Home

Little things that remain broken for years

This is a discussion on Little things that remain broken for years within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
Little things that remain broken for years

I'm looking open discussion on things that should have been addressed a long, long time ago, but continue to be in the game as if everything is working as normal. For the record, even as a franchise-only player, I do not mean improvements to the non-gameplay aspect of franchise.

For instance: bunting. This is something that used to work somewhat well back in the late 2000's, but for at least the past five versions, it is virtually impossible to bunt. 90% of bunts are either rockets or popped up. Why? I understand that baseball has shifted away from small ball in favor of the almighty home run, but you should still be able to drop a bunt down. One of my favorite strategies--which does not work at all in The Show--is to bunt with the second hitter of the first inning after the leadoff guy gets on. Why does it have to be this way?

Second...official scoring. Official scoring is not overly complex, but The Show makes it seem like you need to be a brain surgeon to know proper official scoring rules. For example, in a game I just finished, this scenario played out:

Tie game in the bottom of the 10th (extra inning runner is turned off FWIW). First hitter hits a rocket to first base that gets under the first baseman's glove. It is properly scored an E3 (in other words, he reached on the error. But for the error, the runner would not have reached.) Yes, I just repeated myself because it seems like that gets misunderstood. On the next pitch, the runner steals second. Fine. Here is the problem: the hitter drives in the run, securing the win for his team. No big deal (I was on the losing end). HOWEVER, my pitcher is charged with an earned run! Why? I don't know. Under zero circumstances should this have been an earned run.

Those right there are my two biggest gripes on the gameplay side. I would love to hear others' input on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is frustrated that these simple items have not been fixed after all these years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2021, 10:49 AM   #2
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Re: Little things that remain broken for years

Bunting is not hard if you have a skilled player (i.e. good bunt ratings). Don't expect to be able to bunt with anyone.

The scoring decision stuff, I have no comment as I don't really get bothered by stats.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:56 AM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I bunt quite well (sacrifice and bunt for hits). Its no longer automatic like it was back on '16 when you could essentially bunt perfectly with anyone.

I use zone hitting and bunting isn't an issue where I simply cannot bunt successfully no matter the player or user input.

Official scoring, I personally haven't run across, or noticed, the issue that you're referring to in regards to unearned run being counted as earned.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-27-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I bunt quite well (sacrifice and bunt for hits). Its no longer automatic like it was back on '16 when you could essentially bunt perfectly with anyone.

I use zone hitting and bunting isn't an issue where I simply cannot bunt successfully no matter the player or user input.

Official scoring, I personally haven't run across, or noticed, the issue that you're referring to in regards to unearned run being counted as earned.
I'm sure that I can't be the only one seeing the scoring issue, because that would mean that my copy is just defective...

Here's another scenario:

Bases empty. Batter hits a ball to the deepest part of the ballpark. A likely double if all things are normal. Outfielder overruns the ball, allowing the batter to make it to third. But then, the throw into the infield is wild and the runner is able to score.

Here's how this was scored: Triple (arguable, but not egregious. Could have been a double given the bobble in the outfield) and...an RBI! I mean, that isn't right, no matter what way you slice it.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Bunting is not hard if you have a skilled player (i.e. good bunt ratings). Don't expect to be able to bunt with anyone.

The scoring decision stuff, I have no comment as I don't really get bothered by stats.
Interesting point about bunting. I had to double-check some ratings and it does look like this COULD be my issue. I'll keep an eye on this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #6
Pro

One thing I want to add to the list of issues, but I also know there have been threads on this, is stealing. Stealing seems like it's virtually impossible. And I will say it goes both ways. I generally have no trouble throwing out baserunners trying to steal, as long as the throw isn't wild.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeureally27
I'm sure that I can't be the only one seeing the scoring issue, because that would mean that my copy is just defective...

Here's another scenario:

Bases empty. Batter hits a ball to the deepest part of the ballpark. A likely double if all things are normal. Outfielder overruns the ball, allowing the batter to make it to third. But then, the throw into the infield is wild and the runner is able to score.

Here's how this was scored: Triple (arguable, but not egregious. Could have been a double given the bobble in the outfield) and...an RBI! I mean, that isn't right, no matter what way you slice it.
Again, I haven't seen it or noticed it if it happened.

Old 08-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeureally27
One thing I want to add to the list of issues, but I also know there have been threads on this, is stealing. Stealing seems like it's virtually impossible. And I will say it goes both ways. I generally have no trouble throwing out baserunners trying to steal, as long as the throw isn't wild.
Read through the threads on stealing and you'll see some extremely helpful advice.

I've been successful stealing as has the CPU and I've been thrown out and have thrown out CPU baserunners attempting to steal.

In my experience its extremely balanced and does a good job of taking several factors into effect in regards to whether the steal attempt is successful or not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »