Home

Most Disappointing games

This is a discussion on Most Disappointing games within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2022, 07:35 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 8
Most Disappointing games

Disappointing doesn't mean bad, though it can.

Since we have threads about best games of current gen etc. What games were you just so unimpressed with?

The 2 that stick out to me are:

Cyberpunk 2077 - I had been following this game since the first teaser around 2013. A lot of the developer comments throughout its development cycle indicated that it would revolutionize open world games. The fact that it was set in a cyberpunk style world made it so much better too. I'll always love fantasy settings in games like Skyrim, but I also love sci-fi which is a setting that is severely under represented in gaming. While I can acknowledge that there are a lot of good aspects about the game that was released, it does not remotely resemble the game that was promised (or at least hinted at). It didn't revolutionize anything. Most of the "choices" that I encountered weren't actually choices, and I have a particularly hate for the story trope that is featured in the main quest line. I sunk around 25 hours into it because I was committed to the hype, until I eventually realized that at no point did I actually enjoy it.

Final Fantasy XV - I'm a diehard Final Fantasy fan. I've owned every numbered FF game since Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the US) on the super nintendo as a kid. I've even bought and played the 2 MMO's. Every one of these games resulted in me dumping hours into the game immediately upon opening it. Even FF XIII which I eventually came to love but was somewhat ambivalent on during my first attempt at playing. Even that game I probably had 20 hours played in 3 days of the game releasing. That is, every game until Final Fantasy 15. I had this game pre-ordered (the collector's edition), and I even went to pick up at the midnight release despite having work the next morning. When I got home from the store I even stayed up to play it for a bit sinking a couple hours into it because I was so excited to have another main line FF game. The few hours that I stayed up playing it after bringing it home at Midnight was the last time that I even booted that game up. Nothing about the opening sequence captured me like every Final Fantasy game before it, and in the 5+ years since it was released not once have I had even the slightest urge to try it again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2022, 09:13 AM   #2
MVP

PPerfect_CJ's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Most Disappointing games

I'd go with pretty much all of the sports games in this generation. Whether it's from having next to no improvements in Career Modes/Franchises to losing features like roster sharing and custom music, they've ALL pretty much disappointed me. It blows my mind that we had better sports games on PS2 and PS3 than we do on PS4 and PS5.
#WeAreND
Old 03-24-2022, 09:26 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

Battlefield 2042
Old 03-24-2022, 10:36 AM   #4
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
I'd go with pretty much all of the sports games in this generation. Whether it's from having next to no improvements in Career Modes/Franchises to losing features like roster sharing and custom music, they've ALL pretty much disappointed me. It blows my mind that we had better sports games on PS2 and PS3 than we do on PS4 and PS5.
I still enjoy most of the sports games, particularly 2K, but yeah, they're all disappointing to at least some degree. Madden has totally lost me as a consumer the past few years. PES' transition to eFootball was a travesty. Even MLB The Show removing the carry over saves was extremely disappointing and I haven't bought one of their games since.

The two sports games from this generation that were the opposite of disappointments were Rocket League and Super Mega Baseball.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 03-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #5
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

I think NBA 2K has been disappointing the last few years but if you want to go non sports games, I was really disappointed by Death Stranding. Couldn't get into Death Stranding at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Yes, most sports games have been disappointing. Imagine our faces if you had told us in 2004 what sports gaming would be like today. We had multiple licensed games for all sports full of content. Now we have 1 licensed game for each sport and nearly all have less content in their career modes than we had back in 2004.

GTA V is a disappointment. It is ironic I have hundreds of hours in the game, but it never lived up to the hype. GTA III was revolutionary, Vice City was also. San Andreas was equally as mindblowing if not more. Then GTA IV came out and lacked a lot of content, but it had good graphics, great physics, a decent story, and a lively world. Altogether, it was still disappointing coming from San Andreas.

GTA V was supposed to fix all of that and was hyped all to hell. It was still a good game, don't get me wrong, but man did it fail to live up to a lot of the hype, imo. It also lacks the depth San Andreas had. The physics took a major step back from IV. The map is one of the worst in the franchise, imo. I hated the map from the start and 10 years later I'm still sick of it.

It's still a good game, Online is fun also, but neither the singleplayer nor the Online aspect ever lived up to what I was hoping for. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic, I just was hoping for a story mode that was longer than 60 missions over 12 hours, and I was hoping Online would be more grounded and interactive, but obviously the game has been an insanely successful game, so who cares about my disappointment.

Battlefield 2042 is an easy one to put on here.

Mafia 3 had an amazing story, great atmosphere, good graphics, a lot of broken gameplay elements. It is disappointing because that game has ridiculous potential, they just rushed it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 03-24-2022, 02:16 PM   #7
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

....so many to choose from. Ignoring games where I deep down expected to not like it (usually because of genre); instead, focusing on games I truly want(ed) to love but couldn't. And as of right now, 2 stick out for me....

The Avengers - really fell flat for me and it bums me out - because dang it, I love superhero stuff. I just never connected with the characters or story. It just felt like a bland 'grind game' with Marvel trappings. Guardians of the Galaxy did a MUCH better job of connecting the player with the story and characters.

Madden '22 - After two straight years of going through 5+ year franchises in '20 and '21....I couldn't get more than a few games into a franchise in '22. Not getting into the details here.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:45 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

2 in recent memory for me.
firewatch
the witness

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »