Home

If you're a fan of Tennis you gotta try this!

This is a discussion on If you're a fan of Tennis you gotta try this! within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: If you're a fan of Tennis you gotta try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionMaximus
Hey smallberries try this lower your CPU opponent's FH/BH Accuracy to 0 and then play a full match on Real-Life difficulty and tell me what you think. You and I are probably very similiar in our FAT abilities because I also was getting crushed but when I tweaked the CPU's FH/BH to 0 the game really became unbelievably fun and even more realisic to me (still lost 4-6 4-6), the amazing thing the CPU started to actually make errors like me, not anything dumb or unrealistic, but ultra realistic (I can't remember the CPU stats but it was something like 18 winners/16 unforced errors).

Yeah the stats do matter or atleast a few of them. If you do adjust some players groundstrokes and they are stronger in the volley department then they will serve & volley, in other-words they will play to their strengths. As of right now Kschoice said the stamina is not working but he is working on it. The challenge system is AWESOME.
Now that sounds like what I'm talking about! Good to know.

I gotta say, though, that I won my first set today against a top 100 player (after about 50 matches). Woohoo! I still had too many UEs, particularly BH dumps into the net, in comparison to the AI, but I've come a long way. Very very slowly.

It might be cool if FA had lower tiers of tournaments for a group of players with much lower attributes, like you suggested. That would be a good way to ween newbies on the gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #26
Rookie

Quote:
Also one more thing I figured out when talking of difficulty in returning serve especially when facing the big servers is if you tap a button without preparing you will kinda block the ball back (not always successful as in real-life but if done correctly you will sometimes).
Now, this will kinda put you on your heels defensively but it at least gives you a chance. Kinda like Federer does with Roddick's Rockets just blocks them back into play. It's kinda hard to rip return winners off of 145 mph rocket in real-life. It also can be used on your groundstrokes when on defense as it gives you a longer reach defensively.

Being able to jam someone with your serve or groundstrokes (wrong-footing a player) is extremely satisfing and not seen in a Tennis game before until Full Ace Tennis.
Another tactic that I've picked up and that is working for me is to move out a couple feet wider toward the doubles allies. I've found that this will often help in two ways: 1) the AI player will try to go even wider, resulting in a few more faults, and 2) the AI will more likely try to go down the line, meaning you can take off a step quicker in trying to return it. Doing this has reduced the the number of AI aces against me significantly. They still get some, but it's much more of a realistic number. I haven't faced Roddick yet, so not sure my tactic will work against him.

And yes, I agree about the challenge system. It's great and really adds to the immersion and fun of the game.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:48 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallberries

I gotta say, though, that I won my first set today against a top 100 player (after about 50 matches). Woohoo! I still had too many UEs, particularly BH dumps into the net, in comparison to the AI, but I've come a long way. Very very slowly.

It might be cool if FA had lower tiers of tournaments for a group of players with much lower attributes, like you suggested. That would be a good way to ween newbies on the gameplay.
Sounds like your really improving alot, I am still getting my butt kicked until I lowered the Accuracy of CPU FH/BH then it was really fun. I have to admit though I have been working on Modding the game alot.

I noticed that the differences in difficulty easy, med, real-life doesn't make it really easier just kinda adjust the aggressive nature/ the amount of pace on shots. On easy they kinda of roll the ball back with alot of topspin not going for a whole lot, Real-life they hit the crap out of everything and are Offensive all the time, med is a little mixture of both.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #28
Banned

Quote:

That does sound cool. I believe in-time he will have everything included remember the game was built from the ground up and only been out for a year. So I see alot of great things in the future of Full Ace.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Sounds like your really improving alot, I am still getting my butt kicked until I lowered the Accuracy of CPU FH/BH then it was really fun. I have to admit though I have been working on Modding the game alot.

I noticed that the differences in difficulty easy, med, real-life doesn't make it really easier just kinda adjust the aggressive nature/ the amount of pace on shots. On easy they kinda of roll the ball back with alot of topspin not going for a whole lot, Real-life they hit the crap out of everything and are Offensive all the time, med is a little mixture of both.
Hey, Agassi74, (yeah that's me over there), you've nailed it on the AI aggressiveness difficulties. They really change the pace they hit with. I also see them hit more UEs on "real life" mode, but their winners are just brutal.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #30
Rookie

I was able to play the demo via Parallels on a Mac. The practice area worked great (the game seemed very hard, esp on keyboard), but crashed when I went to exhibition because the video couldn't handle it. Damn.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #31
Pro

evilc08's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Overall: I'd take Full Ace slightly over Top Spin 4 because of its committment to authenticity and its modibility. AND it's only about $20. Oh, and I also haven't found a way to exploit the gameplay yet in FA, as I did in TS4. Having said that, if 2k Sports addresses the lack of unforced errors, the arcadey career mode, and the service/return parts of the game (more risk/reward), I see Top Spin 5 as being hard to beat.
That is the problem with the Topspin franchise. Their changes, while some great, are mostly small. The same issues that we have complained about for years now still remain unchanged. I agree if they did work on things, it could be unrivaled, but they choose not to.

I have been busy and not committed to FA as of yet, but I see the potential. The changes being addressed over time are a step in the right direction. I like the difficulty, but some changes in controls will go a long way. The other thing is making the cpu opponent's rating matter, as well as stamina. It's nice to change the names to be realistic, but not if two different styles or rating sets can not be differentiated.

Ashford Pines Golf Club (front 9)

Full version release June 2016

Challenging course without the cheap gimmicks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Hey, Agassi74, (yeah that's me over there), you've nailed it on the AI aggressiveness difficulties. They really change the pace they hit with. I also see them hit more UEs on "real life" mode, but their winners are just brutal.
In regards to difficulty on real life when they rip winners it's like playing Del Potro "Grip & Rip".

Last edited by MissionMaximus; 04-30-2011 at 10:15 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »