Home

Expansion team

This is a discussion on Expansion team within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2022, 07:22 PM   #1
Rookie

SethMurphy's Arena

OVR: 3
Expansion team

Has anyone messed around with a faux expansion team? I know there have been a few methods of making an expansion style team in madden that can be done well.

Just wondering if anyone had messed around with a system or list of players they would pick from or how they would build a 90 man to mimic an expansion

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2022, 09:17 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Expansion team

Search for TnJ Nashville Stars on YouTube he has a good breakdown of how he set his expansion team up in episode 1 of his franchise series.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-26-2022, 09:21 PM   #3
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMurphy
Has anyone messed around with a faux expansion team? I know there have been a few methods of making an expansion style team in madden that can be done well.

Just wondering if anyone had messed around with a system or list of players they would pick from or how they would build a 90 man to mimic an expansion

I wish you could actually do an expansion as opposed to just taking over a team. This doesnt at all answer your question sorry but i thought id share what I did and am having a lot of fun with. I made a custom team with a custom stadium and took over Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay for 2 reasons. I want to play in the same division as the Jays and Tampas stadium is garbage lol.

I then swapped players out with comparable overalls and ages for corresponding Canadian players. It gave me a decent but not overpowered team.
Old 04-29-2022, 01:23 PM   #4
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMurphy

I did one in MLB 20 and had a decent time doing it.

Obviously it's tough, and it's all a pretty big stretch if you're going for any sort of realism to start your franchise. I feel like I had a thread on the dynasties page, but I can't find it anymore..Here's the basics around what I did though:

-Anybody on the 40 man roster at the time was eligible for a dispersal draft, as long as they weren't a rookie (ie. Wander wouldn't be eligible this year).
-Dispersal draft was the same order as the MLB draft.
-I *tried* to draft in the dispersal draft based on organizational needs for the teams that were drafting.
-At the time, MLBTR was running an expansion draft series, so I followed their protection schemes, and drafted 1 player from each team based on their criteria. Basically made it a 29 players out, 29 players in scenario.
-Their protection list was listed here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=262185425
-I kept the Rays farm system. As someone who prefers realism, I think having one of the top farm systems in baseball kind of ruined it for me in the end...I'm sure there's probably a way to go about it, something like you trade off your top 10-15 prospects and just keep drafting eligible players?

It's a shame that they don't run a similar series on MLBTR every year, because it was certainly helpful at the time, and a fun follow in the offseason. I wish I could remember who all I drafted, because if memory serves, it was a pretty godawful team!
Old 04-29-2022, 10:17 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Rip ASB 2001
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2022, 01:34 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
I did one in MLB 20 and had a decent time doing it.

Obviously it's tough, and it's all a pretty big stretch if you're going for any sort of realism to start your franchise. I feel like I had a thread on the dynasties page, but I can't find it anymore..Here's the basics around what I did though:

-Anybody on the 40 man roster at the time was eligible for a dispersal draft, as long as they weren't a rookie (ie. Wander wouldn't be eligible this year).
-Dispersal draft was the same order as the MLB draft.
-I *tried* to draft in the dispersal draft based on organizational needs for the teams that were drafting.
-At the time, MLBTR was running an expansion draft series, so I followed their protection schemes, and drafted 1 player from each team based on their criteria. Basically made it a 29 players out, 29 players in scenario.
-Their protection list was listed here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=262185425
-I kept the Rays farm system. As someone who prefers realism, I think having one of the top farm systems in baseball kind of ruined it for me in the end...I'm sure there's probably a way to go about it, something like you trade off your top 10-15 prospects and just keep drafting eligible players?

It's a shame that they don't run a similar series on MLBTR every year, because it was certainly helpful at the time, and a fun follow in the offseason. I wish I could remember who all I drafted, because if memory serves, it was a pretty godawful team!
Now that the Ridin Roster is out I'm working on a "expansion draft" taking over the Rangers (no particular reason). I watched a video where a guy used the system from the previous expansion draft for TB and Arizona that worked quite nicely. It was 3 rounds to get to 35 players every team could protect 15 players in the first round and the next two rounds they can add 3 to the protection list.

Was wondering how you did yours if you released the players off the roster or you did a swap?
Old 05-12-2022, 10:07 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_790132
Search for TnJ Nashville Stars on YouTube he has a good breakdown of how he set his expansion team up in episode 1 of his franchise series.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Operation Sports mobile app
Thank for this. Been binging that series since i seen your post this morning and am thinking of doing a duel expansion team franchise. Oakland moves to Vegas and Miami moves to Nashville.

My rules.
1. Expansion list I'll go loosely off the list TnJ went off if, but with some adjustments in the players listed. 1 or 2 80 overall players allowed

2. Cant select a player from same divion your team is in. HOWEVER, you are allowed to select 1 prospect from each of those team. But only 1 of those players can be above 70 overall. Other 3 have to be under 70 overall.

3. Can select 4 other prospects from around the league. 1 of those prospects has to be a pitcher. And whatever team you take said prospect from, has to be given 1 of your better players that you would be releasing anyways.(I.E. Miami gives Pablo Lopez to Yankees for say Volpe)

4. You are allowed to KEEP 1 player and 1 prospect from whatever team youre removing.

5. Payroll has to be 60M and under until you make playoffs. Then you add 10M for each round advanced

Little note: I will give 1 hitter and 1 pitcher, from every level of our organization, a gold glove for whoever has the best season. ALSO, I'll designate a certain color to be decided, to 1 Hitter and 1 pitcher who are our captain's.

Last edited by kenp86; 05-12-2022 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:59 AM   #8
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabralk
Now that the Ridin Roster is out I'm working on a "expansion draft" taking over the Rangers (no particular reason). I watched a video where a guy used the system from the previous expansion draft for TB and Arizona that worked quite nicely. It was 3 rounds to get to 35 players every team could protect 15 players in the first round and the next two rounds they can add 3 to the protection list.

Was wondering how you did yours if you released the players off the roster or you did a swap?
Since I was taking 1 player per team (and sending 1 per team in my dispersal draft), I did the dispersal draft and expansion draft by hand (or on excel...can't remember) beforehand, which made it easier to track and just to do a 1 for 1 swap.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »