Home

Do you read safeties or curl/seam flats when you snap?

This is a discussion on Do you read safeties or curl/seam flats when you snap? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2022, 08:08 AM   #1
Banned

Housh123's Arena

OVR: 0

I went years and years reading safeties and about a month ago i started reading the hooks, and curl/seam flats and it seems like I’m becoming a safer Madden player because of it.

I’m seeing that safeties lie, and there’s just no possible way you can read them quick enough to make a safe diagnosis. The curls/seams are easier because if that defender puts a body on your guy and it’s not man you automatically know he’s bailing to them sideline unless of course it’s a user hot routed zone.

Only thing you gotta read after that is the zone depth and you are good.

What do you guys read?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by Housh123; 06-10-2022 at 08:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2022, 10:58 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Do you read safeties or curl/seam flats when you snap?

The order of my progressions is dynamic and depends on 1) my play call. 2) the situation at hand, and 3) the defensive alignment.

If it is 2nd and 3 and I come out in a shot play, I'll see what their alignment is, then if I see the shot play has a chance based on that, I 100% read the safeties as the deep route typically needs to be your first read when you're looking to go deep.

If its 2nd and 7 and I'm looking to take whatever yards I can get, the defensive alignment may dictate what I look at more. If they're playing a 1 high look, I'll read the safety first to see if the deep shot is there, if they play a 2 deep look, I may watch the safeties first, but if both take a step back at the snap, I immediately have a key defender underneath I turn my eyes to and his decision making tells me where to throw the ball to.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 06-10-2022, 01:59 PM   #3
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

I’ll usually read middle third of the field( a safety moving there or not), then my play side corner.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:13 PM   #4
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

I at least read my deep route receiver/TE and one checkdown. The S is my post snap 1st read for the deep route; and I read the LBs, or any additional dbs not covering a Wr 2nd. If S breaks its a home run ball. If LBs rush it's an easy swing or check.

Double move routes kill man everytime, and should be called at least twice a game for easy big yards. Plus it looks beautiful seeing the safety and/or cb bite and open up the deep ball.

Don't really have much else. Madden is an easy read, especially if you watch the nuances of wr/db play. It's alot of DBs running wr routes etc to match in man with little ratings difference. The ratings just factor wr vs db and thats it. Not db vs average or elite db play etc

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NFL --- JAX JAGUARS (DUUUUVAAAL)
MLB --- BOSTON RED SOX
NBA --- LAKERS4LIFE
NCAAF --- GATOR NATION (UF)
NCAAB --- DUKE BLUE DEVILS
MLS --- DC UNITED
BARCLAYS PL --- CHELSEA

MUSIC/ARTIST ALIAS --- SHIESTY SLIM
"CRAY CRAY" available on ITUNES, GOOGLE PLAY, AMAZON
Old 06-10-2022, 10:31 PM   #5
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I’ll usually read middle third of the field( a safety moving there or not), then my play side corner.

I don’t like being lied to by safeties

Post snap I definitely read wether a safety is back tho. If that middle 3rd zone goes away from my deep route it’s open season with Jamarr Chase

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2022, 06:36 AM   #6
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh123
I went years and years reading safeties and about a month ago i started reading the hooks, and curl/seam flats and it seems like I’m becoming a safer Madden player because of it.

I’m seeing that safeties lie, and there’s just no possible way you can read them quick enough to make a safe diagnosis. The curls/seams are easier because if that defender puts a body on your guy and it’s not man you automatically know he’s bailing to them sideline unless of course it’s a user hot routed zone.

Only thing you gotta read after that is the zone depth and you are good.

What do you guys read?

That's interesting, but what about cover 6? Or man/zone?

I'll try that. But what I've always done is read if the safeties were open or closed (including immediately post-snap), and while looking at them, watching the middle linebacker too.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:39 AM   #7
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
That's interesting, but what about cover 6? Or man/zone?

I'll try that. But what I've always done is read if the safeties were open or closed (including immediately post-snap), and while looking at them, watching the middle linebacker too.

Man is the easiest thing to read imo. I call RB outs almost every pass play. If a linebacker covers that route from the backfield and the DBs follow a slant more than a couple yards it’s man. I look at alignment to decide if i should be on the lookout for man. I wanna say the DBs will all turn their backs and run to follow the WR in man too. Idk exactly what i read for man but i seem to guess right most times. I have been playing madden since day 1 so maybe I’m just reading the animations themselves and it has nothing to do with football.

Cover 6 isn’t called against me enough to have a read for it. Honestly post snap I’m reading middle and one side of the field so I’ll never get tricked by cover 6 because whatever side my RB out route is set to go that’s the side i read. By the time i make it to the other side it’s been a second or 2 and i can already tell wether i should be throwing or trying to scramble

Last edited by Housh123; 06-15-2022 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:18 AM   #8
Rookie

This thread is helpful as someone who struggles in the pass game (on all football games).

Something I have been trying to hone in on is Curl/Flat combo plays. Trying to read if the nickel corner (or linebacker, just depends on their package) turns their body immediately to cover the flat or if they stay in that neutral strafe position –*this allows me to recognize better if the corner on my X/Y receiver is playing zone or man on the Curl. If I read it as man coverage, I like my chances of firing a bullet at my WR's knees away from the CB so he can make the grab and go down for a 5-7 yard gain.

On Fly routes, I'll try to read the safety first to see if he's dropping back or not. If not, and I have a one-on-one matchup on the outside, then I will lob it up.

I guess it depends on who the play is designed for when it comes to reading the defense and figuring out if the person you want to get the ball to is being heavily guarded or not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »