Home

Can we just get a Virtua tennis and be done wit this nonsense?

This is a discussion on Can we just get a Virtua tennis and be done wit this nonsense? within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Can we just get a Virtua tennis and be done wit this nonsense?

Really wish we could get another Virtua Tennis instead of these supposedly sim games that don't even come close to hitting the mark. A next gen version would be really welcomed at this point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2018, 01:21 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Can we just get a Virtua tennis and be done wit this nonsense?

After fight night champion, I’m cautiously optimistic something will be made Backwards Compatible. At this point I’ll take something from last gen.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Banned

I would take a last gen version.

I would love to know how Fight Night got cleared. I really thought there was zero chance of it making the jump to BC.

I'm not a big enough fan of tennis to want a sim, like Top Spin. Tennis is just a great platform for an article style game, and Virtua Tennis was just fantastic.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
Rookie

I talked to Sumo Digital( makers of VT3 & VT2009) and they said they'd love to see a new VT....but it sadly isn't up to them. So let's hassle Sega to revive this series, as the devs are game.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Really wish we could get another Virtua Tennis instead of these supposedly sim games that don't even come close to hitting the mark. A next gen version would be really welcomed at this point.
Replace "Virtua Tennis" with "Top Spin 4" and I'm with you

But yeah the Tennis gaming and sports gaming in general has taken a huge leap backwards since the advent of current gen consoles. Can't believe we have to suffer through the so so called "sim Tennis games" such as AOIT and TWT which belong to PS2, forget PS3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2018, 01:25 AM   #6
Pro

Completely disagree about the new tennis games being "nonsense", and also disagree with the simulation aspect "missing the mark".

I've been playing Tennis video games since the early 90s, my first being Super Tennis for SNES. I moved ones Davis Cup Tennis for Sega, Game Net Match for PC, and Virtua Tennis/Top Spin series after. Most recently it was Tennis Elbow.

I am really picky about tennis video games, and AO international Tennis is a fine game in its current build. Anybody that goes by the early reviews is certainly missing out, AO is a good tennis simulation, has deep customization, a great community, etc. Stating so confidently that AO is missing the mark by a wide margin, tells me that you either havn't played it in its current build, or are going by reviews from earlier this year, or don't understand the game of tennis. Not flaming here, just being honest. If someone can make comments like that, surely someone can come to the insulted games defense.

AO still has tweaking to be done to the gameplay, but even in its current state it is a fine tennis simulation, it's also visually stunning. The match pace/ball speed are possibly the best that I have seen in a tennis game.

The only nonsense is someone blindly insulting a game that they possibly havn't even played, or played an earlier build, while cramming for an arcade tennis game. TWT has some work to do, AO is already feeling solid, and is certainly worthy of a spot on this gen visually and gameplay wise.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDee4Three
Completely disagree about the new tennis games being "nonsense", and also disagree with the simulation aspect "missing the mark".

I've been playing Tennis video games since the early 90s, my first being Super Tennis for SNES. I moved ones Davis Cup Tennis for Sega, Game Net Match for PC, and Virtua Tennis/Top Spin series after. Most recently it was Tennis Elbow.

I am really picky about tennis video games, and AO international Tennis is a fine game in its current build. Anybody that goes by the early reviews is certainly missing out, AO is a good tennis simulation, has deep customization, a great community, etc. Stating so confidently that AO is missing the mark by a wide margin, tells me that you either havn't played it in its current build, or are going by reviews from earlier this year, or don't understand the game of tennis. Not flaming here, just being honest. If someone can make comments like that, surely someone can come to the insulted games defense.

AO still has tweaking to be done to the gameplay, but even in its current state it is a fine tennis simulation, it's also visually stunning. The match pace/ball speed are possibly the best that I have seen in a tennis game.

The only nonsense is someone blindly insulting a game that they possibly havn't even played, or played an earlier build, while cramming for an arcade tennis game. TWT has some work to do, AO is already feeling solid, and is certainly worthy of a spot on this gen visually and gameplay wise.
I agree with you, AOIT gets a really bad rap. I feel it's a mix of people bandwagoning the hate and people expecting another "VirtuaTennis/TopSpin" styled game and being turned off because it isn't either.

It has the deepest career mode, mind-blowing levels of creation/customization options for stadiums, kits, players, gameplay and career, it has strong graphics and lots of nice details that help immersion. It's almost like a make your own tennis game. Sure it has flaws, it is a budget game after all....but it's much more deserving of good word, than all of the negativity it gets.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #8
Pro

Well said.

It's similar to NBA Live 18. The game was already getting murdered out of the gate, people were calling it "trash, "garbage, etc. Telling the series to "give up". But this was without any hands on experience, it was also dismissed almost immediately by a lot of people on its first build. The game was actually pretty good, and the gameplay videos for Live 19 look even better.

Imagine how dicouragung that is for a company, for people to immediately dismiss a game, and not even for the right reasons. They dismiss because it's not the "hip" or "cool" game. Especially with a company like Big Ant Studios, who put so much effort into personalizing the game for the public, who gave the game deep customization that allows us to create accurate tennis players from any era, and who continues to bust out patches that improve the game.

NBA 2K18 has a slew of flaws, including blow by defense(worst one on one defense on this gen, and maybe last gen), unrealistic lighting, skating on the court, oversized heads flooding the league, etc. All of these things didn't get brought up in the IGN reviews, or any other reviews I saw. Why? Because it's the cool game to play, don't you know? Everybody is playing it!!

Nothing wrong with comparing titles to eachother, that's healthy. But to completely crap on, or dismiss a title as trash, or call it garbage, or to insult a companies game or direction prematurely, or without hands on experience, or without an actual pros and cons critique, really doesn't do any good for the video game industry. If anything it can help create uneducated opinions by those who read said comments "well, I heard the game was trash, so I'll wait for the next Top Spin". The person saying that and who is influenced by threads started like this, will be missing out on a good tennis simulation and endless hours of entertainment.

We live in a soundbite generation, unfortunately. Someone can give a detailed breakdown (independent review) of a game, and it won't get as much attention as a "This game is trash" comment, tweet, or post. Seems that a lot of people consider anything more than a sentence or paragraph to be word vomit, or a "if you are explaining, or have to explain, you are lying". It really gets under my skin.

Last edited by RetroDee4Three; 06-18-2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »