Home

Coach win glitch in CFM after 250 wins Madden 22

This is a discussion on Coach win glitch in CFM after 250 wins Madden 22 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2021, 03:29 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Coach win glitch in CFM after 250 wins Madden 22

I'm not sure if this is something that's been going on for years because I haven't played Madden much in years, however I'm seeing this in my offline franchise right now. It's pretty bad that for whatever reason this game can't go past 250 wins and that I can't see a year by year record for coaches but this is pretty bad. As you can see it shows 8 wins but a .641 win percentage. I had to do the math to figure out exactly how many wins he really has. I also realize this will happen to any coach who sticks around long enough. Has anyone else noticed this and how many years has this been going on?20211207_032744.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2021, 04:21 AM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Coach win glitch in CFM after 250 wins Madden 22

This is an overflow error, which is uncommon (but not rare) in the statistics tables in Madden NFL.

Based on the information provided, Tiburon uses an unsigned byte to store the number of wins for a coach. An unsigned byte is represented in computer memory with eight bits; a bit is either 0 or 1. The minimum value of an unsigned byte is 0 (represented in binary as 00000000) and the maximum value of an unsigned byte is 255 (represented in binary as 11111111).

Adding 1 to an unsigned byte holding 255 will cause an overflow error. Adding 1 to 11111111 causes all eight bits to roll over to 0, and since there is no ninth bit to carry to (which would then represent 256), the carry value is lost the value stored in memory is instead 00000000, which as previously stated represents zero. From there the game adds to the value as if it were zero. You actually have 264 total wins.

Madden still using small primitives such as ushorts to hold statistics is likely a holdover from when the game was built on consoles with extreme RAM limitations (unclear which generation, though; the Sony Playstation only had 2 MB RAM, the Nintendo 64 bested it with 4 MB RAM, and the Sega Genesis only had a paltry 64 KB RAM). To fix this error, Tiburon must upgrade the backing data type for coach wins to a primitive which can store a greater maximum value, such as an unsigned short (max value: 65535) or an unsigned integer (maximum value: 4294967295).

Overflow errors in Madden are easy to spot when you exceed 127 interception return yards or 127 fumble return yards with a single player in a single game; the value instead rolls over to -128, since the backing data type is a signed byte (as opposed to an unsigned byte which cannot hold a negative value).
Old 12-07-2021, 11:44 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This is an overflow error, which is uncommon (but not rare) in the statistics tables in Madden NFL.

Based on the information provided, Tiburon uses an unsigned byte to store the number of wins for a coach. An unsigned byte is represented in computer memory with eight bits; a bit is either 0 or 1. The minimum value of an unsigned byte is 0 (represented in binary as 00000000) and the maximum value of an unsigned byte is 255 (represented in binary as 11111111).

Adding 1 to an unsigned byte holding 255 will cause an overflow error. Adding 1 to 11111111 causes all eight bits to roll over to 0, and since there is no ninth bit to carry to (which would then represent 256), the carry value is lost the value stored in memory is instead 00000000, which as previously stated represents zero. From there the game adds to the value as if it were zero. You actually have 264 total wins.

Madden still using small primitives such as ushorts to hold statistics is likely a holdover from when the game was built on consoles with extreme RAM limitations (unclear which generation, though; the Sony Playstation only had 2 MB RAM, the Nintendo 64 bested it with 4 MB RAM, and the Sega Genesis only had a paltry 64 KB RAM). To fix this error, Tiburon must upgrade the backing data type for coach wins to a primitive which can store a greater maximum value, such as an unsigned short (max value: 65535) or an unsigned integer (maximum value: 4294967295).

Overflow errors in Madden are easy to spot when you exceed 127 interception return yards or 127 fumble return yards with a single player in a single game; the value instead rolls over to -128, since the backing data type is a signed byte (as opposed to an unsigned byte which cannot hold a negative value).
Thanks for the answer, at least now I know why that happened.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-08-2021, 01:21 AM   #4
BTW
Rookie

This glitch was in last year's version as well. Kind of a bummer for people that actually play their franchises for a really long time.

B
Old 12-08-2021, 03:43 AM   #5
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

Funnily enough, 255 was the max score any one side could put up in a game. Any TDs after 255 wouldn't show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2021, 02:10 PM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTW
This glitch was in last year's version as well. Kind of a bummer for people that actually play their franchises for a really long time.

B

This sort of bug has likely appeared in every Madden game you’ve ever played. I can remember seeing similar overflow bugs in the PS2 Madden games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »