Home

Rubberband AI??

This is a discussion on Rubberband AI?? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
Rubberband AI??

I know this topic has been discussed before but I cant help but feel that there is rubberbanding AI that kicks in after a certain gap in the score of the game.

Im not claiming the cpu cheats or im pissed off because of a comeback loss, but from my experience it happens both ways. Ive played only play now games.

For example, im the jets playing the browns ( jets are rated 76, browns 87)....

Browns jump out to 21-0 lead, and their defensive line is just killing the jets. But as soon as it hits 21-0, the difficulty just drops even when the browns have FULL momentum. I can almost predict that I will score on the cpu. It's like the game doesnt like 3 score games or more. Same thing when I get a lead after dominating the CPU. You can feel it gets much tougher to put them away for good when compared to jumping out to that lead.

Ive seen this in pro and all pro.

Anyone else see this??

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rubberband AI??

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
I know this topic has been discussed before but I cant help but feel that there is rubberbanding AI that kicks in after a certain gap in the score of the game.

Im not claiming the cpu cheats or im pissed off because of a comeback loss, but from my experience it happens both ways. Ive played only play now games.

For example, im the jets playing the browns ( jets are rated 76, browns 87)....

Browns jump out to 21-0 lead, and their defensive line is just killing the jets. But as soon as it hits 21-0, the difficulty just drops even when the browns have FULL momentum. I can almost predict that I will score on the cpu. It's like the game doesnt like 3 score games or more. Same thing when I get a lead after dominating the CPU. You can feel it gets much tougher to put them away for good when compared to jumping out to that lead.

Ive seen this in pro and all pro.

Anyone else see this??

Seen it both ways on All Madden as well. I don't mind it like i do in racing games, but i think it's definitely there.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

This might depend on how you play the game, difficulty, sliders, etc.

For example, I play Offense-Only, All-Madden with default sliders.

I won the Super Bowl in my first season, with the Broncos, 24-7 vs the Packers. I shut down KC in the AFC Conf game 28-3. Before that, I blew out the Jaguars like 45-3. However, in week... 13? I lost a game after leading by 20 points as my defense couldn't stop a drive to save their lives in the 2nd half and my offense stalled out.

I had also traded Von Miller, mid-way through the season, because he thought about retiring (which led to some funny cut scenes later in the season when he sat down with Vic Fangio, in his Giants uniform, to tell me he wasn't going to retire anyways!).

I don't think there's a "comeback mechanic" specifically, but it could be due to playcalling decisions by the AI, defenses you play, etc. If the AI decides it needs a lot of yards quickly and starts airing it out, and your defense isn't capable of handling that, you could be in for a rough time.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Rubberband AI??

The Madden devs have maintained for a long time that there is no rubber band AI in the game.

Any number of things could be the catalyst for a CPU comeback, but some starting questions:

- are you aggressively rotating in backup defensive linemen for a couple plays when starters exhaust their block shedding / pass rush moves points? The same pool is used for both block shedding and pass rushing. If your DLs don’t have any rush move points before a play starts, you are going to get run over. If your DLs don’t have any rush move points and you don’t blitz, the CPU QB will find an open receiver. Most people don’t rotate linemen on their own because the in game substitution interface is clunky.

- are you mixing up your play calls, like are you really getting into your entire playbook? I am under the impression that, particularly on All Madden, the CPU will start aggressively calling counters to repeat play calls even after a small number of uses.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
This might depend on how you play the game, difficulty, sliders, etc.

For example, I play Offense-Only, All-Madden with default sliders.

I won the Super Bowl in my first season, with the Broncos, 24-7 vs the Packers. I shut down KC in the AFC Conf game 28-3. Before that, I blew out the Jaguars like 45-3. However, in week... 13? I lost a game after leading by 20 points as my defense couldn't stop a drive to save their lives in the 2nd half and my offense stalled out.

I had also traded Von Miller, mid-way through the season, because he thought about retiring (which led to some funny cut scenes later in the season when he sat down with Vic Fangio, in his Giants uniform, to tell me he wasn't going to retire anyways!).

I don't think there's a "comeback mechanic" specifically, but it could be due to playcalling decisions by the AI, defenses you play, etc. If the AI decides it needs a lot of yards quickly and starts airing it out, and your defense isn't capable of handling that, you could be in for a rough time.

Ahh could be because it's offense only but thx for the detailed answer. Its usually on the defensive side where the problems arise on both me and the cpu.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The Madden devs have maintained for a long time that there is no rubber band AI in the game.

Any number of things could be the catalyst for a CPU comeback, but some starting questions:

- are you aggressively rotating in backup defensive linemen for a couple plays when starters exhaust their block shedding / pass rush moves points? The same pool is used for both block shedding and pass rushing. If your DLs don’t have any rush move points before a play starts, you are going to get run over. If your DLs don’t have any rush move points and you don’t blitz, the CPU QB will find an open receiver. Most people don’t rotate linemen on their own because the in game substitution interface is clunky.

- are you mixing up your play calls, like are you really getting into your entire playbook? I am under the impression that, particularly on All Madden, the CPU will start aggressively calling counters to repeat play calls even after a small number of uses.

The answers to your questions regarding the subbing is no I do not. I have auto subs on with fatigue around 65/70. I play only using play now, so I have no idea about pass rush points and whatnot.

But I also see this when I play offense and down by 3 scores. The cpu defense which has been straight out stomping me to get their 3 score lead, suddenly cant cover anybody. Getting consecutive completions over 30 yards while the first portion of the game I couldnt do a thing, which is accurate when I used the Jets vs Browns team.

And I called vaniila plays to test this out. You can feel the difficulty actually lowered by the CPU, and theyre on FULL momentum with my camera shaking too. If anything, the ratings boost for the cpu at this point should make it HARDER for me to score, instead of easier. Next game you play, try to pick a bad team vs a good team and see if you do get to big time deficit... 3 scores or more, and see if the cpu defense relaxes at that point.

If this is in the game, which many people have claimed over the years, it is inexcusable, because with sliders we can make it so that playing against a tough team will feel tough without the help of boosta for the team in a huge deficit.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Rubberband AI??

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
If this is in the game, which many people have claimed over the years, it is inexcusable, because with sliders we can make it so that playing against a tough team will feel tough without the help of boosta for the team in a huge deficit.
Again, EA has claimed that rubber band AI is not in Madden. Repeatedly. They are the only people who would know 100% for sure if it was there. If you can’t take their word for it, I don’t know what to tell you.

As a counter example - in Madden 21 on PS4, because receivers got in and out of their route stems so much faster than pass rushers could ever beat blockers, I was capable of literally naming my score on All Madden difficulty against the CPU as long as I had a good QB and one wide receiver with the Outside Apprentice ability. If there were rubberbanding in Madden, we can agree it certainly would have kicked in before I went up 35-0 on a hapless CPU in the first quarter, and absolutely before I finished a game 100-7 or whatever.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 09-01-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:00 PM   #8
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Again, EA has claimed that rubber band AI is not in Madden. Repeatedly. They are the only people who would know 100% for sure if it was there. If you can’t take their word for it, I don’t know what to tell you.

As a counter example - in Madden 21 on PS4, because receivers got in and out of their route stems so much faster than pass rushers could ever beat blockers, I was capable of literally naming my score on All Madden difficulty against the CPU as long as I had a good QB and one wide receiver with the Outside Apprentice ability. If there were rubberbanding in Madden, we can agree it certainly would have kicked in before I went up 35-0 on a hapless CPU in the first quarter, and absolutely before I finished a game 100-7 or whatever.

I mean they're not going to admit it's in there just like no racing game admits that it's in there. I have had plenty of games where I've destroyed the computer and some where I've gotten destroyed. I have only felt this sometimes, but when I have it seems pretty obvious. Yesterday I was playing the Jets on AM and Wilson started the game 1-7 for 5yds and an INT. I easily went up 21-0. Right after that he led 3 straight TD drives and didn't miss a single throw. My autosubs, fatigue, everything is set to default. My playcalling didn't change. He just flipped a switch. Obviously that can happen in real life too, but it was pretty dramatic. I still won 42-21, but for a quarter or so there was a very obvious shift in how he was playing that brought back some very clear memories of being ahead by a full lap in a racing game only to get caught up to in about 5 seconds by some kind of nonsense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »