Home

PCSX2

This is a discussion on PCSX2 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2022, 01:20 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
PCSX2

Hey, guys. Have had an account for a long time but it won't let me use the search function so I'm asking this here:

Does anyone know the settings that eventually got rid of the grainy/sparkling field issue with all of the NCAA and Madden games?

From what I hear, PCSX2 natively fixes the issue on it's own now but in past builds the visual error had to be fixed with certain settings. Does anyone remember what those were?
Clamping would fix the issue with fans and certain textures not loading at all. Mipmapping would usually smooth the field out but that wasn't what did it alone.

Any help would be great as I'm trying to get these games running on a jailbroken PS4. Adding mipmap options removes the field grainy/flicker thing but then makes the field and all shadows very blocky. I don't exactly know what to look for to test but the PS4's PS2 Classics games are emulated by Sony and they basically use a version of PCSX2 to do it with each title. So settings can be added for each game but it can often be a game of trial & error so any info would help a ton. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2022, 12:25 PM   #2
Rookie

frankinho's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: PCSX2

Al has detailed settings listed on his site that should get you the best setup - https://playbookgamer.com/gaming-resources/
Old 02-22-2022, 06:07 PM   #3
Rookie

Appreciate the reply! Exactly what I was looking for and I'll let those that may be interested know if it works.

If you have a PS4 on 9.00 or below, it's a really good way to play an upscaled 1080p version of the game (if PC gaming isn't an option or your thing). I just need to figure out this blocky texture issue.

Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:03 PM   #4
Rookie

Limasbravo's Arena

OVR: 0

Sadly the search is disabled, but I've had luck searching two different ways.

1) Create a new thread. Put the words you want to search in the thread title. It gives you "Here are the similar threads we found:"

2) Do a google search. Put your terms in and also put "site:forums.operationsports.com" which then you can get it more specific if you want by putting in the sub forums like "site:forums.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-college-football/"
Old 02-24-2022, 05:28 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limasbravo
Sadly the search is disabled, but I've had luck searching two different ways.

1) Create a new thread. Put the words you want to search in the thread title. It gives you "Here are the similar threads we found:"

2) Do a google search. Put your terms in and also put "site:forums.operationsports.com" which then you can get it more specific if you want by putting in the sub forums like "site:forums.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-college-football/"
Great tip and thank you!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2022, 06:48 AM   #6
Rookie

Not sure if anyone cares but I have found the issue and will post my own PS4 FPKG link for NCAA 06 & 11 once I get it sorted.

The issue is bilinear filtering. It seems to be an option that is either not present or turned off once Mipmapping is added (to fix the infamous grainy field issue.

In short, it's already playable but it will be a perfect 1080p version of the games you love available to anyone with a PS4 on firmware 9.00 and below. I greatly prefer a console to PC for this kind of gaming so if anyone else cares, I'll update this thread once I get Bilinear Filtering going.
Sony doesn't detail the settings and options in their secret PS2 emulator so it's a game of trial and error to get settings running. Those of us that do this are helped by the fact that Sony basically uses a version of PCSX2 to make their PS2 Classics releases on PS3 & PS4. So we're not totally in the dark but we don't know all of the settings right off the bat.

So if you have a PS4 (any model) that you don't exactly need or want to play online all the time, don't update it past 9.00 and you can have an awesome 1080p PCSX2 quality version of NCAA on it. All native to Playstation, all running like any other game.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:45 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm confused. Are you saying you can play ncaa 06 on a ps4?
Old 02-25-2022, 06:19 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe27
I'm confused. Are you saying you can play ncaa 06 on a ps4?
Yes, if you have a PS4 on firmware 9.00 or below. A long while back those in the hacking/jailbreaking scene realized that Sony uses individual PS2 emulators for their "PS2 Classics" releases on PS3 & PS4, each bundled with the game to run on game start. To save time, Sony seems to have just used a variation on the PCSX2 core so once this was discovered some very smart people extracted those emulators and made programs to turn ANY PS2 game into a "PS2 Classic" to run on PS4 (as long as it is jailbroken).

Specifically, a PS4 on firmwares 5.05, 6.72 and 9.00 are very easy and stable so you don't have to do a ton to jailbreak it. 30 seconds after boot and you're good to play.
I've been playing NCAA11 from PS2 this way but there was always one small issue where some textures were a little blocky (stadium shadows, clouds, some of the field). I'm in the process of fixing that. When I do it's a perfect 1080p upscaling of the game like you'd get on a PC but native on PS4.

In the case of those here, you just need to download from my link, jailbreak your PS4 and install the download. It's very simple.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »