Home

Introducing XP for MyNBA Player Progression

This is a discussion on Introducing XP for MyNBA Player Progression within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2022, 03:48 PM   #1
Pro

El_Tercero's Arena

OVR: 0
Introducing XP for MyNBA Player Progression

Madden has copied badges and takeover from 2K. I think 2K should do the same in regard to Madden's player XP from their franchise mode. I think it would be more rewarding if players progress within the season based on their performance, age, and development level (potential).

In 2K it seems that all player progression only happens in the offseason and it seems very random as if what they did on the court doesn't matter. A player can have his badges will drop while his rating increases in the offseason. I know 2K marketed the boom/bust system, but I don't really see anything that proves this. I think the progression system can use an overhaul.

Madden has four levels up development levels 1) Normal, 2) Star, 3) Superstar, and 4) Superstar XFactor. This is pretty much what their potential is. Players progress at a faster rate depending on their development level. This makes on the court performance really matter as opposed to a predetermined system. I think 2K should introduce something like this in MyNBA as it would make it more immersive.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2022, 12:45 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Introducing XP for MyNBA Player Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Tercero
Madden has copied badges and takeover from 2K. I think 2K should do the same in regard to Madden's player XP from their franchise mode. I think it would be more rewarding if players progress within the season based on their performance, age, and development level (potential).

In 2K it seems that all player progression only happens in the offseason and it seems very random as if what they did on the court doesn't matter. A player can have his badges will drop while his rating increases in the offseason. I know 2K marketed the boom/bust system, but I don't really see anything that proves this. I think the progression system can use an overhaul.

Madden has four levels up development levels 1) Normal, 2) Star, 3) Superstar, and 4) Superstar XFactor. This is pretty much what their potential is. Players progress at a faster rate depending on their development level. This makes on the court performance really matter as opposed to a predetermined system. I think 2K should introduce something like this in MyNBA as it would make it more immersive.

Thoughts?
Could be interesting since the current system is so stale. I can't even tell if boom or bust works. 2k hasn't done anything to myleague/mynba in like 4 years so don't get ya hopes up.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:34 AM   #3
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

No thanks. I hate Maddens player progression with the different dev traits and XP. I get what they're going for but it just feels too artificial. I liked the way 2Ks MyPlayer progression worked a few years ago with the archetype system and caps. Where one type couldn't do everything. I think the online MyPlayer community hated it though so 2K scrapped it. I would have loved to have seen something like that apply to every player in the game.

I'd like to see every attribute have a potential cap. Most players would be close, if not there, by the time they make the league. A guy having an 88 overall potential doesnt tell me much. I'd rather be able to see what each of his individual attributes could potentially be so I have a better view of what type of player he is. How much can his ball handling improve? Or his mid range shot? Or his on ball defense? I'd like a system like that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-28-2022, 11:29 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
No thanks. I hate Maddens player progression with the different dev traits and XP. I get what they're going for but it just feels too artificial. I liked the way 2Ks MyPlayer progression worked a few years ago with the archetype system and caps. Where one type couldn't do everything. I think the online MyPlayer community hated it though so 2K scrapped it. I would have loved to have seen something like that apply to every player in the game.

I'd like to see every attribute have a potential cap. Most players would be close, if not there, by the time they make the league. A guy having an 88 overall potential doesnt tell me much. I'd rather be able to see what each of his individual attributes could potentially be so I have a better view of what type of player he is. How much can his ball handling improve? Or his mid range shot? Or his on ball defense? I'd like a system like that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app

Echo your statement. The XP feels too artificial and ‘gamey’. I know its a video game but players dont get better they had good stats. They get better and then produce good stats. If you get to the point where youre trying to hit a certain amount of 3p in a game with someone so you can boost their rating afterwards it feels cheap IMO. But thats just me

With regard to the attribute potentials. This is something i have been posting about since 2K17. The “structured randomness” would allow for much more varied and “organic” franchise modes. This is where you can have playtime/stats have an effect on progression.

A guy like Brandom Ingram blossomed after getting from underneath lebrons shadow so you can have him progress to max out his shot creation and offensive consistency attributes and badges. Or you can have a guy like Bagley never reach his potential attributes due to logjam at position/lack of PT

This style of progression modelcan also help with regression. A guy like Lebron contiuned to progress in other areas of his game as his athletic powers dwindled. This can be reflected by having a later peak start/end but with low(er) shooting ratings (with high potential) and maxed out athleticisim ratings. As he gets closer to the end of his peak you can see him transform into a different style of player
Old 04-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #5
Pro

El_Tercero's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baebae32
A guy like Brandom Ingram blossomed after getting from underneath lebrons shadow so you can have him progress to max out his shot creation and offensive consistency attributes and badges. Or you can have a guy like Bagley never reach his potential attributes due to logjam at position/lack of PT

Wouldn't these reasons be all the more reason to have XP? Brandon Ingram's take off is a result from being the number 1 option, getting more touches and shots up. The same goes for Bagley. Because he wasn't as much of a focus on the team, it hurt his potential.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2022, 10:07 AM   #6
Rookie

No thank you. Madden's progression is worse, and much less organic than 2K's, imo. Each franchise is pretty similar, outside of the user's teams, because they can control progression. Xp progression is backwards. Players produce more, because they got better. They don't get better, because they produced. The boom/bust system, and the peak start peak end are a better system, for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »