Home

Top Spin 4 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360, PS3)

This is a discussion on Top Spin 4 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360, PS3) within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #41
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Top Spin 4 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360, PS3)

Would of liked to see a difference with how the ball reacts on the two different surfaces. Clay should have less bounce and slower movement. Didn't notice any difference but the demo is still good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
I have yet to see an unforced error in the statistics. Either they aren't being collected properly or I don't know what an unforced error is. Is it possible to not have a winner and not have an unforced error on the same point?
Yes, it is.

Why do you think they use the term "unforced" to distinguish types of errors?

Let's say you blast a forehand down the line which your opponent is forced to stretch for and returns over the baseline. This by definition is a "forced" error because you asked your opponent to hit a difficult shot, which they were unable to do. But it wasn't a clean winner either...
Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 16

Federer keeps popping it up to Nadal, because I am hitting strong shots, but what are the controls to do an overhead? All he does is a weak forehand or a weak volley.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #44
Rookie

Randiesel75's Arena

OVR: 15
I'm loving this game, so much that I just preordered on Amazon. For those unaware, the preorder now comes with free release date shipping and a $20 credit to your account.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #45
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

One thing about aces - I understand people being frustrated by not seeing them, but at the same time you have to realize that aces aren't really that prevalent and that it's far often the unreturnable serve or short ball for an easy winner than just a clean ace. Outside of the guys like Roddick, Isner, Karlovic, the best servers on the ATP tour usually average only 10 aces a match at most. Federer only averages about 6 aces a match, Nadal only about 4, Djokovic only about 7.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/MatchFacts.aspx

Again,not saying that lack of aces isn't a potential problem, just that I'd much rather have it like that then every serve being like Roddicks. And in the demo it's still possible to get the big serve in using the right stick serving, even if its not for aces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randiesel75
I'm loving this game, so much that I just preordered on Amazon. For those unaware, the preorder now comes with free release date shipping and a $20 credit to your account.
Was going to post this yesterday, wasn't sure where to put it. But yeah thanks for sharing, $20 credit is definitely a great deal, I'll probably use it for TW 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
Would of liked to see a difference with how the ball reacts on the two different surfaces. Clay should have less bounce and slower movement. Didn't notice any difference but the demo is still good.
Actually the ball usually bounces higher on clay IRL. One of the reasons why Nadal is so dominant on it, the top spin he produces is pretty much unmatched and makes it difficult for his opponents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Federer keeps popping it up to Nadal, because I am hitting strong shots, but what are the controls to do an overhead? All he does is a weak forehand or a weak volley.
You use RB to get into the net. Usually when you play a good shot that forces your opponent off the court, come in to anticipate the weak return and put away the easy volley.

Last edited by rangerrick012; 03-02-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 16

@Rangerrick: I do come to the net, and attempt a volley, but how do I come to the net and hit an overhead?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Top Spin 4 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360/PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallberries
Huh? Not sure what game you were playing, but serving in TS3 was incredibly easy. In other words, terrible and overly simplistic. Very few aces, for either you or your AI opponent.
I was talking about the game not the serving, but on the matter of serving, TS4 is easier since you don't get punished for failing to tap the serve buttons twice or push analogue stick in two directions. At least in TS3, you completely miss the ball thus punishing you. In this you don't get punished that much. You just hit a weak serve.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #48
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair
Yes, it is.

Why do you think they use the term "unforced" to distinguish types of errors?

Let's say you blast a forehand down the line which your opponent is forced to stretch for and returns over the baseline. This by definition is a "forced" error because you asked your opponent to hit a difficult shot, which they were unable to do. But it wasn't a clean winner either...
I figured this much, but I couldn't tell for sure when I thought a few shots from myself and my opponent were unforced errors. I haven't seen them counted in the stats so had to check. Thanks.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »