Home

What NCAA game best captures the triple option and all it's intricacies?

This is a discussion on What NCAA game best captures the triple option and all it's intricacies? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
What NCAA game best captures the triple option and all it's intricacies?

I'm a big fan of the triple option so thus love watching and playing as mainly Army but also Navy, the old regime Georgia Tech, sometimes Air Force. Nothing was better to me than Malcolm Perry at Navy. He should have won the Heisman. Also really enjoy watching Christian Anderson, Jakobi Buchanen and Tyrell Robinson at Army.

Curious as everyone's opinion as to what game captured the intricacies of the triple option best. Which game did it feel best, most realistic as well as just most enjoyable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #2
Rookie

FF11Football's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What NCAA game best captures the triple option and all it's intricacies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrudey32
I'm a big fan of the triple option so thus love watching and playing as mainly Army but also Navy, the old regime Georgia Tech, sometimes Air Force. Nothing was better to me than Malcolm Perry at Navy. He should have won the Heisman. Also really enjoy watching Christian Anderson, Jakobi Buchanen and Tyrell Robinson at Army.

Curious as everyone's opinion as to what game captured the intricacies of the triple option best. Which game did it feel best, most realistic as well as just most enjoyable.
I think 14 is the best. It's even better if you can get the console mod and download college football revamped from Twitter. Those guys even added some new plays so it's kind of like having a combination of 15-21 with all new uniforms and stuff.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:28 AM   #3
Rookie

Mind if I ask about ps2 games? Are there sliders to make a option game more realistic.. some success up the middle,, blocking etc?
Old 10-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #4
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Though it’s one of my least favorite editions of the NCAA series, I stand behind NCAA 14 having the best triple option gameplay and it isn’t even close. Whether it’s because the Infinity engine makes for more “physics-based” gameplay rather than “animation-based” like its predecessors, or simply because the O-line holds blocks a lot better, reads and gaps can be approached much more strategically.

In earlier PS3/360 gen games, it was much more difficult to set up for the “pitch” read before the defense had already broken through for a big loss. And in the PS2/XBox gen, you were basically just handing off to the B-back if you thought he could get yards up the middle, without even needing to read the edge defender.

Running Flexbone and Wingbone is the only way I’ll play ‘14 nowadays just because it’s the biggest challenge that game offers. I wouldn’t give any other game a second thought if you want to run the most realistic triple option attack you can.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
Rookie

VTWiseGuy's Arena

14 hands down!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Thanks for the input, fellas.

I honestly kinda prefer the old PS2 NCAA games but I haven't really dove into 14 super heavy as of yet. Just got it. 06/07/09/10/11 on PS2 are all really good and I just eat that presentation and look up and love those games. But kinda new to all this so not sure how it handles triple option.

Sounds like 14 is a consensus winner though.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #7
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrudey32
Thanks for the input, fellas.

I honestly kinda prefer the old PS2 NCAA games but I haven't really dove into 14 super heavy as of yet. Just got it. 06/07/09/10/11 on PS2 are all really good and I just eat that presentation and look up and love those games. But kinda new to all this so not sure how it handles triple option.

Sounds like 14 is a consensus winner though.
Yeah, the PS2 Gen is where it’s at when you’re talking quality of games, for sure. And maybe I need to play with the Triple on the PS2 a little more to get it down and increase the fun factor. Just speaking in terms of real life strategy, though, I think you’ll like ‘14!
Old 10-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #8
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

It is funny that you list all of those games except 08. With how popular Madden 08 on the PS2/Xbox classic/PC is, NCAA 08 is the perfect companion.

I have been working on a slider set and naming players in 08.

Yes, NCAA 14 is the king, and it is great to import rosters into Madden 25. However, keep enjoying PS2 era NCAA. I like it better than the madden games. EA's football engine feels like a better fit for the college game than the professional game, and I feel the NCAA team always had more passion for their games. They put way more effort into implementing and improving features, as well as pioneering things which would take years to import into Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »