Home

Defending Guide for FIFA 22

This is a discussion on Defending Guide for FIFA 22 within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
Rookie

ImmortalMindz's Arena

OVR: 0
Defending Guide for FIFA 22

**Edit: This is specific to new gen gameplay. Old gen might be different.

Below is a link to a defending guide on reddit that is pretty much my approach that allowed me to really shoot up the divisions in FUT and also made playing against the CPU on Ultimate/Legendary more bearable. I've seen many express frustration with defending - with good reason because we're basically set up to fail with the defensive system in FIFA - but there is a right way to defend in FIFA these days that's quite different from in the past and if you're not using your teammates to help predict and prevent the next move (i.e. manual defending) you're not going to succeed at the higher levels. Control only one player at a time at your own peril.

Below is basically how top defenders in FUT play. Only thing that's different for me when playing single player is that because the CPU plays with far less aggression than most online and because they tend to play more of a passing game while most online are playing into the counter attack meta, when playing the CPU the big difference for me is that I play with more aggression since the CPU is less likely to try to exploit pace like online.

I'd also add that formations and tactics and instructions are more important than ever because of all the space (at default settings at least) and CPU's proficiency at playing a passing game.

Anyone else have tips that leads to solid defending in FIFA 22?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FIFA/commen...fifa_22_guide/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2021, 12:43 AM   #2
Just started!

Re: Defending Guide for FIFA 22

Considering this is the defending guide post, I figured I'd create this post here. FIFA newbie here with some questions for defense.

My first FIFA since I was a kid ended up being FIFA 21. I've also never been much of a football fan until a couple of years ago so I'm still learning the game as well. Last year and this year, I've reached a point where World-Class was too easy and Legendary sometimes felt like a good challenge or unbeatable, so I'm sticking to Legendary and attempting to improve.

However, I'm having some terrible struggles on defense in my Career Mode Save. Granted, I enjoy simulation-style playing so I don't expect, nor would I enjoy winning every game with a clean sheet as it just isn't realistic.

I just find that I'm conceding a ton. I'm also using sliders from OS but I don't think my talent level is appropriate yet for consistency at this level, so I'm hoping for some advice.

The main problem for me is that I feel like my defenders are always too passive. I know the main rule of thumb is cutting off passing lanes as a USER defender, but I feel like I always see the CPU run straight at my own CPU CBs and FBs and they just don't react. It feels like the CPU has so much space in the box at all times, and in midfield. I've played around with tactics but cannot figure anything out. YouTube guides really only focus on FUT and user versus user so that didn't really make much of a difference. So, my first main question is:

Which tactics, instructions, formations, etc. are considered the most effective against the CPU?

Additionally, and this could be part of the answer to my first question, but...

Is there some way I can set my CPU defenders to play more aggressively?

Lastly, I'll end with this. If there is anyone who plays on Legendary and streams, I would love to see it so I can try to get an idea of how one should play defensively on this difficulty level. I feel like seeing an example of that would be super helpful. I just give up a lot of goals that start with the CPU on the wing and slowly passing it towards the middle of the pitch and finding that inevitable gap of space in the box between my CBs where nobody is ever marking him and just sitting back and waiting. And I know this isn't a game or slidier issue. This is a me problem with my skill level so I'm trying to correct that.

Basically, I will graciously accept any advice and I plan on reading through this forum and everything else that has been posted already. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-24-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
CSL
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybesteffort765
Considering this is the defending guide post, I figured I'd create this post here. FIFA newbie here with some questions for defense.

My first FIFA since I was a kid ended up being FIFA 21. I've also never been much of a football fan until a couple of years ago so I'm still learning the game as well. Last year and this year, I've reached a point where World-Class was too easy and Legendary sometimes felt like a good challenge or unbeatable, so I'm sticking to Legendary and attempting to improve.

However, I'm having some terrible struggles on defense in my Career Mode Save. Granted, I enjoy simulation-style playing so I don't expect, nor would I enjoy winning every game with a clean sheet as it just isn't realistic.

I just find that I'm conceding a ton. I'm also using sliders from OS but I don't think my talent level is appropriate yet for consistency at this level, so I'm hoping for some advice.

The main problem for me is that I feel like my defenders are always too passive. I know the main rule of thumb is cutting off passing lanes as a USER defender, but I feel like I always see the CPU run straight at my own CPU CBs and FBs and they just don't react. It feels like the CPU has so much space in the box at all times, and in midfield. I've played around with tactics but cannot figure anything out. YouTube guides really only focus on FUT and user versus user so that didn't really make much of a difference. So, my first main question is:

Which tactics, instructions, formations, etc. are considered the most effective against the CPU?

Additionally, and this could be part of the answer to my first question, but...

Is there some way I can set my CPU defenders to play more aggressively?

Lastly, I'll end with this. If there is anyone who plays on Legendary and streams, I would love to see it so I can try to get an idea of how one should play defensively on this difficulty level. I feel like seeing an example of that would be super helpful. I just give up a lot of goals that start with the CPU on the wing and slowly passing it towards the middle of the pitch and finding that inevitable gap of space in the box between my CBs where nobody is ever marking him and just sitting back and waiting. And I know this isn't a game or slidier issue. This is a me problem with my skill level so I'm trying to correct that.

Basically, I will graciously accept any advice and I plan on reading through this forum and everything else that has been posted already. Thanks in advance!
I haven't had a look at the guide yet but just to answer a small part of this, namely the part where you mention "user defender to cut off the passing lanes", you should avoid controlling your defenders at all when the CPU is attacking unless you absolutely have to. Always try and control your central midfielders to drop back, cut passing lanes, close down angles etc and use teammate contain because it's the most useful it's been in years on 22 (don't over do it because you'll drag players out of position if you go overboard) and leave the CPU to maintain the shape of your defence because it's quite easy to take control of one of your centre backs and drag him out and leave space/gaps for the CPU to punish you. Stay away from the sprint button if you can and use strafe a lot.

I also tend to drop my back four/five deeper than the default formations do so there's a lot less room in behind my defenders. Sometimes on legendary and ultimate the CPU is going to play ridiculous psychic one touch tiki taka that you'll just be able to do next to nothing about whether you're playing against Bayern or Bristol City because it's FIFA and that's the silly nonsense it's always done and player switching feels almost broken at times but for the most part, keep calm, keep control of your midfielders and close down angles and passing lanes and you should be alright eventually.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
Rookie

ImmortalMindz's Arena

Unfortunately, you're speaking to the biggest flaw with the game and there is no satisfactory solution - FIFA is an imbalanced version of football that for the sake of excitement makes chance creation too easy, often doesn't require proper midfield play, and sets us up to fail in defense.

Playing at default at least, attacking play is very assisted while one mistake in defense on the higher difficulty levels will cost you. It's actually not different than multiplayer in that sense.

To your first question though, there is (for the most part) no most effective setups against the CPU. Totally depends on the opposition setup (which is good) and the pre-match boosts the CPU gets (which is bad). Also, many don't realize this but a high level player will almost always benefit from keeping most if not all tactics, instructions, etc. as close to default as possible and controlling everything manually.

That said, there's a reason the three CAM version of the 4231 with a narrow width (around 35-40) has become the meta online of late - there's way too much space right now, so anything you can do to compress things is good. It's been my go to in CM this year, I rarely feel solid playing anything else, but I'm an aggressive defender and it does depend on the opposition. 352 also remains very popular, but some formations have big advantages over it.

If you need to score, the more aggressive tactics are one of the few exploits we have against the CPU, since the AI can't really handle all out attacking play (it's why if you don't adjust, the CPU scores a ton of late winners; this is what many refer to as scripting but it can be combated). Just be aware that countering is still the best way to score, so when going all out attack it's easy to concede to a CPU counter if you don't keep enough players back.

Personally, I have best results with slow buildup tactics and balanced defensive, though I'm very aggressive with manually defending and initiating attacking runs and things like player lock, so I only use settings like long ball or constant press in certain situations.

Answer to your second question is yes and no. If you want to play aggressive in defense, that's now on you to control. Usually when someone complains about passive defenders - totally valid criticism - it often does mean they're not focusing on predicting the CPU's next move, which is how you have to defend. If you try to beat the CPU by marking and tackling and relying on teammates to be aggressive and close space, you've no chance on the higher levels. It's all about reading the game and predicting the next move so you can then be aggressive. On Ultimate it's more like you need to predict two passes away.

Key to this is mastering when to use second man press to put pressure on the ball carrier while you swap between teammates moving them into better positions and allowing them to be more aggressive. The best of the best at FIFA are able to suffocate and swarm the opposition, but it's mostly manual now and on you. Once you get into a flow, it can be really rewarding. Obviously constant pressure and press after possession (not a big fan of press after bad touch setting this year) will lead to more aggression but you only want to do this against inferior opposition and also not when the CPU is playing with big boosts.

But you can set things up to play more aggressive, though with tradeoffs. Aggressive interceptions is one instruction for example. Step up on defenders is another, though often this needs to be paired with conservative interceptions or else they'll try to get in front of the attacker too often and you'll get screwed. Obviously come back on defense is key for attackers if you need them to defend.

Work rates and stats have never been more important and it's why it sucks so much more when defending with lower league teams. I try to essentially have high defensive work rates on all players, including attackers if I"m going to press, but gotta be aware of stamina stats. Work rates and defensive awareness (and aggression) stats are key, especially for those players you'll typically control with second man press.

If your players are standing off too much, make sure you don't have a formation mismatch in midfield or increase depth. Meanwhile 4231 narrow like irl is typically best for a pressing game. Make sure you're not trying to play aggressive without the proper formation, instruction, and tactics. 4231 wide is much better for defending deep and countering.

With the new tactical system and all the extra spacing, it's not easy. Haven't played with the new tuning update or much with the last patch, so all this could go out the window with changes from EA. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2021, 04:44 PM   #5
Rookie

to play against the cpu, do you advise to edit the tactics of the teams?
I hardly ever touch the tactics and formations
Are the default tactics poorly implemented?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2021, 07:43 AM   #6
Rookie

ImmortalMindz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeg7875
to play against the cpu, do you advise to edit the tactics of the teams?
I hardly ever touch the tactics and formations
Are the default tactics poorly implemented?
Edit which teams? If you mean edit CPU team tactics, then yes that's absolutely ideal but it's a pain and time consuming and you lose your work with updates.

But yes, for best results you want to customize tactics. Some default tactics are fairly true to how the teams play irl but don't work well in FIFA. For example I think it's Liverpool that has fullbacks attacking on all but the most ultra defensive setting, so they can be easy to score against.

More importantly is that because of the new tactical system and the extra spacing with the patches, not too mention FIFA's rigid zonal system, you want to have multiple formations in your team sheets.Tactics and formations mean so much now a formation/team sheet mismatch with your opponent can make the difference between losing and winning; often those games that feel unwinnable or too easy are because of these mismatches.

This at least is my experience on Ultimate. If playing on World Class or below, it's probably far less important and YMMV. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2022, 05:51 AM   #7
Rookie

Hustler79's Arena

Havent bought fifa 22 nor 21 for the sole.reason of legacy defending being replaced by this " tactical " crap where defenders sag off and turn pacifists by totally losing they're aggressiveness. .
This is the reason i wont pay a dime for this game...i remember legacy in 20 was only offline but whenever you play any online mode youre forced to play tactical defense.

Tactical defense isn't a thing i want to master since its not my playing style i like to pressure the ball and force turnovers

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »