or 19 whatever it was, I thought it would annoy me. However I don't even notice they're not there. I prefer it now actually.

Sent from my LE2125 using Operation Sports mobile app
Yeah, the only reason I want them back is so that there will be one less bash EA talking point that gets brought up every year.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:37 PM   #8

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

Put me in the camp that wants the refs back but it doesn’t really bother me that they are gone. What I’d really like back is the walk to the line of scrimmage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »