Home

Franchise and storylines

This is a discussion on Franchise and storylines within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2022, 08:09 PM   #1
Rookie

Bgrd1080's Arena

OVR: 1
Franchise and storylines

What teams are you using and why? What storylines have you had? I'm contemplating Cincy and rebuilding, maybe spending some money this coming offseason or Cleveland and moving Bieber after 1 season. I want to get full submerged in a new team. LAA and Seatlle could be fun but they're already really good in game. The Cubbies too
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2022, 01:16 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Franchise and storylines

Storyline from my franchise (DET) is:

• horrible offense (but somehow not infuriating or unrealistic)
• ok pitching
• sellers at the deadline so I dumped some expiring contracts to contenders for peanuts
• about to be September call-ups so I’m pretty excited about that

As a rebuild project, the Tigers have a nice collection of prospects: Mize, Skubal, Manning, Madden, Tork, Greene, Jackson Jobe, Akil Baddoo, etc., so they’re pretty exciting, at least theoretically. I’m enjoying myself quite a bit.

I could honestly go on and on, and come to think of it, that’s probably why this thread didn’t get any replies: answering your OP would involve a bit of an info dump for most responders, and it’s kind of what’s going on in the franchise discussion sticky-thread.

Cheers man.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #3
Rookie

Bgrd1080's Arena

OVR: 1

Yea i was kind of hoping to get more detailed stories of peoples franchises in this thread. Rather than just discussing their team I wanted to know what they were seeing around the league and what teams they chose and why? What franchises they've enjoyed.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:22 PM   #4
Pro

I am running a franchise I started with the Show 17. I used the Cleveland Indians 2019 roster as part of my head canon that the 2019 roster reflected moves made by the front office after the 2016 series loss to the Cubs.

I play on All-Star using Armors sliders. But I think i am going to bump up after this season to HOF or AS+.

We won the WS in 2017 thanks to a midseason trade where we dealt Tyler Naquin and Trace Thompson and a pitcher who I can't remember for David Peralta and Adam Jones. Peralta has exploded and become a stud. Hit .330 with 46HR and 122 RBI in year 2. Jones, who was a total afterthought in the deal because of declining performance ended up rejuvenated and has basically hit .265 with 20 HR and 70RBI for me.

After my first offseason I traded Carlos Santana, Yasiel Puig (who was hurt most of year 1) and our top pitching prospect for Paul Goldschmidt. Goldschmidt had been demoted to AAA with the cardinals so in my universe there was some type of dissatisfaction between Goldie and St Louis that made him available. He has been good for me, but Santana has been better for St. Louis.

We are up 2-0 in the Divison series against Oakland, but the Yankees wait on the horizon in LCS if we win. They won over 110 games this season and dominated us in the regular season.

I like this franchise but if we win back to back WS I'm debating keeping it or starting over. I may impose some restrictions and make up some reason to have to cut payroll. Corey Kluber is unhappy with his contract in this franchise so maybe I'll force myself to trade him. Things like that.

I also run a franchise with Bacons roster in 20. Fantasy drafted that one and it's basically a team that is ready to contend now. I'm 28 games into that one since I split time with this one and my Indians franchise. But Pedro Soaria is off to a monster start. Hitting .365 with 12 HR and 38 RBI in. My team is great all around expect for the bullpen. We are winning spite of them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-10-2022, 02:43 PM   #5
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

In year 2 of my franchise, Judge signed a huge deal with Detroit, and as of Aug 1 he has 42 home runs.

Sent from my thoughts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2022, 05:04 PM   #6
Pro

IndianSummer's Arena

Very early in my franchise with the Reds but the glaring storyline so far is that after the 2022 season I will have to sign 91 of 93 players. The only two signed past 2022 is Moustakas and Votto. Both of their contracts expire after 2023 season.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:00 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 6

Into September in Year 1 of my Tigers franchise (play every game, every pitch).

The storylines are honestly endless. Of course many through the year, but currently the major storyline is the playoff race. Our once 5+ game lead is down to a dead tie with White Sox.

The secondary story I love is the evolution of rookie Spencer Torkelson. Sooo rewarding to stick with your guy through some struggles and reap the fruits of labor later. He's gone from a mendoza line hitter- to one of the best players in all of baseball... all in year 1!

We've got an interesting schedule to finish, with LAA, CHW and HOU sprinkled in with the usual AL Central cellar dwellers (KC, MIN, CLE).

I've expressed this to others, but for me the single biggest franchise upgrade has been the in game ticker. They've really added a TON of great tidbits into that ticker, and it has made me more in tune with the happenings of the league than ever before. It really picks up as you get into the summer months too, with call ups, trades and awards races.

That ticker basically generates a ton of my storylines, and has kept me as interested in playing the game as I was week 1.

Last edited by GoBlue81188; 07-11-2022 at 04:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »