Home

AO International Tennis

This is a discussion on AO International Tennis within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #257
Rookie

TMuss's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: AO International Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAntStudios
You will like an upcoming patch for sure
I just wanted to personally thank you for the work you've done and continue to do on this game. Kudos to listening to the community over the past few months.....not something many of us are used to!

I have a few wishlist items I'd like to see added or edited.....I'm going to stay away from the gameplay aspect since I'm old (39) and stopped playing video games at harder difficulty levels because I don't want (or need) the stress!

1) Ability to add or replace players in an already active career mode. I keep starting a career and then a ton of great created players come out and I'm like...well, I gotta have them in my career. I understand that the career mode needs to lock the roster (can't be deleting players left and right), but if we could add new players who will start from that point on or be able to replace an outdated Federer with a new one.

2) Able to customize tournament schedules (edit names, structure) and add custom tournaments (which could allow us to add stuff like the Davis Cup)

3) For the courts, the ability to have squared stands like Indian Wells.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #258
Pro

OVR: 0

This game is severely underrated.

I played for 6-7 hours the first day I got it (PC), and it was only after the first 2 hours that the gameplay really started to click. First impressions are everything, and because of the games hitting style (Similar to Tennis Elbow), and movement style, the game isn't a "pick up and play" like Top Spin and Virtua Tennis were. After my first couple hours, I was hitting winners on the move, serving and volleying, approaching the net with confidence, chasing down lobs, etc. This game is very skill based, unfortunately the majority of the people playing don't want to take the time to learn it.

The game has it's issues. Tennis is all about footwork, quick feet. Sometimes foot planting hurts the change of direction, and it gives the user a "heavy" feeling. I feel like this could be patched and fixed pretty easily. I also want to point out: I still don't believe the foot planting kills this games feel, just a slight adjustment that needs to be made. It suffers a little from herky jerky animations that happen from time to time, or your player having a sudden burst of speed as he is transferred to the ball. But, once the game is learned, the movement is learned, those herky jerky animations are basically cut in half.

The ball speed and match pace is possibly the best that I have seen in a Tennis game, it's very realistic. I like the pace better than Top Spin 4 (Which of course, everybody is comparing this to). This game is very challenging, as your margin for error is very small once you play on Veteran or Legend difficulty. But, that's part of the enjoyment of it. Unfortunately, first impressions can kill a game, and with that high learning curve (Needing to master it), the heavy feet at times, and the aiming of shots (Tennis Elbow-esque), people are putting the controller down fast. Some polish like fixing the foot planting issue, eliminating some of the herky jerky animations, and this game will not only give a better first impression (feel), but it will be a VERY good tennis simulation.

The create a player function is maybe the deepest I have ever seen in a video game, the ability to download other peoples creations was a beautiful idea, and even with the lack of licensing, I believe that the career mode would get more of a pass if the gameplay had those tweaks. If they allowed for a multi-user career mode, that would be amazing. The ability to make accurate cyberfaces (using real pictures of faces), is severely underrated. Go look at all of them, Chang, Agassi, Muster, Djokovic, Federer, Raonic, Monfils, etc. And, the created venues are stunning and true to life.

I actually sent a very long email to the creators of this game (Big Ant Studios), as well as tweeted at the CEO detailing what I thought should be included in future patches. For anybody reading this, I recommend this game. Plan to spend between 2-5 hours just learning how to move on the court, how to time your shots, it's worth it, trust me. This game is criminally underrated right now, I support the direction Big Ant went in, and continues to go in.

I feel like this game needs to have all reviews redone, that's how well the game is playing right now. Big Ant Studios has listened to feedback over the months, and implemented numerous gameplay improvements. The game feels really good, the customization is deep, and the modes are adequate for the time being. Visually, the game looks stunning. And, any reviewer that touches this game should know a lot about tennis, not just some random dude reviewing it. People who appreciate real tennis (Not pick up and play, can't hit it out, Virtua Tennis), will appreciate this game. I am not knocking Virtua Tennis, but comparing AO to Virtua Tennis is like Comparing NBA 2K to the NBA Jam Series. Both completely different gameplay directions.

To prove that first impression is everything, look how well Virtua Tennis did while having bare bones game modes, and virtually no customization? It's because when first picked up and played, the user's first impression was that it felt good on the controls, it reacted fast, it was fun. Again, you can't compare the two titles because they are completely different games, but you can take something from that example. AO International Tennis has improved it's first impression a lot, but it can improve it a little more with a couple more tweaks.

I love this game, I want Big And Studios to get the credit they deserve for this fine title. I don't want this to be the only game in the series. TWT suffers from lack of customization, slower than real life pace/ball speed, and lack of content at the moment. It's relevant to bring of Tennis World Tour, because at the moment that is the DIRECT competition for this game in the market. It's been highly touted, but I see more potential in AO, and I feel like AO is a better tennis simulation at the moment.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #259
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDee4Three
This game is severely underrated.

I played for 6-7 hours the first day I got it (PC), and it was only after the first 2 hours that the gameplay really started to click. First impressions are everything, and because of the games hitting style (Similar to Tennis Elbow), and movement style, the game isn't a "pick up and play" like Top Spin and Virtua Tennis were. After my first couple hours, I was hitting winners on the move, serving and volleying, approaching the net with confidence, chasing down lobs, etc. This game is very skill based, unfortunately the majority of the people playing don't want to take the time to learn it.

The game has it's issues. Tennis is all about footwork, quick feet. Sometimes foot planting hurts the change of direction, and it gives the user a "heavy" feeling. I feel like this could be patched and fixed pretty easily. I also want to point out: I still don't believe the foot planting kills this games feel, just a slight adjustment that needs to be made. It suffers a little from herky jerky animations that happen from time to time, or your player having a sudden burst of speed as he is transferred to the ball. But, once the game is learned, the movement is learned, those herky jerky animations are basically cut in half.

The ball speed and match pace is possibly the best that I have seen in a Tennis game, it's very realistic. I like the pace better than Top Spin 4 (Which of course, everybody is comparing this to). This game is very challenging, as your margin for error is very small once you play on Veteran or Legend difficulty. But, that's part of the enjoyment of it. Unfortunately, first impressions can kill a game, and with that high learning curve (Needing to master it), the heavy feet at times, and the aiming of shots (Tennis Elbow-esque), people are putting the controller down fast. Some polish like fixing the foot planting issue, eliminating some of the herky jerky animations, and this game will not only give a better first impression (feel), but it will be a VERY good tennis simulation.

The create a player function is maybe the deepest I have ever seen in a video game, the ability to download other peoples creations was a beautiful idea, and even with the lack of licensing, I believe that the career mode would get more of a pass if the gameplay had those tweaks. If they allowed for a multi-user career mode, that would be amazing. The ability to make accurate cyberfaces (using real pictures of faces), is severely underrated. Go look at all of them, Chang, Agassi, Muster, Djokovic, Federer, Raonic, Monfils, etc. And, the created venues are stunning and true to life.

I actually sent a very long email to the creators of this game (Big Ant Studios), as well as tweeted at the CEO detailing what I thought should be included in future patches. For anybody reading this, I recommend this game. Plan to spend between 2-5 hours just learning how to move on the court, how to time your shots, it's worth it, trust me. This game is criminally underrated right now, I support the direction Big Ant went in, and continues to go in.

I feel like this game needs to have all reviews redone, that's how well the game is playing right now. Big Ant Studios has listened to feedback over the months, and implemented numerous gameplay improvements. The game feels really good, the customization is deep, and the modes are adequate for the time being. Visually, the game looks stunning. And, any reviewer that touches this game should know a lot about tennis, not just some random dude reviewing it. People who appreciate real tennis (Not pick up and play, can't hit it out, Virtua Tennis), will appreciate this game. I am not knocking Virtua Tennis, but comparing AO to Virtua Tennis is like Comparing NBA 2K to the NBA Jam Series. Both completely different gameplay directions.

To prove that first impression is everything, look how well Virtua Tennis did while having bare bones game modes, and virtually no customization? It's because when first picked up and played, the user's first impression was that it felt good on the controls, it reacted fast, it was fun. Again, you can't compare the two titles because they are completely different games, but you can take something from that example. AO International Tennis has improved it's first impression a lot, but it can improve it a little more with a couple more tweaks.

I love this game, I want Big And Studios to get the credit they deserve for this fine title. I don't want this to be the only game in the series. TWT suffers from lack of customization, slower than real life pace/ball speed, and lack of content at the moment. It's relevant to bring of Tennis World Tour, because at the moment that is the DIRECT competition for this game in the market. It's been highly touted, but I see more potential in AO, and I feel like AO is a better tennis simulation at the moment.

I couldn’t have said it better. I love this game, I love that I make mistakes and the cpu will too. I love that I can play a real player in my career 80%+ of the time.

I do want more hair styles, clothing styles, etc. to really add to that amazing creation/share feature already there. As for gameplay, an improvement to net play would be my biggest request. I’ve asked OS to do a review for this game in its current state so that the community can find out about this gem. I think people who put TWT on the same level as this aren’t seeing something or most likely, just like a different game style. I bought both, I deleted TWT from my library the other day.

Thanks AO, thanks Ross, keep the patches rolling!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #260
Pro

Thanks!

Agreed on net play. Sometimes unnatural lunges happen when they should not, and slams (overheads) could be smoothed out, sometimes they happen faster than they should, making it look like animations are skipped (A good comparison to this would be rocket dunks in some NBA Live games). However, the net play is far from broken, serving and volleying is still a strategy that is worth using (With the right players), and I still approach with confidence most of the time.

Underrated is the two-player local play. My brother and I played for 5 hours last night, and it's the first tennis game where it doesn't feel like the player on the top has a disadvantage. Normally in tennis games, it's hard to adjust your shot speeds/place shots when using the player on the top, but AO found a way to make it comparable to being on the bottom. We had a blast, we played 4 matches.

Lets keep promoting this game, Big Ant Studios and Ross deserve it, as they have listened to the feedback and implemented it into patches.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #261
Rookie

New update today:

Notes
Mid match save games for Casual, Australian Open Mode, Competition and Career.

Added Aiming Marker sensitivity slider

Performance Optimisations.

Fixed General Audio Issues.

Roofs can be set to closed for matches
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #262
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolmpordes
New update today:

Notes
Mid match save games for Casual, Australian Open Mode, Competition and Career.

Added Aiming Marker sensitivity slider

Performance Optimisations.

Fixed General Audio Issues.

Roofs can be set to closed for matches

Good patch but there is a big bug.
The public applause before the end of point every time now. It's really strange.

I hope a fix will be out very soon for that
Old 06-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #263
Rookie

melody1's Arena

Absolutely loving this but just hate the sound of the ball. Don't sound realistic to me.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #264
MVP

sportdan30's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody1
Absolutely loving this but just hate the sound of the ball. Don't sound realistic to me.

They’re supposedly working on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »