Home

On-ball defense

This is a discussion on On-ball defense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2022, 11:18 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
On-ball defense

Why is on-ball defense literally the most impossible thing in 2k22? There’s literally no way to stay with your man because of stupid animations.

I’ve had to resort to playing strictly off-ball and switch to a different man if my controlled player becomes the on-ball defender.

It is extremely frustrating, when it is considered that things weren’t like this as of 2k19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2022, 12:11 PM   #2
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: On-ball defense

It's been going on way longer than 2k22. Online, the input delay/latency is not up to par like most FPS games. Defense will always be a step slower than offense since it's based off reaction anyway, but the animations as you mentioned, & latency play a huge part in the issue.

Badges or lack of badges, also plays a huge factor. On ball D with someone like Jordan or Gary Payton or Marcus Smart feels fluid & realistic. But playing with someone like Nash or Luka & you're going to have a tough time staying in front.

I always just try to influence a certain direction, usually where my help is. So I'll leverage my defender in a way that will cut off a baseline drive, but I know I have gap help in the middle. It's not perfect, but it helps.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:52 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

As someone who uses the Celtics, I can assure you that defense with Smart is nothing but fluid.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:08 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeureally27
Why is on-ball defense literally the most impossible thing in 2k22? There’s literally no way to stay with your man because of stupid animations.

I’ve had to resort to playing strictly off-ball and switch to a different man if my controlled player becomes the on-ball defender.

It is extremely frustrating, when it is considered that things weren’t like this as of 2k19.

I was under the impression most people play defense this way vs the CPU. It's the computer on top of that whole problem.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:00 PM   #5
Pro

El_Tercero's Arena

If you have a good defender it will be easier to stay in front of your man, as it should be. The CPU does do a better job at staying in front and that's why most people play off ball. Because the CPU reacts a lot faster than a human would. But I play on ball defense because it's more rewarding and fun rather than sticking to the guy farthest from the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2022, 04:07 PM   #6
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
On-ball defense

I can’t agree

This has seen a massive improvement this year

It’s as balanced as it’s been in awhile IMO, Other games like 2K17 had the training wheels on where you’d automatically stick to guys but it’s much more organic now.

Who are you attempting to defend with? Do you have Defensive assist on in controller settings?

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 05-31-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:49 PM   #7
MVP

RedmanR's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zten11
I was under the impression most people play defense this way vs the CPU. It's the computer on top of that whole problem.
I prefer on ball, switch wherever the ball goes. . .

Sent from my using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2022, 09:31 PM   #8
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

I play a lot of online park games so my experience is guarding the cheesiest of the cheesies. I've had tall defenders, I've hard short little ones that are supposed to be better badges and better speed. The online delay is real, that is a thing. But the other guy had it best.

You look at all the BEST defenders in the NBA, they're not sitting in the chair for 24 seconds fighting through 3-4 picks and totally taking someone out the game EVERY POSSESSION the WHOLE possession.

A good defender is versatile. Being able to switch, hedge, or fight through and making those decisions consistently with a high success rate is what makes a good defender. They say "he guards 1-5" as the ultimate compliment.

Understand, you're going to get beat. The idea is learning from your mistakes. Especially against the real people.

Played a Point Forward today who had his buddy setting screens all game. I'm on a bigger NON defensive character and what enabled us to WIN was having my other teammate stepping up. If I'm getting screened to death and no one switches that's buckets. He drives he shoots, he's money. I think I gave up 10/12 points the 3 games we played them. I made him miss SOME and then my two teammates hit their shots.

If you watch the modern NBA, everyone can shoot, everyone is a threat damn near. Each year the NBA breaks its own record for made 3s and 3s attempted.

2k takes it way too far IMO but that's the game now. People say Curry changed how kids wanna play the game. They have no idea what Curry did to the NBA 2K series. ��

As soon as a logo 3 was not a stupid shot anymore the 2k community been RAINING 3s. I'm at 56% in some 3000 park games and played my first 1000 park games at 19 percent. I just caved and made a sharp shooter who can defend.

There truly is no other way to play this game. Shoot 3s and HOPE you can make your man miss.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »