Home

What do you want from the upcoming CFB game that hasn't been major focus in the past

This is a discussion on What do you want from the upcoming CFB game that hasn't been major focus in the past within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
What do you want from the upcoming CFB game that hasn't been major focus in the past

That's a long thread title, but I think it asks a clear question. What is an area of focus that you feel was never fleshed out enough or maybe even was never even in the past games that you would love to see in the new CFB game coming in a 18-20 months?

Something I feel not many sports games have ever really focused on is the importance of not only having good players, but having good coaches and winning the game on Sunday through Friday.

NBA 2k has definitely made staffs more important, but practices are still not a big focus.

Madden got thr weekly gameplan feature this year in franchise mode along with some coaching positions that makes you spend 2 extra minutes before games to prepare for your next game.

I'd like to see something much more in depth than that. I do really enjoy the game planning in Madden. It makes a difference and the halftime adjustments with it as well are welcome and do have a noticeable impact on the game which is great.

I still wish there was a big emphasis on having good coaching and having good preparation. I feel these are two aspects of college football especially that really dictate if a program will have success or not.

Look, recruiting is a major part of college football, but as Miami, USC, Texas, etc. have shown simply being great on paper doesn't mean you'll even be decent on the field. On the flip side, Boise State, App State, Wake Forest, etc. have shown that inferior talent doesn't mean an inferior team.

I'd love to see the coaching staffs really matter. I'd love to see the game have all 10 on field coaching slots available. I'd love to see these coaches have real impacts on the recruiting and development of players. I'd love to see it have an impact on game planning, adjusting in game, play calling, etc.

I want to see poor coaches have teams that never play to their ratings. I want to see coaches that always have their teams playing about their ability.

I want to see coaches that are stubborn and never adjust in game. I want to see elite coaches that always adjust before you even adjust so that they're always 1 step ahead.

I want to setup how my team preps during the week, during the offseason, etc. and have real tangible effects on the team. Don't give me 3 simple options like the Madden gameplan system. Let me make a mistake and not have my team be physical enough in spring and fall camp and get into the season and see my team can't tackle with any consistency. Let me make a mistake and not rep certain play types enough leading to my freshman WR running the wrong routes.

If all of this could be added to the game, it would need to not be black and white like all else EA. I don't want to see a coach has a 4 out of 5 development ability and instantly know he is better than a 3 out of 5 coach in that skill.

I want to click on a coach's card and have descriptions.

"Coach Hawkins has a reputation for developing pocket passing QBs well.

Coach Hawkins is not known as being great at adjusting in game.

Coach Hawkins won't win any recruiting awards."

Have these descriptions have a little wiggle room to them. Don't make every coach have the same ability in a certain area if they have the same description. Leave all the hard numbers behind the scenes, but make it possible that two guys described as great recruiters are still two different levels of quality as recruiters. Make it so two coaches described as average developers still develop at different rates.

Also make it so the effects of your prep type are not always known. Leave a lot of the numbers behind the scenes, and keep it dynamic. 3 hours of film session shouldn't give the same buff every single week for every single player.

Give a detailed breakdown telling you what each prep does for your team and leave it at that. If I never practice tackling one time all spring and all fall, don't tell me everyone has -25 tackling. Do it on the backend, tell me in the recap that I didn't practice it and may see effects, then when I play the game and have 24 missed tackles I'll see I goofed.

Keeping it on the backend and dynamic helps make it so not everyone runs a meta preparation plan each week/spring/fall. I want users AND the CPU to all develop their own ways to prep their teams so they can get real identities. Also make it so some assistants will be influenced by the coaches they've been under and may tune their preparation plans to be more like a successful coach they were under.

Make some coaches stubborn and never adjust and then get fired 3 years later. Make some coaches see they must change their ways and they do and right the ship.

And lastly, make it all able to be toggled on, off, or automated so that those who hate playing in the menus can completely ignore any of this if they want. I know your average 12 year old won't care to take 30 minutes to an hour to setup their spring program schedule. They'll just want to play their bowl game, recruit, and be in the next season within 5 minutes.

Other people like myself want literally set up the schedule day by day, even block by block in each day, all spring, summer, and fall even if it means it takes me 3 hours to get to the next season. I want it to feel like my program and like my plans actually have an impact on the field come gameday. I want to know my preparation decisions can cause me to be upset one week if I don't pay attention to it. I want to know I can make my guys be physical all spring and fall camp leading to me having 4 guys out for the year before opening week, but I never have to worry about missed tackles or physicality in the trenches.

I want to analyze my roster, see my likely starting QB is a freshman, and know I must tune my offseason to make sure he is up to speed with the playbook.

You give me this and I'll give you whatever dollar figure you ask for EA.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2021, 07:33 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: What do you want from the upcoming CFB game that hasn't been a major focus in the

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I'd love to see the coaching staffs really matter. I'd love to see the game have all 10 on field coaching slots available. I'd love to see these coaches have real impacts on the recruiting and development of players. I'd love to see it have an impact on game planning, adjusting in game, play calling, etc.

I'm with this, but also want to see the game evaluate the coaches correctly. In my current dynasty, I started at Charlotte (College Football Revamped mod) as the DC and was later hired by Temple in that same role. I had a game where the Temple QB threw TWO pick 6's and another INT where the opponent got the ball at the Temple 27. On defense I had a pick 6 and scoop and score. Temple lost 28-24 and the OC's job security increased while mine decreased. The reason is because the NCAA 14 evaluation is based on wins (Temple lost) and Points Scored or Points Allowed. My 14 defensive points were awarded to the OC and the 14 points my offense allowed (it was 21 in my opinion, but I'd accept 14) counted against me. I think this is why I will lose my OC every year once becoming a head coach while keeping my DC for several seasons.

The added depth with better performance analysis would make your suggestion an awesome feature.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: What do you want from the upcoming CFB game that hasn't been a major focus in the

I'd like to see a true coach mode and CPU vs CPU mode that generates realistic stats and results that are commensurate for the talent level of the teams. I like to play the game realistically, without human intervention controlling the players. I know for some it's a lot of fun to take manual control of Akron's players and beat Alabama, or win the national championship with Kansas in your second year, but I have no interest in doing that.

So for those of us who want to play the game as more of a management simulation (like OOTP baseball), I hope there will be an opportunity to recruit, hire assistants, manage game plans and depth charts, etc., and be able to watch these games play out with realistic results.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
MVP

Teambuilder or something similar so I can design my own uniforms, stadium and logos and create my own school.

I use coach mode and I thought 14 was a great game on the field although with room for improvement. I expect that will happen with the ps5/next gen version.

There is enormous room to add things to the off field game. Money from conferences and attendance. What to spend the money on - training facilities, coach offices, luxury suites, blue collar seats, concessions, increasing capacity, type of field surface and many more.

Also in recruiting and trying to keep backups happy so they don't transfer. NCAA 14 was a big step in the right direction for recruiting but there is a lot of room there.

I'm greatly anticipating this game to see what the developers will do and I expect they are working on a lot of those things to make the college game what it is IRL. Far different from the NFL off the field.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
Rookie

More Hybrid Positions (ex: H Back, Edge Rusher, Tailback/Slot combo) and with that more customized player progression for that. In NCAA 14 RB only truly progress at running, why can’t I set a player to work on receiving too?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #6
Rookie

What do you want from the upcoming CFB game that hasn't been a major focus in the pas

More creation stuff built in. Create a school, stadium, jersey, helmet, etc. And I would also like FCS teams added. Play creation too.

I also prefer the old kicking mechanics in NCAA 14 way more than the modern maddens.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-18-2021, 04:37 PM   #7
Rookie

dirk1970's Arena

Wouldn't it be great to have it one in all? One football game and you could play and act in all possible roles - as a player starting in highschool and making it to the SB. As a coach starting as a highschool coach, who hopes that the next coaching carrousel at the end of the season will give him the opportunity to work as a position coach > coordinator > HC at college level and later at NFL level.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #8
Rookie

VTWiseGuy's Arena

I was getting ready to do the CFB revamped and they still don’t have the playoffs after all the custom updates for NCAA 14. I would like to see RPO plays., updated play editor, custom playbooks, spring training camp in dynasty that would improve your players before each season and position battles. A global playbook which was in ncaa at one time. Also keep the playoff system or/and make where we can change the amount of teams that can be in the playoffs 4, 8, 12, 16 20 or top 25 teams only. All these features was in NCAA football at one time or another. Also add the transfer portal and transfer requests!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »