Home

Is there a way I can make Rodman (AI off ball) posted under rim to grab Off.Rebounds?

This is a discussion on Is there a way I can make Rodman (AI off ball) posted under rim to grab Off.Rebounds? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Is there a way I can make Rodman (AI off ball) posted under rim to grab Off.Rebounds?

As my classic Bulls (Rodman era), using the ‘96 Bulls coach playbook, I find Rodman plays closer to a modern power forward loitering at the perimeter. Therefore he doesn’t get nearly as many offensive rebounds as he should. Is there a way to program him to just stand under the rim on offense and attack for rebounds?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2021, 11:50 AM   #2
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Is there a way I can make Rodman (AI off ball) posted under rim to grab Off.Rebou

Run the 3 Out, 2 in freelance
Old 12-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Is there a way I can make Rodman (AI off ball) posted under rim to grab Off.Rebou

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
The triangle freelance should work too. The 4 and 5 rarely go pass the nail in any situation. Also sometime a player can dash over little guys when they try to box them out.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

In addition to what Jeebs and 24th mentioned check his tendencies. The game isn't in front of me, and I never checked. I would check these ones specifically

Fastbreak cut vs spot up tend should be 0

Spot Up 3 point should be 0

Spot Up Mid should be close to 0

Honestly the only shooting tendencies that I would give any value above 0 to for Rodman on the Bulls is Shot Close and Shot Under Basket. That will have him tend to float into the lane even if you run other offenses than the Triangle.

I imagine that that is where his tendency values are now, but you never know.

Last edited by dwayne12345; 12-28-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #5
Rookie

His post-up tendency on the 90s Bulls teams is set at 0 (and it's at 15 for the all-time Bulls and Pistons). When I want to get a guy playing more high post, I lower that post-up tendency...it causes them to hang around the FT line more instead of playing as much down low. However, I'm not really sure you want Rodman posting up....you just want him around the rim. You could try jacking his post-up tendency to 99 and drop his touches tendency to 1 so they don't really try to get him the ball down there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
The triangle freelance should work too. The 4 and 5 rarely go pass the nail in any situation. Also sometime a player can dash over little guys when they try to box them out.
Awesome, thanks. I don’t have the game in front of me right now so to be sure, do you mean the coaching style (e.g triangle, balanced, etc.)? Currently I have it set to triangle. Don’t recall seeing the freelance options but maybe just can’t remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
In addition to what Jeebs and 24th mentioned check his tendencies. The game isn't in front of me, and I never checked. I would check these ones specifically

Fastbreak cut vs spot up tend should be 0

Spot Up 3 point should be 0

Spot Up Mid should be close to 0

Honestly the only shooting tendencies that I would give any value above 0 to for Rodman on the Bulls is Shot Close and Shot Under Basket. That will have him tend to float into the lane even if you run other offenses than the Triangle.

I imagine that that is where his tendency values are now, but you never know.
Awesome thanks. Will check those. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the Rodmans has correct tendencies for what I’m looking for and perhaps others don’t. I’ll give it a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo3772
His post-up tendency on the 90s Bulls teams is set at 0 (and it's at 15 for the all-time Bulls and Pistons). When I want to get a guy playing more high post, I lower that post-up tendency...it causes them to hang around the FT line more instead of playing as much down low. However, I'm not really sure you want Rodman posting up....you just want him around the rim. You could try jacking his post-up tendency to 99 and drop his touches tendency to 1 so they don't really try to get him the ball down there.
Yeah that may solve it actually. I thought of trying to let the CPU know he’s a “post up player” so they send him under the basket at least. It’s just super annoying when you got Rodman spotted up at the perimeter which is a no win situation when you know if he’s under the glass he’ll snatch everything that goes up lol.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:00 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

The easiest way to get a PF isolated down low 100% of the time is to call a post-up play (they usually start with the word "punch") for Rodman but don't throw him the ball so he'll just stay down there while the rest of your team spaces out around him.

Aside from that method--or switching to one of the 3-out freelances, which will have him sharing the paint with his team's other big man--I only know of two other ways to get a PF to setup down low:

If you call for a quick iso while in the Bulls 88 freelance it will send one of your bigs to the dunker spot on the low block (often the PF, sometimes the C; I don't know how it decides which one to put there).

Warriors freelance will also sometimes have the PF start on the low block (other times it's the C), and if he's not down there, he'll at least make himself useful on the perimeter by setting off-ball screens for your wing shooters.

And of course, putting your team's on-the-fly rebound setting (accessed by pressing right on the d-pad) to neutral will have your bigs crash for boards while your guards and SF sprint back to stop fastbreak leakers.

Quote:
Awesome, thanks. I don’t have the game in front of me right now so to be sure, do you mean the coaching style (e.g triangle, balanced, etc.)? Currently I have it set to triangle. Don’t recall seeing the freelance options but maybe just can’t remember.
You have to pause the game and go into the offensive settings menu to select your freelance offenses this year.

Last edited by jyoung; 12-28-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The easiest way to get a PF isolated down low 100% of the time is to call a post-up play (they usually start with the word "punch") for Rodman but not throw him the ball so he'll just stay down there while the rest of your team spaces out around him.

Aside from that method--or switching to one of the 3-out freelances, which will have him sharing the paint with his team's other big man--I only know of two other ways to get a PF to setup down low:

If you call for a quick iso while in the Bulls 88 freelance it will send one of your bigs to the dunker spot on the low block (often the PF, sometimes the C; I don't know how it decides which one to put there).

Warriors freelance also will sometimes have the PF start on the low block (other times it's the C), and if he's not down there, he'll at least make himself useful on the perimeter by setting off-ball screens for your wing shooters.

And of course, putting your team's on-the-fly rebound setting (accessed by pressing left on the d-pad) to neutral will have your bigs crash for boards while your guards and SF sprint back to stop fastbreak leakers.

You have to pause the game and go into the offensive settings menu to select your freelance offenses this year.
Oh got it. Good info. I don’t do manual play calling (other than fist and iso occasionally) but by setting it to those freelance offenses are you guys referring to plays that will be called manually, or instead will it replace my actual offensive strategy (set currently to triangle)? Just wanna be sure I know how to activate it (and if it’s something I need to activate manually each play) and if it needs to be activated in the settings each game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »