Home

Madden 23 Beta Gameplay Thoughts - Game of Inches

This is a discussion on Madden 23 Beta Gameplay Thoughts - Game of Inches within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2022, 01:05 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

After playing the beta since its initial release and witnessing multiple patches and tweaks, I have...

Written By: Robert Kollars

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2022, 02:27 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
actually i enjoyed the game and get it day one have to get used to the passing mechanics
Old 06-27-2022, 06:34 PM   #3
Rookie

PsnHitman17's Arena

OVR: 0
" I loved the aggressive nature of defensive backs in certain situations, but I wanted to see more knockdowns and fewer interceptions."
"I want to feel the disappointment of making a lousy read when throwing the ball or the frustration of making the wrong cut with my running back because I was simply not patient enough to wait for the block ahead of me."

You can't have it both ways.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #4
Rookie

TFunaro's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Madden 23 Beta Gameplay Thoughts - Game of Inches

For all of the marketing hoopla, this still very much feels like the SAME EXACT GAME you've been playing for well over the past decade, with the SAME LEGACY ISSUES. Barring the occasional "oh, that was kinda cool" moment - which are exceptionaly few and far between - the game feels and plays exactly like yester-year's version: predictable, same-y, and ULTRA STALE.

I could do a deep dive on this subject, but I'd rather not waste my time (it's essentially pointless). Short version: Madden, in its current form, exists to function as a MUT cash-cow. The code needs to be gutted and entirely rebuilt from scratch. The only way we're going to get a fresh, new, simulation-style NFL gaming experience is when the exclusivity rights finally expire and another company takes the reigns. That's the reality of the situation.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:22 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFunaro
this still very much feels like the SAME EXACT GAME you've been playing for well over the past decade
Um. I don't see how you could possibly come to that conclusion if you logged any meaningful hands-on time with the Madden 23 beta.

The gameplay controls are obviously more responsive than ever; not only as a ballcarrier, but at almost every skill position. There are far more animations, more opportunities for branching animations, and more animation transitions to honor those inputs and pay off the added control with fluid motion. Skill Based Passing significantly livens up the act of throwing the football. Defensive pass rush is more fierce than it has ever been, even a basic four-man rush which has never consistently threatened a Madden offense. Zone defenders have lightning-quick reaction times against poorly-timed junk throws. Even kick and punt returns feel more lively with all the new collision resolution and branching animation systems in place.

The whole FieldSense label is marketing, sure. Ignore that. The actual implementation details of what was added on the field this year are significant and impressive. This is one of the biggest leaps forward on the field I can remember Madden making in a long time. It's just fun to play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2022, 07:34 AM   #6
Rookie

Moose31's Arena

i still think the sound effects-stadium atmosphere crowd noise sucks... way too quiet and not realistic reactions to game situations... i dont understand how EA continues to screw this up and cant make the game feel/sound like a real nfl stadium.

and i hate the way players run... have a look at ezikiel elliot runs. once he is in open field he kind of bounces like a running chicken. this applies to the running animations in general. and have had numerous occasions where the running back morphs through the line.

i still find the gameplay too fast... leans towards more of an arcade feel for me anyhow...

whatever... EA will still sell 10 billion copies and 9 billion people with complain about the game... and then EA will move onto madden 24

Last edited by Moose31; 06-28-2022 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:15 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose31
i still think the sound effects-stadium atmosphere crowd noise sucks... way too quiet and not realistic reactions to game situations... i dont understand how EA continues to screw this up and cant make the game feel/sound like a real nfl stadium.

and i hate the way players run... have a look at ezikiel elliot runs. once he is in open field he kind of bounces like a running chicken. this applies to the running animations in general. and have had numerous occasions where the running back morphs through the line.

i still find the gameplay too fast... leans towards more of an arcade feel for me anyhow...

whatever... EA will still sell 10 billion copies and 9 billion people with complain about the game... and then EA will move onto madden 24
Man I just don’t see this happening as bad as previous maddens! I’m really hard on madden each and every year and my only hope is they don’t patch it to cater towards a group of people who’s only goal is to win at any means necessary all the while ruining a great gameplay experience!

I’m tired of the different set of rules that are to determine what’s “sim” and what’s not. Due to the overwhelming amount of cheaters on this game who can’t play a simple game of football to save there life!!

That showed tremendously in this beta but I’m sure there were some guys who have found and done something’s that may have not been reported as they tend to either play there friends who do the same stuff!

Just be vigilant with the feedback on the game and not get outta hand asking for stuff that would regress the game to no point in playing
Old 06-28-2022, 10:54 AM   #8
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
Man I just don’t see this happening as bad as previous maddens! I’m really hard on madden each and every year and my only hope is they don’t patch it to cater towards a group of people who’s only goal is to win at any means necessary all the while ruining a great gameplay experience!

I’m tired of the different set of rules that are to determine what’s “sim” and what’s not. Due to the overwhelming amount of cheaters on this game who can’t play a simple game of football to save there life!!

That showed tremendously in this beta but I’m sure there were some guys who have found and done something’s that may have not been reported as they tend to either play there friends who do the same stuff!

Just be vigilant with the feedback on the game and not get outta hand asking for stuff that would regress the game to no point in playing

If we are being real…..it is what they have done for years now.

We know who the game is catered to and that is why my expectations have tumbled back down to really a low level that the game that is released is not the game it will be over the course of the cycle. Even Madden 21 which is a very solid game changed from release as well.

It is simply a reality of where sports games are now. Of course that is my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 06-28-2022 at 12:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »