Home

GIDP Issues

This is a discussion on GIDP Issues within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2022, 08:04 PM   #1
MVP

DallasRocks's Arena

OVR: 12
GIDP Issues

Anyone else hit into a ridiculous amount of double plays?! I played a whole season and at the end hit into 40 more than the next team! Season 2 no different thus far. Typical inning is hit, hit, GIDP, out, inning over. Never fails, feels so scripted at times. Yes I know don’t swing at low pitches with men on but most times it’s ripped right at infielders. Anyways just venting and wanted to see if I’m alone or not
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2022, 08:12 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: GIDP Issues

I do too, I’m about to start playing around with sliders. It’s not that I feel I hit too many ground balls, it just seems like they’re too easy to turn. I can live with a hard hit ball right at someone, it’s the ones where the ball is hit to someone’s side and should be a slower developing play that they end up turning flawlessly that irritate me
Old 06-29-2022, 08:42 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I don't remember where I ranked in GIDP after my first season. I believe I mentioned it on here because someone asked, but I haven't searched for that post.

I'm at the All-Star Break in my second season. I've hit into 63 double plays in 97 games (0.649 per game) which ranks 27th worst in the majors. I don't know if the game counts bad baserunning as hit into GIDP, such as thinking a ball is going to land in the gap, or over a fielders head only for it to be caught and me be doubled off. If so, I know I could probably subtract 5-7 of those GIDP, which would then put me at 58 which would be mid-pack.

The best is the Braves at 40 while the worst is Orioles and Giants both at 67. The average is just over 57/58 depending on how you want to round the number, so I'm not astronomically above the league average.

This is playing every pitch of every game with zone hitting for reference

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 06-29-2022 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:18 PM   #4
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I don't remember where I ranked in GIDP after my first season. I believe I mentioned it on here because someone asked, but I haven't searched for that post.

I'm at the All-Star Break in my second season. I've hit into 63 double plays in 97 games (0.649 per game) which ranks 27th worst in the majors. I don't know if the game counts bad baserunning as hit into GIDP, such as thinking a ball is going to land in the gap, or over a fielders head only for it to be caught and me be doubled off. If so, I know I could probably subtract 5-7 of those GIDP, which would then put me at 58 which would be mid-pack.

The best is the Braves at 40 while the worst is Orioles and Giants both at 67. The average is just over 57/58 depending on how you want to round the number, so I'm not astronomically above the league average.

This is playing every pitch of every game with zone hitting for reference
I play with our sliders and We have infield arm strength at 0. I am averaging 0.59 per game after 83 games played.

I know in the game’s boxscore they will say how many GIDP there are and I know they don’t count line outs or times getting doubled off. So I don’t think they would count them in the stats.

Off topic, I know one glitch with scoring and I know it’s been like this for years is the rare case of the runner from first base runs on the play and you ground out; if the ball is hit close enough to 2nd they can get the runner out on the force, they’ll count it as a caught stealing.

https://twitch.tv/bryanm1982

Braves Franchise

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 06-29-2022, 11:06 PM   #5
MVP

GIDP Issues

If you want to avoid double-plays you have to lay off pitches that will induce them, either by attacking the gap on the right side or hitting something to the outfield.

Don’t mean to be captain obvious but if this thread isn’t about the game being scripted then how else would you expect it to work?

The biggest problem (yes, biggest, I’m not choosing my words lightly here) a lot of guys have with this game is that they try to play in a constant state of not-quite-committed: if you want to avoid GIDPs you have to be fully committed to avoiding them. Say “No double play!” out loud when the AB starts if it helps, and don’t swing at anything in the bottom third of the zone at all if it helps. Take the backwards K if it helps, it’s clearly the preferable result. Like, DUH.

If you can’t avoid swinging at a low pitch, make sure you’re starting your swing early enough to get it over the infield.

Again, if this thread isn’t about comeback code then there’s really nothing else to say about GIDP: do better, simple as.

NOTE: Please read no condescension or pretension here, I currently lead the league in GIDP, so no you’re not alone, but there’s no secret to it, I can promise you that. You just gotta, ya know, not hit into as many DPs.

Cheers & good luck to all reading.

Last edited by Detroit Tigers; 07-01-2022 at 03:13 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2022, 01:01 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
If you want to avoid double-plays you have to lay off pitches that will induce them, either by attacking the gap on the right side or hitting something to the outfield.

Don’t mean to be captain obvious but if this thread isn’t about the game being scripted then how else would you expect it to work?

The biggest problem a lot of guys have with this game is they try to play in a constant state of not-quite-committed: if you want to avoid GIDPs you have to be fully committed to avoiding them. Say “No double play!” out loud when the AB starts and don’t swing at anything in the bottom third of the zone. Take the backwards K if necessary, it’s clearly the preferable result.

If you can’t avoid swinging at a low pitch, make sure you’re starting your swing early enough to get it over the infield.

Again, if this thread isn’t about comeback code nonsense then there’s really nothing else to say about GIDP. Do better. Simple as.

NOTE: Please read no condescension or pretension here, I lead the league in GIDP so no you’re not alone; but there’s no secret to it, you just gotta, ya know, not hit into as many DPs.
The thing I mainly tell myself is that I'm not going to GIDP with less than two strikes - and usually my ahead count-even count approach to hitting (sitting on a spot with the PCI and trying to only swing at pitches that meet it) allows that to play out. It doesn't mean that I never GIDP with less than two strikes - there's just less chance of me hitting a fast grounder right at an infielder that way. Unexpected offspeed pitches that I misread and get out in front of are usually the culprits when it's this kind of DP. And if it does happen in this situation it's probably a mistake on my part.

On two strikes things change...sometimes. Depending on how I'm being pitched and the game situation I might take a called strike 3 that just clips the bottom of the zone hoping it's a ball, or I might swing at that pitch and chop into a 2-ball. There's also a better chance on two strikes of me just making poor PCI contact while protecting the plate, which can also lead to an easy double play.

I agree that the user's hitting approach is much more important to the frequency of double plays (limiting them) than any other factor.

Last edited by bcruise; 06-30-2022 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:59 AM   #7
Rookie

Baseball Purist's Arena

OVR: 1

This is a legacy issue in my opinion. I've always been near the worst in the league, and this year in my franchise (now in September), I'm the worst by over 50. Playing on default legend with zone hitting. I also lead the league in BB so I don't think its necessarily my eye or swinging at low bad stuff. I square up a lot of balls down the middle that still result in DP's at a higher percentage than I probably should.

I believe the biggest culprit is that in these situations balls are hit a little too well/hard to infielders giving the baserunner (regardless of speed) no chance to beat the throw to first.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:29 AM   #8
MVP

forme95's Arena

Its a programming issue. Its always been that way. Slider sets dont matter for this. Default doesnt matter. Its just a hard coded thing. But, if you cant say things like that, then...... "thats baseball"

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »