Home

The annual OS Christmas thread 2021

This is a discussion on The annual OS Christmas thread 2021 within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #1
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

OVR: 29
The annual OS Christmas thread 2021

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends. This year I decided to wait until today to start this OS tradition. It was hard to not start earlier, however I made it through to today.

This time last year, we are in a very different place than we are right now. Though we have not completely made it through this horrible pandemic, hopefully we are about to be clear of it. Up hear in Canada we start getting the vaccine into the arms of children 5 and up. So hopefully this will help us get closer to the finish line. I pray and hope all of you have not been touched by this virus and the same goes for your families. If you have lost a loved one, I pray your heart finds peace and I'm so very sorry for you and your family.

So here we are, it is Thanksgiving day for most of you and that you all have a day of football ahead of you. As I've been forcible retired for the past 9 years, I will be joining you watching football today, especially The Bill's game tonigh. I hope they can get their stuff together. I know for many Thanksgiving is the official kick off to Christmas. Up here our Thanksgiving is in October, so that helps explain why I'm already in the Christmas mood before my American friends.

Hopefully this will be a "normal" Christmas for all of us, but let me remind you to start your Christmas shopping now if you haven't because if you believe the news, the supply chains may leave some shelves empty this year. This goes for food and toys. So get out their and start your shopping if you haven't. With many families having a hard time this year, my wife and I are "buying Christmas" for a family in need. I believe we are doing it through her childhood church, now that we have moved back to her old home town.

As I mentioned we moved this year into a new build home in the city my wife grew up in. We are living in Peterborough for my Canadian friends. It's about an hour and a half away from downtown Toronto. I absolutely love it here. Very little crime and the traffic is fantastic.

I'm extremely excited for our first Christmas in our new home. We have already started our decorating. We have the outdoor lights and garland up and we have our 3 indoor trees are up and most of the house is decorated. We have a bit more to do, so when we are finished I will post some pictures.

As always this thread is to share our different traditions, discuss our favourite Christmas movies (The Die Hard movies are not Christmas movies. They are movies that just happen to occur during Christmas), compare our favourite Christmas food dishes, what you are planning to get those in your life, and any other Christmas topic you come up with.

I hope this thread will bring up some happy thoughts for you and I hope Christmas finds you well this year. I'm looking forward to talking with the usual group of people that stop by the thread every year and hopefully many new posters that have never visited this thread in the previous years.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Last edited by mike24forever; 11-26-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2021, 06:51 AM   #2
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: The annual OS Christmas thread 2021

Merry early Christmas to everyone! Always nice to see Mike start up the festivities, kind of a tradition in itself.

This will be the first year in our first, new home. So my wife is going to go nuts with decorations — she’s already been planning the scheme and ideas. It’s also my son’s 6th Christmas (5 years old) and he’s starting to get the magic of Santa and Christmas and the holidays, which is awesome because it rubs off on us. We’ve never had to struggle for gifts or food during the holidays, thankfully, but now that we’re both making good incomes with recent new jobs, we can’t wait to go hard with making it a Christmas to remember.

We usually spend Christmas Eve at my Dad’s, and the plan is for Christmas Day to just be the three of us, but I suspect we’ll rope ourselves in to hosting some family at some point of the day. No complaints here though, eating, drinking, and being merry are my specialties.

The wife set a date with some of her girlfriends to do Christmas cookies all day coming up... not sure if I wanna check out with the boys or stay and munch. I miss those days growing up when we brought out all the sprinkles and decoratives and did all kinds of cookies. We’ll see. Lol

Looking forward to getting in the spirit soon now that we’re done with Thanksgiving and just enjoying the days as we start the countdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 11-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #3
Heyoka.

EUBlink's Arena

OVR: 8

My mom was the one in our family that always celebrated Christmas so much more than anyone else in our family, close or extended, and made it so much fun for everyone else, whether it was seeing who could decorate the most/earliest or the numerous days during December that we would set aside and all come together for our traditional Christmas baking. She made it all so great to look forward to, and we honestly began quietly counting down to the season on December 26th every year.

This will be our second Christmas without her after an extremely short battle with colon cancer took her away from us all on January 30th 2020.

My boys are now three and four years old, and my daughter is eleven. I told myself last year that we would push forward and celebrate big for my mom but it was really hard more often than not, and much easier said than done… her birthday is also on December 30th so that was a double whammy on our emotions collectively.

This year, we will be moving from Mobile back to Tuscaloosa right after Christmas because of my daughter’s medical treatment needed in Birmingham for major colon and immune system health difficulties that she is having. That being said, this Christmas will be our last to celebrate in our home here in Mobile/Semmes.

My wife and I are going to be doing the best we can and giving our utmost efforts to make the brightest memories this Christmas and I’m much more excited to give the kids free reign in choosing their own decorations and helping decorate the house. I’m confident that this year will be great for all of us. I’m sorry for the gloominess of this response/post, but it’s our real life, or has been up to now.

I hope you all have an excellent, exciting Christmas full of nostalgic excitement, joy and an abundance of happy memories!
Old 11-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #4
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

@EUBlink, I'm so very sorry for your loss and I pray this year the Christmas Spirit will find you in a better place. I would put everything I'm worth that from what you've said about your mom, she would want you to celebrate the season and remember her and her love for the season. Stay strong and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:29 PM   #5
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

@slick, Merry Christmas my friend and thank you for saying this thread is part of Christmas tradition in of itself. That is why I continue to do it. I'm 48 with 2 kids and a new house, much like yourself, so I'm fairly busy, yet I keep doing it because it's part of my own Christmas tradition. I hope everything is going well with your new place. We have issues with a few things, the builder will need to get their but in gear to fix what needs to be fixed, however with the pandemic things take a bit longer to get delivered and built.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2021, 11:12 PM   #6
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

Mike, I've been here since '07 and somehow managed to never notice these Christmas threads. Thanks for starting them.

Growing up, my family celebrated Thanksgiving far more than Christmas and I even found myself being a bit of a "scrooge" about Christmas because of how unabashedly materialistic some people were about it. In 3rd grade I had a new "step family", and while the grandmother was very loving and well meaning, I have now realized I got really turned off by 3 hours of 30 people opening presents with the whole attitude of "me me me" and "noping out" as soon as they got their presents, not caring about anyone else. It was amazing that she spent $75 on every person, and I feel bad that I didn't appreciate her more.

As an adult, I grew to appreciate Christmas so much more, for three reasons:
  1. My Christian faith has grown exponentially, so the religious meaning of the holiday is tremendous to me and my family.
  2. I get to make new family traditions with my family and it's been a very special time for myself, my wife, and our kids.
  3. I love how Christmas lights brighten up the neighborhood and look beautiful. We never had Christmas lights growing up (some legalistic religious nonsense reasons) and starting about 10 years ago, I fell in love with simply decorating our house with lights.

Our only Christmas tradition is one I cherish: every Christmas Eve we turned our couch (back when we had a giant sectional) or our living room or bonus room into a giant bed, bringing in blankets and mattresses. We all snuggle up and watch animated movies and have a slumber party together, then wake up together on Christmas morning, clean the house, and enjoy Christmas Day.

Merry Christmas to all of you. I love OS and am grateful for this website.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.

Last edited by studbucket; 11-29-2021 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #7
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
Mike, I've been here since '07 and somehow managed to never notice these Christmas threads. Thanks for starting them.

Growing up, my family celebrated Thanksgiving far more than Christmas and I even found myself being a bit of a "scrooge" about Christmas because of how unabashedly materialistic some people were about it. In 3rd grade I had a new "step family", and while the grandmother was very loving and well meaning, I have now realized I got really turned off by 3 hours of 30 people opening presents with the whole attitude of "me me me" and "noping out" as soon as they got their presents, not caring about anyone else. It was amazing that she spent $75 on every person, and I feel bad that I didn't appreciate her more.

As an adult, I grew to appreciate Christmas so much more, for three reasons:
  1. My Christian faith has grown exponentially, so the religious meaning of the holiday is tremendous to me and my family.
  2. I get to make new family traditions with my family and it's been a very special time for myself, my wife, and our kids.
  3. I love how Christmas lights brighten up the neighborhood and look beautiful. We never had Christmas lights growing up (some legalistic religious nonsense reasons) and starting about 10 years ago, I fell in love with simply decorating our house with lights.

Our only Christmas tradition is one I cherish: every Christmas Eve we turned our couch (back when we had a giant sectional) or our living room or bonus room into a giant bed, bringing in blankets and mattresses. We all snuggle up and watch animated movies and have a slumber party together, then wake up together on Christmas morning, clean the house, and enjoy Christmas Day.

Merry Christmas to all of you. I love OS and am grateful for this website.
Welcome to our little Christmas corner. It is a little slower around here than previous years. I like the idea of sharing our traditions, getting gift ideas and most importantly sharing the holiday with those we have come to know at OS over the years. A lot of us have seen many changes in our lives, from old and new relationships starting and ending, getting married, buyng new homes and having kids, etc.

For me, I have always loved Christmas. I actually belong to a Christmas website where we celebrate milestones throughout the year as we countdown to the big day. I love Christmas even more now that my wife and I have two children of our own. Giving gifts is great and all, but its the joy i get seeing their excitement build as we get closer to Christmas. You truly see the magic of Christmas in the face of a child. I love it all, from the cheesy movies on the Hallmark Channel, Christmas music on the radio, shopping and buying gifts for my family and spending time with all of my loved ones. It truly is a magical time of the year.

We have been teaching the meaning of Christmas to our daughter Mary since she is 5 years old. Our son Christian is only 2 and a half. He's a lovely moving holy terror who gives the best hugs for a little guy, however he doesn't quite understand what is happening, except for getting gifts from Santa. We use the Nativity to teach them about "baby Jesus" and what he means to many people all over the world.

I hope more of the regulars stop in like previous years and that many other guys like yourself who stumble across this thread.

Welcome again and Merry Christmas!

Last edited by mike24forever; 12-02-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:44 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 13

Hey, you held out until Thanksgiving, the unofficial start to the Christmas season in the US (!)

It's still a bit of a weird one, since things aren't yet quite back to 'normal' anywhere, but everyone's doing the best they can. I want to just echo mike and everyone else's best wishes to all of your families and hope you are all well.

I always look forward to the downtime at year's end and while I don't have anything 'special' planned, just winding down and taking it easy is its own reward. I hope you guys are also able to dial it down and spend time with your loved ones or whoever you choose to in the waning weeks of the year. Like most of you here, I'm way past the gift aspect of the holidays (for myself anyway) but mostly looking forward to a nice drink on Christmas eve and a relaxing time leading into the new year.

Happy holidays, everyone!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »