Home

PC vs PS4 - Super Mega Baseball 3

This is a discussion on PC vs PS4 - Super Mega Baseball 3 within the Super Mega Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Icon5 PC vs PS4 - Super Mega Baseball 3

As someone who is new to SMB3 (I have tried the demo on PS4, PC, and Switch) and would like to play with my boys here at home for fun and probably enjoy some franchise also which would you think would be the best route to go for my purchase PS4 vs PC?

I assume the only major benefit to PC would be mod possibilities (not sure how common this was for SMB2) and since I have a gaming PC some graphical improvements also? Any benefits to getting PC other than that? I would need to get another controller for PC (or figure out how to use the PS4 controllers with the PC) to play with the kids.

Would love to hear your opinions. As a father of 13yo and 11yo sons the demo may be the most fun we have had gaming together since they were younger and we would play Lego games (Super Heroes, Star Wars, etc). Recently we have only been playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 together. A sports game with this humor and simplicity is refreshing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: PC vs PS4 - Super Mega Baseball 3

Normally.. I will always recommend the PC version for the following reasons (but.. console might be your route if the following doesn’t matter)

1) graphically better if your pc can handle it, the textures will be unmatched.

2) you can do some minor mods such as audio. I have a thread showing you can add custom walk ups, home run songs, etc. but it does take some time to do and not a plug and play.

3) You said you have a good gaming PC so the smoothness of the game is just good on PC, despite some reports otherwise, my high end gaming rig doesn’t have a single drop. (I am sure Blzer would tell you the same thing)

4) PC gets updates before consoles.

Now.. a few things to note for your case.

You want to play with your sons, which is awesome. I love playing these games with my boy, nothing like it man! You have some options for controller if you go PC router - PDP Xbox controller for Windows from Best Buy is excellent. I have 3 of them. They run around $24.99 sometimes on sale for $19.99.

You can use ps4 controller simply by plugging your usb cable in to the pc and connecting it to the controller. However, buttons will still show the Xbox. And you’re gonna need a long cable otherwise you’re gonna be stuck right at the machine.

The other big thing that pops into my mind - can you connect your computer to your TV with ease? I imagine you three would not want to be crowded at the computer and would enjoy it on the big screen. If you can easily connect it, steams big picture mode makes it so easy to get up and running. I wouldn’t use steam link or anything to play this, I would only connect it directly via HDMI.

So things to consider:

Is it worth buying another controller or using PS4 controller with Xbox buttons showing?

Can you connect PC to TV so you guys can enjoy playing and are not cramped?

Would it just be easier to have it on PS4 so you can get up and running with no extra work required? (Hooking up controllers, hooking up to tv)

I’m not going to tell you which to get as you know your situation better than any of us, but hopefully I’ve given enough insight that can help you.

Both PC and PS4 play the game great, so you’re not gonna go wrong. Enjoy gaming with your kiddos man!
Old 05-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Normally.. I will always recommend the PC version for the following reasons (but.. console might be your route if the following doesn’t matter)

1) graphically better if your pc can handle it, the textures will be unmatched.

2) you can do some minor mods such as audio. I have a thread showing you can add custom walk ups, home run songs, etc. but it does take some time to do and not a plug and play.

3) You said you have a good gaming PC so the smoothness of the game is just good on PC, despite some reports otherwise, my high end gaming rig doesn’t have a single drop. (I am sure Blzer would tell you the same thing)

4) PC gets updates before consoles.

Now.. a few things to note for your case.

You want to play with your sons, which is awesome. I love playing these games with my boy, nothing like it man! You have some options for controller if you go PC router - PDP Xbox controller for Windows from Best Buy is excellent. I have 3 of them. They run around $24.99 sometimes on sale for $19.99.

You can use ps4 controller simply by plugging your usb cable in to the pc and connecting it to the controller. However, buttons will still show the Xbox. And you’re gonna need a long cable otherwise you’re gonna be stuck right at the machine.

The other big thing that pops into my mind - can you connect your computer to your TV with ease? I imagine you three would not want to be crowded at the computer and would enjoy it on the big screen. If you can easily connect it, steams big picture mode makes it so easy to get up and running. I wouldn’t use steam link or anything to play this, I would only connect it directly via HDMI.

So things to consider:

Is it worth buying another controller or using PS4 controller with Xbox buttons showing?

Can you connect PC to TV so you guys can enjoy playing and are not cramped?

Would it just be easier to have it on PS4 so you can get up and running with no extra work required? (Hooking up controllers, hooking up to tv)

I’m not going to tell you which to get as you know your situation better than any of us, but hopefully I’ve given enough insight that can help you.

Both PC and PS4 play the game great, so you’re not gonna go wrong. Enjoy gaming with your kiddos man!
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Can easily hook up to the TV (do it all the time) so that isn't a problem. Didn't realize the PS4 controllers were so easy to hook up to the PC. My previous PC was Windows 7 and getting PS4 controllers hooked up to it was a nightmare when I tried.

I am looking for the demo on PC but can't find it on steam is there one somewhere?
Old 05-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Can easily hook up to the TV (do it all the time) so that isn't a problem. Didn't realize the PS4 controllers were so easy to hook up to the PC. My previous PC was Windows 7 and getting PS4 controllers hooked up to it was a nightmare when I tried.

I am looking for the demo on PC but can't find it on steam is there one somewhere?
Go to the game on the steam store page and you will see demo somewhere under the pics and videos I believe. It’ll be a button that says download demo.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
MVP

RandallB21's Arena

OVR: 8

Also if you want shared custom teams or teampacks, like the MLB one my team created, you will need the PC version

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Madden 20 (PC)
NBA 2K21 (PS4)
PGA 2K21 (PS4)
MLB 20: The Show (PS4)
Street Fighter V (PS4/PC)
Super Mega Baseball 3 (PC)
Fire Pro Wrestling World (PC)

BS: San Jose State 01'
MA: Michigan State 11'
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I had the PS4 version of SMB 2 and went with the PC version of SMB 3, for pretty much all of the reasons stated above. I only have a 3440x1440 monitor so not 4K, but it's 1440p and ultrawide, and it looks great without hitches and maxed out stuff. Sadly though, it doesn't appear that this game supports NVIDIA filters (if anyone knows a workaround, that would be great).

The only drawback I had purchasing on PC was that I had a custom team in SMB 2 and couldn't import it to another device type, so I had to recreate my team from scratch. This process took several hours, but now that I have finished, that is all behind me.

I use my PS4 controller plugged into my desktop via USB, by the way. There is an option to turn on "rumble," but I haven't yet felt any rumble in this game. However, I also don't remember when vibration was activated at all in SMB 2, either.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 05-26-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I had the PS4 version of SMB 2 and went with the PC version of SMB 3, for pretty much all of the reasons stated above. I only have a 3440x1440 monitor so not 4K, but it's 1440p and ultrawide, and it looks great without hitches and maxed out stuff. Sadly though, it doesn't appear that this game supports NVIDIA filters (if anyone knows a workaround, that would be great).

The only drawback I had purchasing on PC was that I had a custom team in SMB 2 and couldn't import it to another device type, so I had to recreate my team from scratch. This process took several hours, but now that I have finished, that is all behind me.

I use my PS4 controller plugged into my desktop via USB, by the way. There is an option to turn on "rumble," but I haven't yet felt any rumble in this game. However, I also don't remember when vibration was activated at all in SMB 2, either.
Do you have Bluetooth on your PC? Try it that way.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #8
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpsyched
Do you have Bluetooth on your PC? Try it that way.
I'm actually okay with no rumble in my baseball games, but it's a general thing that I'm trying to work out, because I haven't felt it in a couple of other games as well (but then I feel it in COD).

The reason I'd prefer using USB over Bluetooth is it then recognizes the PS button scheme instead of Xbox.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball »