Home

Is defense really impossible?

This is a discussion on Is defense really impossible? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
Is defense really impossible?

Playing on PS5, it feels like my players are on roller skates. When I try to stay with my man on defense, my own player literally turns around. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2022, 11:07 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Is defense really impossible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeureally27
Playing on PS5, it feels like my players are on roller skates. When I try to stay with my man on defense, my own player literally turns around. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To me it’s not possible to stay stuck on someone without defensive assistance turned to 100.
Old 04-11-2022, 12:09 PM   #3
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Don't hold turbo unless they get behind you. Use the baseline and out of bounds as an extra defender. If someone is a slasher and not a great shooter try to give them a little cushion and make sure you don't give them the baseline and push them towards help defense at the rim. You may end up on a poster but more often than not if you can time it right even as a shorter defender you can break their dunk animations.

If someone is a pure bred shooter the only thing I can say is don't try and play reactionary defense. If they go left more often they're trying to get you to drift to that side so they can left stick the opposite way and you'll go flying. It's better to block off the opposite direction. So like... If they go left towards the wing stay on his right hip. If he DOES decide to go back you'll get a nice good bump animation and often times you can force him to pick up the ball if you have high level Clamps. They may take that angle and drive to the basket but that's actually what you want. If they wanna shoot 2s let them. Hope the help defense can stifle a weak finisher. But even weaker finishers often get easy layups no matter their badges or rating.

The best thing to do is try and take things away as the game goes on. Most players have one or two go-to moves. You figure out their tendencies they typically don't have much else.

As someone who doesn't cheese at all it's really funny to me to take on someone who's been killing ransoms with the same moves over and over and then for me to show up and just make them THINK about what they have to do. I'll typically try and give a cushion at first to see if their deadly with their shot first. If they green the first 3 then I'll start pushing them towards the paint. If they like to drive I definitely will make them pull it even if they make one or two. The 60 rated three ball players will eventually miss especially if you can trick them into a late slight contest.

Last edited by howardphillips214; 04-11-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:05 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRJ23
To me it’s not possible to stay stuck on someone without defensive assistance turned to 100.
I've tried it on 100, 75, 50, 25, 0, etc.

It seemed like I lost control of my player on the higher settings. It was like I was being pulled to whoever the ball handler was even if he wasn't the man I was guarding. That's why I left it at 0. And for certain dribble spammers and speed booster it doesn't matter what setting you have it on. They will bust dribble moves that create so much space and the Stop and Go and Quick First Step and Hyper Drive badges will get you murdered on defense. Oh and the Triple Threat Juke.

The defense can't counteract some of the ways these things create space. Have you ever seen a spammer do a size-up and then go right or left and it seems like their little arm gets long as hell and the ball seems to be on a string?

Those are the worst. The ball seems to push further away from their body as they boost in the direction they are going. You can tell the way the arm looks long and deformed. You'll notice it but it happens quick.

Last edited by MoreThanAGamer; 04-11-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:10 PM   #5
MVP

RedmanR's Arena

OVR: 11

Maybe this will help

https://youtu.be/WyPbF8DTJPQ

https://youtu.be/SIIzOIH6xN8

https://youtu.be/-5Du6PAJXFs

Sent from my using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »